All things Wooly!

How are you finding the raddle paint for longevity? And for repeats?

Harnesses aren't built like they were. Always a crayon or two missing or a broken raddle come colour change day!
It comes as a powder and I just mix it up with chainsaw oil. It lasts ok. I usually replace it every second or third day. For a man with a lot of sheep like yourself I'd say you'd have a full time job replacing it.

I have been meaning to put a proper harness on them but I've heard mixed reports from lads. Do you ever find the harness interferes with the rams ability to mount a ewe? Or is that more down to lads not fitting them correctly?

It comes as a powder and I just mix it up with chainsaw oil. It lasts ok. I usually replace it every second or third day. For a man with a lot of sheep like yourself I'd say you'd have a full time job replacing it.

I have been meaning to put a proper harness on them but I've heard mixed reports from lads. Do you ever find the harness interferes with the rams ability to mount a ewe? Or is that more down to lads not fitting them correctly?
I'll stick to crayons then! At least they last a cycle!

They shouldn't interfere at all. They do need to be on snug, but not stupidly tight!

I'll stick to crayons then! At least they last a cycle!

They shouldn't interfere at all. They do need to be on snug, but not stupidly tight!
The raddle paint is handy for that ram because he will come to a bucket of meal and let me paint him when I'm down looking at the ewes.

Yeah that's what I was thinking myself but having never used them myself I couldn't comment. How often do you change the crayon colour?

Reactions: AYF
The raddle paint is handy for that ram because he will come to a bucket of meal and let me paint him when I'm down looking at the ewes.

Yeah that's what I was thinking myself but having never used them myself I couldn't comment. How often do you change the crayon colour?
About every two weeks.
We only change 3 times. If she's empty at scanning after that it's down the road she goes.

Been some year for lambs, talk of €7 on the cards now. How are lads faring out with lambs left? Only about 70 left here , housed 30 the other day to see how they finish inside.

Been some year for lambs, talk of €7 on the cards now. How are lads faring out with lambs left? Only about 70 left here , housed 30 the other day to see how they finish inside.
Typically we sent a decent sized batch Sunday, price is up 30ppk today!
Same with old ewes, got £100 for a group we decided to take last minute last week. Poorer ewes made £140 today!!!

Still a small group left here. Can't complain on the price this year to be fair!

I hope there at €7 in the spring when mine are ready.🤩

• Haha
Reactions: AYF
Those of yee with sheep, is it just around this region that sheep men go begging every other farmer for grass for sheep for the winter.
All our owned land was sheep fenced initially to keep the neighbours Out , and I set the home farm til 1st week of January .
Bit of a roughish ground that I have rented on 11 months system wouldnt be fenced for them but a neighbour merning it set his grass to another sheepman.heap of sheep came to his ground yesterday but this morning I see my bit must be more palatable.
Do laugh when I see some of these talking about grassland management and measuring grass and how we should do it, and then meet them running the roads looking at batches of sheep here and there all winter.
Get a few euro for the sheep unfortunately I'm not sure who to bill for a large batch of swans.

Those of yee with sheep, is it just around this region that sheep men go begging every other very little of that goes on a farmer for grass for sheep for the winter.
All our owned land was sheep fenced initially to keep the neighbours Out , and I set the home farm til 1st week of January .
Bit of a roughish ground that I have rented on 11 months system wouldnt be fenced for them but a neighbour merning it set his grass to another sheepman.heap of sheep came to und yesterday but this morning I see my bit must be more palatable.
Do laugh when I see some of these talking about grassland management and measuring grass and how we should do it, and then meet them running the roads looking at batches of sheep here and there all winter.
Get a few euro for the sheep unfortunately I'm not sure who to bill for a large batch of swans.
None of that goes on around here but there's few enough dairy farms anyways. What's the going rate for it?

10 cent a day generally.there is only half a dozen of us milking here.even they take grass of cattle men mostly

Those of yee with sheep, is it just around this region that sheep men go begging every other farmer for grass for sheep for the winter.
Bit of a roughish ground that I have rented on 11 months system wouldnt be fenced for them but a neighbour merning it set his grass to another sheepman.heap of sheep came to his ground yesterday but this morning I see my bit must be more palatable.
If I ever leave a field of grass I get people ringing up,last year I was very late buying store lambs and I had every man and his dog ringing up,being very visible off a main road doesn’t help.

Never house any store lambs, they’ll be on creep outside starting in December until they’ll ready, I’ve a nice bit of grass yet. Haven’t started creep feeding. 7.10 is serious money easy to make money at sheep these days.

Never house any store lambs, they’ll be on creep outside starting in December until they’ll ready, I’ve a nice bit of grass yet. Haven’t started creep feeding. 7.10 is serious money easy to make money at sheep these days.
Ah their stores, good too see ye men getting a good twist out of them. I housed horned lambs this year just to see how it works out for finishing. Never done it before so see how it works out.. Serious money alright, Father keeps saying he handed over the farm at the wrong time, ha!

Ah their stores, good too see ye men getting a good twist out of them. I housed horned lambs this year just to see how it works out for finishing. Never done it before so see how it works out.. Serious money alright, Father keeps saying he handed over the farm at the wrong time, ha!
You’ll do well this year on the horned lambs know a few lads who house serious amounts of horned stores 1,000’s and 1,000’s it’s just a numbers game,on a normal year they might turn a few euro a head after the meal bill is paid…..

You’ll do well this year on the horned lambs know a few lads who house serious amounts of horned stores 1,000’s and 1,000’s it’s just a numbers game,on a normal year they might turn a few euro a head after the meal bill is paid…..
My horned lambs would be born on grass and never see mountain so theor a good weight before I start feeding. Helps hugely with the meal bill.

My horned lambs would be born on grass and never see mountain so theor a good weight before I start feeding. Helps hugely with the meal bill.
If u can get them to 35/37 kgs before meal it’s a massive help not always possible tho.

Back