alternative forages

Sender's only could morning earlier how last year was a dream compared to this, it's dear feed if your damaging ground, but you look to be avoiding anything too serious, I'd. Much rather see 50% left behind and plough it down than make muck, it's too hard on cattle and ground.
I’ve noticed this year that their feet are quite tender and they don’t really like walking, it’s just the constant wet since the day they went on it. There was a notable difference in their form today after the few dry days.

I do the following.
2018 Winter wheat. Then direct sowed forage triticale in September 2018 which I mowed this year on the 4/5/19. Then straight back in with maize which I cut in late October last.
The triticale did about 8t/acre at 30%DM 11.5%protein and 76DMD.
The maize did 20t at 32Dry matter and 32starch.
What kind of seed rate would you use and is the seed expensive? What’s your usually input strategy tony? That’s a fantastic use of land between crops.

we are only saying earlier how last year was a dream compared to this, it's dear feed if your damaging ground, but you look to be avoiding anything too serious, I'd. Much rather see 50% left behind and plough it down than make muck, it's too hard on cattle and ground.

I was hoping for a few round feeders with bars missing plonked out in an island of slop that would make the Somme look like a sunshine holiday.

you have disappointed me :lol:

Didn't you miss the tracks around the feeders that look like the trenches at the Somme and the bits of plastic blowing around....

Had you hoped for a bulkier crop BB?

Didn't you miss the tracks around the feeders that look like the trenches at the Somme and the bits of plastic blowing around....

Had you hoped for a bulkier crop BB?
The area where they are grazing only got about 30 units of N, I ran out when giving it urea in sept and never went back, the rest of the crop is a good bit better but I didint go mad with fertiliser on any of it

The area where they are grazing only got about 30 units of N, I ran out when giving it urea in sept and never went back, the rest of the crop is a good bit better but I didint go mad with fertiliser on any of it

Maybe It's a blessing in disguise that you didn't get back to it. It still looks very good compared to most crops this year, you'd know it was sown after WB and not SB

What kind of seed rate would you use and is the seed expensive? What’s your usually input strategy tony? That’s a fantastic use of land between crops.
Seed: about 40 kg/ha. It’s about €600/t if I remember correctly. But lower seeding rate helps. Timing is critical so sow by 10-15 th September to get a good stand.
I spread compost but 30units P and 80 units is good. That really depends on your soil fertility. I’d argue more and let the maize take up the residual.
Spread 1 bag of urea mid January and one earlyto mid March.
I strip till it in with a Sumo DTS at about 40mm deep. The pic is what it looked like last jan. Similar this year

Attachments

• 642C07FB-01C5-4D7E-A162-85684A6A5B38.jpeg
    642C07FB-01C5-4D7E-A162-85684A6A5B38.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 57
  • A717B2D0-F61A-4120-992C-49995DFDD75B.png
    A717B2D0-F61A-4120-992C-49995DFDD75B.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
That crop will be grazed by replacement heifer yearlings from a neighbour's dairy herd.
I have a slightly later sown crop for my own bullocks, it is also growing very well.
Have another small plot that will be grazed by suckler weanlings and a big field of stubble turnips to be grazed by sheep.
Will you give any meal to stock on the rape?

Will you give any meal to stock on the rape?
Yes the few pets I have will be given meal, but they are just a hobby and I have been feeding them meals since they arrived. It makes no financial sense but keep them quiet and easy to handle on my own.
None of the other people's stock, weanlings or sheep will be fed any meal

Yes the few pets I have will be given meal, but they are just a hobby and I have been feeding them meals since they arrived. It makes no financial sense but keep them quiet and easy to handle on my own.
None of the other people's stock, weanlings or sheep will be fed any meal

You would be surprised how much financial sense it can make. Do you value your time with quiet cattle to handle, aids herding as well. Prevents and dip in performance at the shoulders of the year (especially from now on) and if it means they are gone out of the shed 2 weeks earlier then it has pretty much paid for itself.

That's the way I generally view it but you would be buying much better quality than me!

Your photos though prove that you want to be getting this in after WB as anything else is not ideal.

Something is nipping off the kale/rape, they are doing a good bit of damage, is it rabbits? I never seem to be able to get much value out of crops after Christmas.
IMG_20220124_142308.jpgIMG_20220124_142314.jpg

Back