Amount sown compared with last year

yes, it’s very frustrating here too. Some fields planted around here but I’ve nothing done.

the expected high pressure for this coming week has been an utter disappointment.

If the forecasts are as bad at predicting bad weather as they are at predicting good weather then there’s plenty of hope yet.....
In bad weather they all seem to be very accurate in their predictions for rain, It bloody always arrives usually early and lots of it. :boat:

Was around athy, stradbally direction yesterday and there was a lot of gear in fields. Lots of drills following ploughs
Finishing barley today bout 80% of what we wanted not going to do any oats just sow early spring oats instead hope to get some wheat in also but time will till overall happy enough it looked bleak for sowing 2 weeks ago

Started this am with wheat. No ploughing, just giving the top of the ground a scratch.
Conditions are borderline so upped seed rate to 140kg/ha of HSS that’s not treated or cleaned.
We’ll go round the clock while we can...
Varieties today are Cellule and Sophie.
Tomorrow it’s Cesario and Descartes.

Ground is wetter than we thought. Seed upped to 180-200kg/ha.
Every field has wet patches that are just too wet...I am tempted to go with the spinner and broadcast some wheat seed on the wet patches. Would it be a waste of time or would I just be feeding the crows?

Headlands are dire in patches also. Ground after forage maize isn’t as dry as after the sunflowers.

Another 6mm fell an hour ago so stopped up now. I’m wondering are we crazy not to sit and wait for a dry spell?

Ground has dried out nicely in last few days, am tempted to roll in the WB that was sown last week and be finished with tillage equipment until December.

What's the story with rolling, I assume you have to wait until it's up?

Before it emerges or germinates preferably, mine was sown last Thursday so I doubt it's moved a lot.
Before it germinates or after it emerges. The danger time is just after germination and before the root and shoot are well enough developed to withstand rolling.

Looking at those 2 grains in the middle time is of the essence. Doesn't want leaving till the end of the week.

None at all. Just need to be early enough.

Prob need to avoid frost ? Hard to get weather right.

Prob need to avoid frost ? Hard to get weather right.
Spring rolling used to be done to consolidate after frost heave from a hard winter but we don't often get those these days. Think it just needs timing before stem extension starts. I believe it also reduces main stem dominance and increases tillering to some extent.

Got the first couple of fields and some plots sown today.

Valerie winter barley going in.

ploughed yesterday and needed to be as dry as it is. This strong wind overnight is perfect for drying it out.

Have more Valerie to plant but those fields aren’t dry enough yet after that inch on Friday night.
Wheat to sow too after WOSR but that’s on very free draining ground so that’ll probably be next.

9AE541F5-623A-46F4-B3AF-88AB88E12CA0.jpeg F40910C1-684F-4035-831D-80F704D9EEE6.jpeg

Not anything like that dry here, seed bed was firm as it was ploughed 5 weeks before being sowed last Wednesday, no stones so I think I'll leave it unless it gets very dry after it comes up.

Had a look at it after work, much drier than I expected, shoots were about an inch long so I decided to leave it, headlands wouldn't have been great either.

Got the first couple of fields and some plots sown today.

Valerie winter barley going in.

ploughed yesterday and needed to be as dry as it is. This strong wind overnight is perfect for drying it out.

Have more Valerie to plant but those fields aren’t dry enough yet after that inch on Friday night.
Wheat to sow too after WOSR but that’s on very free draining ground so that’ll probably be next.

View attachment 71179 View attachment 71180

That looks good to me
Did you not use the press with the plough this year,
Is there a press on the front of the sowing tractor?

A lot of progress made locally the last few days, crews have been putting in serious hours. Conditions best described as marginal in places but I am surprised how well some places are ploughing up considering who poor the weather has been.
A few drills since Sunday I have managed to snap in action
DSC_0064.jpg DSC_0060.jpg DSC_9732.jpg DSC_9658.jpg DSC_9636.jpg DSC_9529.jpg DSC_9387.jpg

That looks good to me
Did you not use the press with the plough this year,
Is there a press on the front of the sowing tractor?

I’m a big fan of the press but soil is a bit damp for it. A press on damp soil is not a good job. I decided to leave the furrows more open to dry in the wind.
Yes, the planting tractor has a Heva press with paddles for pressing between the wheels.

Back