Angus x Fleckvieh

jcb411abuser

Have some AAxFlk calves out of heifers here, they aren't terrible by any means but buyers walk straight past them to the pure Fleckvieh, just a little disappointing.
The purpose of them is to give the heifers an easy first calving whilst we use a broader and more difficult calving Fleckvieh bull on cows, the idea is that broader bull should leave broader hopped cows that calf bigger calves easier, so we can use charolais on the surplus cows.
Any opinions on Angus, will they turn out better than expected?
Or is there any suggestion for a different breed to use instead that should give us that easy first calving but will leave a nice saleable calf.

Have some AAxFlk calves out of heifers here, they aren't terrible by any means but buyers walk straight past them to the pure Fleckvieh, just a little disappointing.
The purpose of them is to give the heifers an easy first calving whilst we use a broader and more difficult calving Fleckvieh bull on cows, the idea is that broader bull should leave broader hopped cows that calf bigger calves easier, so we can use charolais on the surplus cows.
Or is there any suggestion for a different breed to use instead that should give us that easy first calving but will leave a nice saleable calf.
You could try an Aubrac on them, the continental Angus:lol:
20200807_130633.jpg
Can't forget the gdpr!

Last edited:
Any pictures? We have a red Angus bull here breeding zll. Got him off John lanigan. Son of lanigan red canyon. He's a powerful bull with good feet and is very easy calved. Maybe red calves might sell better?

Any pictures? We have a red Angus bull here breeding zll. Got him off John lanigan. Son of lanigan red canyon. He's a powerful bull with good feet and is very easy calved. Maybe red calves might sell better?
Maybe, these are all repeat customers too which might have an effect. They may just know the pure Fleckvieh and are happy enough. Will get a picture later.

Funnily enough would like a colour to differentiate from the Fleckvieh iykwim

If you were over here I’d buy them in a crack,strangely we had trouble for a start with our Fleckvieh as nobody knew what they were at the time.

Personally I think they’ll be a cracking cross,only other breed to bull the heifers with would be Hereford,then they’d just look like a Fleckvieh.:smile:

If you were over here I’d buy them in a crack,strangely we had trouble for a start with our Fleckvieh as nobody knew what they were at the time.

Personally I think they’ll be a cracking cross,only other breed to bull the heifers with would be Hereford,then they’d just look like a Fleckvieh.:smile:
You would not want to mix them up. I'd have thought myself that they'd be a good cross. I guess the fact they are heifers calves and that Angus start off smaller anyway doesn't help them, but those are 2 integral parts of the reason they are there in the first place. Maybe we would have better luck in the mart in a few weeks with them. It's not that we are asking them to buy and they are refusing, it's just that they go for the Fleckvieh instead. We had several charolais out of cows and we could have sold them 3 or 4 times over. Thought the blacks would bring a little extra interest is all.

Maybe i was just unlucky with the flecvick bull i had and the calves of him
Bought a lovely 2yr old bull in laois in 2017 that was an import.great confirmation and very good milk production to him as i knew that as i was going to be laid up for the summer months that AI was going to be out.bull was just a 2yr but devoloped warts between the cloots .i never got to see his feet .vet had seen him twice and no good.the man i bought him of to be fair came back up to look at him and took him home .he had no joy either and bull was factoryed at a considerable loss given he was an import.was told some of the herefords have the same problem.
Had 5 calves of him.my ladies would be big holsteins but 4 outa the 5 was hardish calvings.unfortunately they werent anything special either more like coloured holsteins.
May try again at some stage.bull had cost me 4500.probaly i was just unlucky

Maybe i was just unlucky with the flecvick bull i had and the calves of him
Bought a lovely 2yr old bull in laois in 2017 that was an import.great confirmation and very good milk production to him as i knew that as i was going to be laid up for the summer months that AI was going to be out.bull was just a 2yr but devoloped warts between the cloots .i never got to see his feet .vet had seen him twice and no good.the man i bought him of to be fair came back up to look at him and took him home .he had no joy either and bull was factoryed at a considerable loss given he was an import.was told some of the herefords have the same problem.
Had 5 calves of him.my ladies would be big holsteins but 4 outa the 5 was hardish calvings.unfortunately they werent anything special either more like coloured holsteins.
May try again at some stage.bull had cost me 4500.probaly i was just unlucky
It takes a second cross to make any real dent in the Holstein conformation. Talking from experience, we used rotbunt on the Holstein for a few years then Fleckvieh since, first full crop of heifers calving now that really are shaped like a Fleckvieh, 10 YEARS LATER!

Have most of the cows AAA scored so i suppose if ai with flech ya would be using on aaa. After all they are the 2nd main breed of dairy cattle in the world i think.

Back