Any tip to pull chain an extra bit

f140

After putting on a new 60h chain. I am short about 5 or 6mm to get the joiner link in. Tried putting in a half link but then that makes it very loose again. There is a strainer but it doesn't move very much. As it even if strained to the last the chain will still be loose with the half link.

Anyone any tips to get that 5 or 6mm I need out of it?

After putting on a new 60h chain. I am short about 5 or 6mm to get the joiner link in. Tried putting in a half link but then that makes it very loose again. There is a strainer but it doesn't move very much. As it even if strained to the last the chain will still be loose with the half link.

You may go with the half link for now by the sound of it, after a bit of work you might find it has stretched enough to join it without the half link, too tight is hard on bearings and sprockets, even in work it will only be tight on the pull side.

Maybe free up the tensioner so it has full travel, must be room to fit a half link somwhere in its travel.

What kind of chain or machine then be easier to answer

Had no choice in the end, had to use the half link even though I was so close just couldn't get it to join.

Had no choice in the end, had to use the half link even though I was so close just couldn't get it to join.
Oil the chain well and check it again after 8 or 10 hours running, you might be able to join it then without the half link, it's surprising how much a new chain "gives" after running a little while.

Back