Any wet spots in this field?

To be fair if your a one man band then getting stuck turns into a serious ordeal.
There's a lot of poor ground here in pockets and some lads just don't want to believe that it's actually that wet.
I would often say to farmers jesus not a hope will we travel there.
"ah sure chance it and see"
Just the other day I was ploughing a raw bog, tractor was moving along nicely and just sat down.
Didn't even attempt to get out of it and one simple pull got me out.
I remember a few years back I got stuck in a really really wet place back wheels just went down.
I had to get two tractors to pull me out.
Met a lad a few days later jesus I saw you stuck in such a place did the farmer say anything.
I said no he didn't why would he?
Oh well if that was my land I'd go off the head he said.
Well I said I'm telling him with a good while that there should be a few drains put in there so there's not really a lot I can do about it bar come back in the summer and power harrow it.
I was left fairly confused by what this lad said.
If someone is farming land all there life and tells you go down into the bottom corner and you get stuck then I can't see how it's the man on the tractors fault.
If he's sitting up with you then fair enough you can say that corner doesn't look great we won't go down in there.
But if there not around there probably thinking sure that place is plenty dry enough.
I got stuck one time and got a puncture at the same time, that was an experience.
It's just a completely different point of view for a farmer and for a contractor. If you sink in a farmer's place it's a novelty for them, they might have a contractor in 3 or 4 times a year. The contractor is on 5 or 6 different farms the one day. If I think a spot is dodgy I won't go into it, "chance it" is a load of shite, if you sink and lose half a day trying to get out there's only one person going to be getting phone calls asking why you weren't in the next place when you said you'd be. I lost a day with a breakdown last Tuesday and I only caught up to the work again today. If it's your own land then by all means belt away, put up the pictures, write a short story about it, maybe put it to music and make a concept album. I'd love to hear it. While I'm sitting in the tractor. Working away. Not stuck.

Getting stuck with a tractor, while annoying, isn't usually hard to get out of,if you have manners a moderate tractor should be able to pull you out.worst offender I had was a trailed disc harrow which as often used reclaiming poor ground.
The wheels weren't wide enough to carry it in bad ground.funny enough it was easier get stuck pulling it with a modern tractor as you wouldn't hear the engine note changing, she'd be spinning before you would know it and then it was too late.
The 3650,you would hear the pull coming on and lift her a bit and sail through usually.
For ploughing, the best tractor I had was a same silver 130,it had wheelslip control which was adjustable so in dodgy ground set it sensitive and it would lift the plough entirely out of the ground before the driver would cop she was starting to spin.
While inconvenient, tractors are usually easy enough got out.
My 13t track machine was sunk twice by drivers,now that's something to cause a big hole in the work schedule

It's just a completely different point of view for a farmer and for a contractor. If you sink in a farmer's place it's a novelty for them, they might have a contractor in 3 or 4 times a year. The contractor is on 5 or 6 different farms the one day. If I think a spot is dodgy I won't go into it, "chance it" is a load of shite, if you sink and lose half a day trying to get out there's only one person going to be getting phone calls asking why you weren't in the next place when you said you'd be. I lost a day with a breakdown last Tuesday and I only caught up to the work again today. If it's your own land then by all means belt away, put up the pictures, write a short story about it, maybe put it to music and make a concept album. I'd love to hear it. While I'm sitting in the tractor. Working away. Not stuck.
I know it's a pain in the hole but it happens.
A number of years ago I was after a long long week of silage it was a Saturday evening and I was on the last job at about 2 o clock and the sky was closing in.
I was in the last field that I knew was very wet.
Finished up the field and was stopped talking to the farmer.
I was absolutely bolloxed at this stage and I had intended in going home and just going to sleep.
There was a little corner that I knew was dodgy so I left it.the farmer had it rowed in himself.
He said will you chance the bit below.
And I said I won't I'll get stuck and we will be here all night.
Ah you won't get stuck I rowed it in.
I said fuckit for the sake of a bale worth now ill leave it.
It went back and forth and he was getting a bit annoyed that I wouldn't go down and pick it up.
So down I went got buried.
Had to call lads who had went home on to come over with tractors to pull me out.
Imo the farmer was wrong.
If I didn't go down there then I'd be in the wrong.
Lads can be stubborn enough at times and don't really understand that the machine you have is way heavier than the one they might have.
We have never went into that corner since but I'd be confident enough id have got the gate from that job if the farmer didn't actually witness the tractor bogging.

I know it's a pain in the hole but it happens.
A number of years ago I was after a long long week of silage it was a Saturday evening and I was on the last job at about 2 o clock and the sky was closing in.
I was in the last field that I knew was very wet.
Finished up the field and was stopped talking to the farmer.
I was absolutely bolloxed at this stage and I had intended in going home and just going to sleep.
There was a little corner that I knew was dodgy so I left it.the farmer had it rowed in himself.
He said will you chance the bit below.
And I said I won't I'll get stuck and we will be here all night.
Ah you won't get stuck I rowed it in.
I said fuckit for the sake of a bale worth now ill leave it.
It went back and forth and he was getting a bit annoyed that I wouldn't go down and pick it up.
So down I went got buried.
Had to call lads who had went home on to come over with tractors to pull me out.
Imo the farmer was wrong.
If I didn't go down there then I'd be in the wrong.
Lads can be stubborn enough at times and don't really understand that the machine you have is way heavier than the one they might have.
We have never went into that corner since but I'd be confident enough id have got the gate from that job if the farmer didn't actually witness the tractor bogging.
Are lads like that much loss really?

I haven't been stuck in a good few years unless stuck for a few quid, last time I got bogged was with the SPFH where the farmer mowed himself, cut out this end of a rented field, he had the first run on it and the tractor and rake would be light enough and didnt leave a mark but 16 ton of SP just sat down, if it had been out the field a bit I might have got myself out but up beside the hedge on a bit of side slope it wasn't going anywhere only worse without a pull.

I
I wouldn't say that. He always pays me whenever I make up the bill and there's never a question.
The evening that happened he was apologetic.
Like I said he mowed it and rowed it in he just couldn't see why my tractor wouldn't be able to travel there.
Everyone thinks different.

Well said, contractor I get here seems to think itā€™s a challenge when I tell him not to go into such a spot. Last year I told him where to slurry he didnā€™t listen went to a field I told him was to wet left 2 dirty track down the field until he got out the bottom gate and had the nerve to tell me he thought that particular field was dry. Another time he was mowing I told him to stay out of the bottom corner of another field went up an hour later to see how he was getting on low and behold it was the first place he went 2 big dirty tracks. Iā€™m not good in machinery on wet ground but I know my ground and every wet spot there is.

@Peter ,agree with you there 100%, but unfortunately alot of lads couldn't give a damn.start in the damper spots with a lighter load and finish on the drier ground.youd see lads filling and they wouldn't move out a bit to the left and let the harvestor blow out abit further,often seen lads wouldnt keep to a fresh track and drive on a previous pass,only a matter of keeping the width of 2 tyres widths out..and as for packing loads when the farmer could put on a tractor and trailer to reduce damage.
dribble bar/ shoe on the pipes wont take off round here for the simply reason that you either drive through or leave a tender spot ,where as with the splash plate you can cover the area lightly without travelling it.
it's 36/ 37 yrs ago since I seen teagascs Dermot Forestall doing low ground pressure trials and research on a research farm next to us,.with a conny driver alot can be done with less damage

Would be stuck once in every 5 years I'd say, very rarely on our own ground, plenty of young lads would love to get stuck & even try, the deeper the better, makes for better bragging, snapchat & the like, then the farmer has to try & fix it & bounce about over it for years.

Worst one I had was on a couple of acres of bad land with no bottom beside the motorway, when they built it they put the drainage in too high I'm told, it's fit for barley if your careful. I was baling grass with the fusion on it about a dozen years back, was passing through the worst bit & had to stop for a bale, otherwise I think I'd of been grand, started to spin so stopped & rang the farmer who was in the next field, he went & got the big tractor, had to hook the 1 pass off it, was 10~15 minutes before he was back & in that time I was sitting on the belly.

He tried & failed to even move me, then went for the lad that kept a 13 ton digger in the yard, he couldn't move me either tracks just bulldozed soil towards me, farmer was nearly in tears by now on my behalf, I wasn't worried as the soil was soft so doing no damage.

So I got digger to the back of the tractor & pulled the pin with the chain, then took tractor out & went back for the baler, pulled the wrapping ring off but got it put on again with the chain, spent 10 min pulling soil out of the pickup & good to go again.

dribble bar/ shoe on the pipes wont take off round here for the simply reason that you either drive through or leave a tender spot ,where as with the splash plate you can cover the area lightly without travelling it.
Run that by me again, why can't you cover wet bits without driving on them with a dribble bar or shoe?

Run that by me again, why can't you cover wet bits without driving on them with a dribble bar or shoe?
slash plate blow across it from both sides and get the most of the area covered.either that and drive through it marking it or find a " resting place ".most of the dribble bars round here are smaller models.
there is ten or eleven dribble bars with in roughly 8 to 9 mile or us and none are overly fond of the on the pipes.extra weight and don't cover the distance

Was with the brother in law at forestry for a few days last year. Half a million euro machines been pulled out with diggers. His own 14 ton digger disappeared into a hole in the wind up. Only top of the cab visible. Done it up himself but was never the same. Utter hardship.

slash plate blow across it from both sides and get the most of the area covered.either that and drive through it marking it or find a " resting place ".most of the dribble bars round here are smaller models.
there is ten or eleven dribble bars with in roughly 8 to 9 mile or us and none are overly fond of the on the pipes.extra weight and don't cover the distance
Exactly the same can be done with a dribble bar though. Just need to use the right one

Whenever I am driving on someone elses land I always try and treat it with respect like not turning short on headlands and trying to drive on tramlines and keeping off the straw when drawing in grain.
Both of them offences carry severe punishments around here, especially the first one, we were at silage 2 years ago and it was the first time in a long time the contracting crowd that were got in had lifted it before, we got them started and myself and the boss man went up for tea, well if he didn't get sight from the kitchen table of yourman on the harvester turning short on the headlands, well no sooner had I put the pot on the table and he barged out by me and the other lads coming in for tea and out to the harvester like a thundering hen.

I wouldn't be an expert in sign language but I deffenitely had a fair idea of what he was saying with all the hand waving that was going on, going around waving out the harvesters turning circle. In fairness to yourman driving the harvester he was only covering for its usual driver but by god I bet he never turned tight on a headland after that.

Another time he hit a bicycle with the mower and when he told the farmer , the farmer asked if there was anyone on it.
I know of a man that was mowing up in the phoenix park many years ago with what would have been one of few front and rear mounted mowers on an MB trac. Now hitting dear was meant to be common enough but on this particular night he was going along until he copped something moving around 20ft on front of him, he slowed down and crawled a few feet forwards and to his astonishment what looked to be a backpacker or homeless man leaped up and darted across the park, you would have some explaining to do if you hit that

Getting stuck with a tractor, while annoying, isn't usually hard to get out of,if you have manners a moderate tractor should be able to pull you out.worst offender I had was a trailed disc harrow which as often used reclaiming poor ground.
The wheels weren't wide enough to carry it in bad ground.funny enough it was easier get stuck pulling it with a modern tractor as you wouldn't hear the engine note changing, she'd be spinning before you would know it and then it was too late.
The 3650,you would hear the pull coming on and lift her a bit and sail through usually.
For ploughing, the best tractor I had was a same silver 130,it had wheelslip control which was adjustable so in dodgy ground set it sensitive and it would lift the plough entirely out of the ground before the driver would cop she was starting to spin.
While inconvenient, tractors are usually easy enough got out.
My 13t track machine was sunk twice by drivers,now that's something to cause a big hole in the work schedule
Certainly isn't, I remember when we're drawing spuds last year there was a big argument between the students on who got what, I didn't care what I got put on and when everyone got whatever they wanted we belted on, I got the titan, we went on down to the field anyway and it didn't take long for the student in the 6150 to get stuck, went straight into the headland and smack bang into a wethole, would he wait for someone to pull him out, no, just bogged the tractor more, I got in behind him and another tractor on front an we push/pulled him out.

The Same had a serious grip, I must have spent all day giving the 6480 that was in on loan nudges out of wet spots, you'd just see it slow down and next thing she'd stop, a little pump of the grille guard on the back of the trailer and he was motoring again, in fairness most of the tractors tyres were fairly lacking to say the least. The 75 got nicely bogged too as a result of the axles being too close to the body on the broughans and jamming the wheels up with muckšŸ˜20191028_111715.jpg

Only yoke I hate to see sunk is the combine. You could do a lot of damage pulling one out. Has only happened a few times thankfully.
It happened here last year right beside the workshop here and what's worse again is when they went to bale it yourman in the 939 and the big baler went straight in where the combine went down and bogged the 2 very nicely, had to get the digger and 8400 to pull it outā˜¹

Certainly isn't, I remember when we're drawing spuds last year there was a big argument between the students on who got what, I didn't care what I got put on and when everyone got whatever they wanted we belted on, I got the titan, we went on down to the field anyway and it didn't take long for the student in the 6150 to get stuck, went straight into the headland and smack bang into a wethole, would he wait for someone to pull him out, no, just bogged the tractor more, I got in behind him and another tractor on front an we push/pulled him out.

The Same had a serious grip, I must have spent all day giving the 6480 that was in on loan nudges out of wet spots, you'd just see it slow down and next thing she'd stop, a little pump of the grille guard on the back of the trailer and he was motoring again, in fairness most of the tractors tyres were fairly lacking to say the least. The 75 got nicely bogged too as a result of the axles being too close to the body on the broughans and jamming the wheels up with muckšŸ˜View attachment 105783

There is a reminder never rent land out for spuds....

There is a reminder never rent land out for spuds....
certainly not, there was spuds in a field 4 years in a row behind my grandmother's house and after 3 years the whole back garden began flooding so don't ask me what the soil structure of the field was like after, its in grass now and the flooding is gradually going away.

Back