Anyone been to Fraser Island?

Applesquasher

I can get to Hervey Bay OK but want to go to Eli Creek on Fraser Island.
What is the best way to get there?
I want to spend a little time there and preferably not as part of a group of 40 odd. (will be having a word with someone who isn't with us any more)

Anybody done it?

I want to spend a little time there and preferably not as part of a group of 40 odd. (will be having a word with someone who isn't with us any more)

Anybody done it?

Hired a land cruiser with about six people and camped. Was great.

Anybody done it?

You want to be at Rainbow Beach(90kms south of Hervey) then head up to Inskip and catch the ferry which is a short distance from Fraser Island.
I take it you have a 4x4, otherwise you're fooked.

At home in UK :D
Not going until end of April, just trying to figure out how to get there and how much it is going to cost.

At home in UK :D
Not going until end of April, just trying to figure out how to get there and how much it is going to cost.
Laugh out loud you tw@t! :laugh: I thought you were there now.

Drove from Sydney up to Cannes a few years ago. Loved it.

Still prefer the west of Aus though.

The drive from Darwin down to Perth was just fecking awesome.:thumbup1:

Sorry mate, didn't mean to make you think I was there now. :laugh:

Me and the missus are flying to Brisbane, campervan to Cairns, plane to Sydney and then home.
Only going to Sydney so she can say she has been, only going there for a couple of days. I went last year with my son (Fred) and wasn't all that struck on Sydney. Nice to say you've been but wouldn't rush to go back.
Did the Great Ocean road last year in a camper with Fred. Melbourne to Portland and back.
Was there just before Christmas (Queensland) to call and see Fred. He's working on a farm over there about 6 hours drive West from Mackay. Had a whale of an adventure shooting, fishing, working on the farm etc.

My missus' brother was killed in a RTA a few years back. They always said they would take his ashes to Australia some day. Well this is it, he is coming with us. That bit isn't going to be much fun, but it is time. That's why we need to get to Eli Creek, some sort of pilgrimage if you like.
Knowing my missus we will be arrested at every airport security gate for carrying drugs (ashes), they will be spilt on the way and all luggage will be covered in "talcum powder". Wouldn't be surprised if they fell out of the overhead locker on the plane and everyone got a dose. No doubt the whole episode will end with her being severely sunburnt and prosecuted for contaminating the Great Barrier Reef with toxic waste (ashes)

It is just so much simpler, easy and peaceful when I travel with Fred. :001_rolleyes:

Why did i spell Cairns as the Aussies pronounce it?..Very odd indeed.
I've been to Aus nine times in the last fifteen years and each time i have enjoyed it more than the previous.
It's one of those countries that just gets under your skin imo. If i were a younger man i'd be out there now trying to make a living.
Good luck with your Bro in law, i couldn't think of a better place for his remains to be scattered.

I did think Driving from Australia to France was pretty hardcore. :001_cool:

I have to admit I am pretty jealous of Fred and what he's doing. Currently working for a hay making contractor as a mower man. Having an adventure of a lifetime and getting paid for it.
He has managed to walk from one job straight into another as he fancies. He is trying to get sponsorship now where he is.
He did think about coming home, much as I would like him back I talked him out of it.

Anybody done it?

Hired a land cruiser with about six people and camped. Was great.

I haven't been yet, but plan to do it before I head home in April. I think the general trend is to hire a landcruiser or something similar and camp out in tents at night.

I'm looking foward to it to be honest!

Would cost twice as much as what I am paying. It would still work out cheaper to hire an additional 4wd just to go to Fraser island.
Nice thought though.
Can't see us going anywhere that needs one of them except Fraser. Your not supposed to go off tarmac with the camper we have hired but last time we ended up on a non tarmac road. What are you supposed to do? (we carried on :D)

Wouldn't be surprised if I ended up over there again, maybe later this year may have to wait for next. By that time if Fred is still there he will prolly have his own ute, he may even have one by time we get there this year.
Can't say I felt restricted by not having one last year. Wasn't like we wanted to go bush or anything. When I went over in December Fred's car was a Toyota Corolla, nearest tarmac to his was 40 miles away. We managed :laugh:

TirEoghain110-90 you'll have a good time mate. Won't cost a fortune if there's a good few of you.

Went to Frazer island when I was there 2 years ago, did the same way as wufler, from rainbow beach etc. trouble was me and my mate went on one of those trips where you get crammed into a land cruiser and its away you go, would have been better hiring our own 4x4, as we had to stick to a route, and if you end up with some idiots, then your stuck there!

and worth going to one of the inland fresh water pools, if just for the bikini clad buties!

and I agree with you on the Sydney bit, nice to say you've been, but its a city like any other, too many people, not enough fields and farming!

Back