Arable silage

Peter

Right im thinking of sowing 8 acres of arable silage this spring,ive grown it the last few years,what way do Ye lads grow it?

I usually grow it in the ground tbh haha. I don't know anything about it fp, often thought that growing a crop for cereal and keeping the grain makes more sense then ensiling it.

I reseeded land in 2011,

We sprayed it off then disced it, I spread the arable seed (peas and barley) with the fertilizer spreader and the contractor was following with the one pass sowing the grass seed,

It made good silage, it would of been better only we got caught with the Fooking weather.

I usually grow it in the ground tbh haha. I don't know anything about it fp, often thought that growing a crop for cereal and keeping the grain makes more sense then ensiling it.

This wouldnt be corn ground and wouldnt it be cheaper to grow than a crop of spring barley and have less work with it and have a crop of grass after ?:undecided:

Ya you will have grass after the peas and barley too, or a lot of lads just use barley and grass,

The problem with the peas is you can't spray the dirt or you will kill the peas,

Great way to bulk up your first cut of silage and helps to get a bit extra after the cost of resseding,

Ya you will have grass after the peas and barley too, or a lot of lads just use barley and grass,

The problem with the peas is you can't spray the dirt or you will kill the peas,

Great way to bulk up your first cut of silage and helps to get a bit extra after the cost of resseding,

I use a barley.oats and peas mix never had a problém spraying it for dirt,doesnt yield that well i thought only got 5 trailer loads of 4 acres last year

I use a barley.oats and peas mix never had a problém spraying it for dirt,doesnt yield that well i thought only got 5 trailer loads of 4 acres last year

I tried some last year, oats only and baled it, cows were mad for it but there was a lot of waste in the bales whatever the reason was

I tried some last year, oats only and baled it, cows were mad for it but there was a lot of waste in the bales whatever the reason was

Oats will pierce the wrap. Anything with grain is high risk in a bale. Put it through a harvester with a corn cracker and in a pit.

It costs that much to grow it its kind of madness not to crush the grain :undecided:

Did you leave it down for any length of time ?

Oats will pierce the wrap. Anything with grain is high risk in a bale. Put it through a harvester with a corn cracker and in a pit.

It costs that much to grow it its kind of madness not to crush the grain :undecided:

Not if you give it 6 layers and put a rubber mat on the back of the fusion where the bale lands on the ground

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

Not if you give it 6 layers and put a rubber mat on the back of the fusion where the bale lands on the ground

What about handling after the fusion not to mention rats :no:

I just put it in a pit when the grain was at the soft cheesy stage and put grass on top (ordinary harvester) there were no rats in it until I opened it but then they arrived, but you wouldn't miss the bit that they eat.

If baling it , you need to set plenty of rat poison . They will reef your bales otherwise. I sowed grass seed with a bit of barley scattered with the Vicon after sowing the grass seed. Plough, till and sow as normal. I found it coarse enough stuff, more suitable for dry cows. Reseeded 3 or 4 fields this way but its 12 or 13 years ago when you got area aid on the crop. MF 240s crop worked out very well compared to mine and he hadn't all the stones I had due to his not ploughing.

Id be burying mine in grass both top and bottom in the pit so no rats that i can see

I was drawing bales to a man today he showed me a bale that he had made a hole in stacking there was a small circle of it rotten he showed me a bale that a rat made a hole in and the whole bale was rotten I couldn't believe it

I can't remember how long it was down but I think it was cut in the morning and baled in the evening, would the cutting date make a big difference, you are recommended to cut it at 12 weeks but it was 13 weeks when it was cut. It wasn't rats that caused the problem, I would have noticed the holes
I had second cut silage stored beside it that was cut and baled on the same day and there was a lot of waste in that as well, the first cut stored beside that is ok but then I had second cut in a different field and there is very little waste in that. would it be possible that it was the fertilizer?

If baling it , you need to set plenty of rat poison . They will reef your bales otherwise. I sowed grass seed with a bit of barley scattered with the Vicon after sowing the grass seed. Plough, till and sow as normal. I found it coarse enough stuff, more suitable for dry cows. Reseeded 3 or 4 fields this way but its 12 or 13 years ago when you got area aid on the crop. MF 240s crop worked out very well compared to mine and he hadn't all the stones I had due to his not ploughing.

Jesus lad stones!!

We had enough of them after the digger work and the disc, if we ploughed it I'd say we'd be still down there!!:sweatdrop::sweatdrop:

I can't remember how long it was down but I think it was cut in the morning and baled in the evening, would the cutting date make a big difference, you are recommended to cut it at 12 weeks but it was 13 weeks when it was cut. It wasn't rats that caused the problem, I would have noticed the holes
I had second cut silage stored beside it that was cut and baled on the same day and there was a lot of waste in that as well, the first cut stored beside that is ok but then I had second cut in a different field and there is very little waste in that. would it be possible that it was the fertilizer?

You are suppose to bake it fairly quick after cutting it anyway I know that I'm not sure how long its suppose to be sown a man near here did it and it was fairly near ripe but if it goes hard he said it just runs threw the cow.
Would be worth getting them both tested to see

we done it this yr sowen mid april barley and grass, cut it at milky stage and put it in wit second cut.

Back