Ash dieback

I cut up many an elm tree and cut them into blocks rather than split them . You can cut them in any direction as there is virtually no grain and the chain will stay sharp and clean .

It’s a national scandal that ash dieback is in this country. Have hundreds of mature ash around the farm and they all have it. Where are the environmentalists around this issue!!
It's a fcuking disgrace that disease was ever allowed into the country. If our inept dept of gobshites put half the effort into actually policing imported diseases as they do on TB (heading for 80 years on that and no further along) and missing ear tags we'd still have Elm trees and Ash.
I'm old enough to remember the farm here covered in Elm trees. All of them dead. I've an Ash outside the front of the house that must be close to 10ft wide and is here longer then my family is that now is riddled with dieback. There's a row of small ones on a bounds ditch that are all dead and I see two or three of them have fallen.

Elm was wiped out in a very short time frame from what I can remember. I can remember one tree lasted for several years after all the rest had died but by the very early 90's it had succumbed to Dutch Elm disease. I'll always remember one little twig of a branch near the bottom of a fork in the tree with about a dozen leaves on it. That was the last Elm tree here. Ash is going the same way.

Elm was wiped out in a very short time frame from what I can remember. I can remember one tree lasted for several years after all the rest had died but by the very early 90's it had succumbed to Dutch Elm disease. I'll always remember one little twig of a branch near the bottom of a fork in the tree with about a dozen leaves on it. That was the last Elm tree here. Ash is going the same way.

We have a bit of land a mile away , which had quite a few Elm trees . I'd say that they mostly died in the late 80s , but definitely by the mid 90s were all dead .
A few suckers started growing possibly 10 yrs ago. They grew well for maybe 6 or 7 yrs , then leaves looked like they had blight , and then the bark lifted off and they died .

I'd love to know what the department could have done to stop ash dieback.

Importing saplings only gave it a very minor head start. It's an airborne fungus that had reached the south of England by air by the time we imported it.

Not importing it on saplings would maybe have gained us 10 years while it worked it's way across England and Wales

I ve seen signs by the roadside lately in Co. Limerick with " Ash Scandal" and similar on them , anyone know about it?

Importing saplings only gave it a very minor head start. It's an airborne fungus that had reached the south of England by air by the time we imported it.

Not importing it on saplings would maybe have gained us 10 years while it worked it's way across England and Wales
I doubt if it even would take 10 years, it's was only a young plantation that it was in first and it spread into the mature trees in the immediate vicinity were quickly and around the neighbouring townlands, but in saying that not every tree got infected .
I must tip in that lane some day to see was it ever replanted with spruce, it was a den of scrub the last time I passed in by it

EU rule dictated that we should have free movement of goods; this Free market opened up the unrestricted importation of Plants and Animals and their associated disease.
We are an island nation with limited, if any, exposure to many diseases of continental Europe before accession to the union.
This Free Market policy has made us vulnerable to many Diseases in the name of "Free Trade" with very little benefit to "Free trade" as economically, the Euro value of the trade advantage to our European cousins to be able to export live animals or plants to Ireland is negligible. whereas the downside of diseases, pests etc, is high.
It would also have been better (For Europe) from a "Food Security" and Environmental perspective if we had strict border controls; Ireland as an Island could act as a reservoir for food, etc, if there was a disease/ pest catastrophe in Europe.
In short, there was Siloed thinking on the issue, that is, thinking of the Free Market only as opposed to the greater good

EU rule dictated that we should have free movement of goods; this Free market opened up the unrestricted importation of Plants and Animals and their associated disease.
We are an island nation with limited, if any, exposure to many diseases of continental Europe before accession to the union.
This Free Market policy has made us vulnerable to many Diseases in the name of "Free Trade" with very little benefit to "Free trade" as economically, the Euro value of the trade advantage to our European cousins to be able to export live animals or plants to Ireland is negligible. whereas the downside of diseases, pests etc, is high.
It would also have been better (For Europe) from a "Food Security" and Environmental perspective if we had strict border controls; Ireland as an Island could act as a reservoir for food, etc, if there was a disease/ pest catastrophe in Europe.
In short, there was Siloed thinking on the issue, that is, thinking of the Free Market only as opposed to the greater good

The wind carried it to England.

It would have carried it here too in relatively short time

Pippa said something during the week about aid for farmers with roadside trees with dieback to help with the cost of removing them.
There is going to be a lot if it done in the next couple of years I'd say.
Tree surgeons will be licking their lips though most farmers on minor roads will probably do it themselves

I ve seen signs by the roadside lately in Co. Limerick with " Ash Scandal" and similar on them , anyone know about it?
Been passing them for a good while, first saw them in kilcornan, think they’re gone from there but seen a couple in Glin the last week or so, and passed one today on the road to mitchelstown

If the soil around the ash tree is compromised by any action that doesn't help the natural biome then it looks like the tree is more vulnerable to dieback. If it's helped and treated with biochar treated with microbes and nutrients then it looks like it's able to keep the dieback at bay. Basically the good guys and soakage of the char prevents the fungus (bad guys) or whatever it is from taking over the base of the tree.

woodtekbiochar.com/post/biochar-ash-dieback

It’s a crying shame to see what is happening to the Ash trees.

I’ve never heard it mentioned but I’d imagine that birds could easily transfer the disease from tree to tree.

Likewise, I was in a machinery yard a few years ago and they had a few used tree harvesters in the yard. They were imported second hand machines. They didn’t look overly clean and I thought to myself that they could be another way of transferring diseases.

Back