Ash dieback

I was up your neck of the woods last week and I noticed lines of trees at the side of the road and I would not like to be under them on a windy night.
It all started in imported trees in a new forestry just 2 mile the far side of town where it was 1st identified.
We reckoned that just like covid it was here awhile before it was noticed as we could see a big change in the ash trees prior to it.every native tree was cut initially right round the site and extended out to 2 mile radius.
If the god damn Japanese knotweed plant would die it would be some relief.authourities seem to have got it under some control but there was stretches of some of road just covered in it

Got this text a few days ago, it has already been inspected earlier in the year, a call to the forestry division 3 months ago said everything was in order just waiting for approval, the mind boggles...
Screenshot_2021-10-25-19-58-11-246_com.miui.gallery.jpg

About 10 to 15% of the ash trees are affected around here which isn’t too bad considering it’s been here for a few years now. Practicality all the trees affected so far are small and a bit stunted that are growing on wet ground. Ash would be by far the most common tree around here, would be an awe full shame to see them die.

About 10 to 15% of the ash trees are affected around here which isn’t too bad considering it’s been here for a few years now. Practicality all the trees affected so far are small and a bit stunted that are growing on wet ground. Ash would be by far the most common tree around here, would be an awe full shame to see them die.
This time last year I would have put a figure of 10 to 15 % affected but this week with the beginning of leaf falling paints a very sad picture. I think it would be impossible to find an ash tree on our land that isn't affected now and we have thousands of them. Its a total wipe out.

Unfortunately it's here as well. A few small ones down the end of the farm were dead or on the point of it so I got them pulled down and I burnt them. Whether it'll help stop the spread of the disease to my bigger trees I don't know but I had to do something. Sycamore and ash are all that's on this farm with ash representing close to half so it'll be bare enough if they all die.

Dieback has become widespread here now. This summer has been hard on ash trees on our land. Anything that wasn't already dead didn't leaf properly and now that the leaves are falling, instead of breaking off at the leaf stem, the wind is breaking of the ends of the tiny branches.

The next storm will be telling. I wonder when will the authorities wake up to it. Its going to happen - trees will topple over along roads and kill people.

They will just say it's the landowners responsibility to ensure there is no dangerous trees along the road etc etc

I know a few lads who have had letters from the councill instructing them to get some trees near roads down.

One friend was given quite a blunt letter saying he had a week to do it or else they'd do it and charge him!

He gave them an earfull for it.

Ash die back is a bit like potato blight; it is spread in the air by spores. So removing it and burning or burying it would only be a short term solution. We have about 15 acres of ash planted around 1997; and its well into it now. The trees look poor but most people even officals say they are fine. But they are not. Id say 80% is infected, with only a few showing the classical symptoms, ie diamonds etc on the bark. It can take a few years to take hold. The timber becomes brittle and will break if it hits anything. I was cutting a bit last week and a few trees I felled would break once they hit others or the ground. So the only market is the firewood market.

The dept knew of this for years and did nothing. I was buying semi mature Holm Oak for a client and there was only 11 left in the country due to the import ban. Globilisation has a lot to answer for.

Out for a walk yesterday , passing a bit of forestry sowed between 15 and 20 years , came across this . It had been lying across the track , and someone had sawed it in half to remove it . It wouldn't be 4 inches thick .
Is this Ash Dieback ?
20220203_130627.jpg
20220203_130612.jpg

Have a good few ash trees around the farm. Was gonna chop a few limbs for firewood. Hopefully I don’t but if I find any with dieback can I still use them as firewood??

Have a good few ash trees around the farm. Was gonna chop a few limbs for firewood. Hopefully I don’t but if I find any with dieback can I still use them as firewood??
Absolutely. Burning them is the only way to stop the spread. Waiting here with anticipation. Ash trees don't look as healthy as this time last year with lots of broken branches and fallen limbs. Last years budding was less than the year before. This year's could be much less

Pretty much all the ash around us seems to be dead now. Don't expect much budding this year. Hopefully I'm wrong.

What are the key actions that would resolve this for affected people?
It has been let go so far that it is a lost cause unless they give adequate financial compensation for losses incurred by affected people, the value of the ash is firewood at this stage yet it's still nearly impossible to get a felling licence.

It has been let go so far that it is a lost cause unless they give adequate financial compensation for losses incurred by affected people, the value of the ash is firewood at this stage yet it's still nearly impossible to get a felling licence.
It would deter a lot of people from planting forestry. Personally I like trees but the department have made a hames out of the forestry sector.

Pretty much all the ash around us seems to be dead now. Don't expect much budding this year. Hopefully I'm wrong.
I've a lot of very mature Ash on the farm here and I see most have the dieback. There's one in front of the house that must be every bit of 200 + years old and I'd reckon only half the usual amount of leaves are on it and lots of dead branches. Same story with the other trees down the farm.
Dutch elm disease should have been an eye opener to be vigilant to other imported diseases but alas the ones in charge are inept as usual.

I've a lot of very mature Ash on the farm here and I see most have the dieback. There's one in front of the house that must be every bit of 200 + years old and I'd reckon only half the usual amount of leaves are on it and lots of dead branches. Same story with the other trees down the farm.
Dutch elm disease should have been an eye opener to be vigilant to other imported diseases but alas the ones in charge are inept as usual.

I also have a large amount of Ash trees on the farm . I had 3 fall during last winter , from approximately 12 inches thick , which disappointed me , another probably 24 inches , and the big one was guts of 5 feet . All were rotten at the base , and for quite a bit up . The 2 smaller ones were on roadside hedges , and both fell into my own fields . Neither were a size that you'd be looking at , and thinking , Hmm , that tree would be better off gone. The big tree was like that , but was in the middle of the farm .
Here's 2 more smaller trees , taken today . There's an odd one worse than these , thankfully not many.
20220702_120908.jpg
20220702_120950.jpg

Back