Ash dieback

Not to step on anyone's toes or offend anyone, but there's a reason why it can't be logical. It's because all of the decisions or plans for planting land were not logical. A group in this county ran and still run a campaign of objecting to felling licences as well as afforestation licences - and for very good reason. It goes back to what I said above - afforestation for the last 40 years has been about money. ie. Getting as much land as possible planted and drawing down the grants.

No consideration was given to the impact of the trees on the environment or neighboring property owners. We saw numerous mud slides in this county caused by afforestation which destroyed neighboring farms, caused pollution, fish kills and changed the landscape forever. Something had to be done. It's a pity that they had to hold up ordinary people who did everything right, but the forestry service adopted an all or nothing attitude.

For the last 40 years, no consideration was given as to how forests would be thinned or harvested once at the stage for it. Narrow roads, shared laneways, no lorry turning areas, no stacking areas. Why shouldn't local people object to the granting of forestry permission or felling licences. Felling licences were granted locally for the last 20 years and forest owners and transport companies were not held liable for the damage that they did to small local roads. There were serious faults with the forestry service from the start and there was a lot of land planted in this county that shouldn't have been allowed to be planted and a full compliment of non native trees were planted when they were doing very little for the environment only lining the pockets of investors that were buying land in order to increase their wealth.

It isn't as big an issue for every county, but the fault lies with the forestry service and their push to plant regardless of whether it was/is suitable or not.

They are still granting permission to plant cut away bog and blanket bog on mountains - so nothing has changed.
The bolded bit reminds me of about 10 acres a mile from here that is planted and I doubt the felling machine or forwarder will be able to get to it, it's going to be interesting.

Not to step on anyone's toes or offend anyone, but there's a reason why it can't be logical. It's because all of the decisions or plans for planting land were not logical. A group in this county ran and still run a campaign of objecting to felling licences as well as afforestation licences - and for very good reason. It goes back to what I said above - afforestation for the last 40 years has been about money. ie. Getting as much land as possible planted and drawing down the grants.

No consideration was given to the impact of the trees on the environment or neighboring property owners. We saw numerous mud slides in this county caused by afforestation which destroyed neighboring farms, caused pollution, fish kills and changed the landscape forever. Something had to be done. It's a pity that they had to hold up ordinary people who did everything right, but the forestry service adopted an all or nothing attitude.

For the last 40 years, no consideration was given as to how forests would be thinned or harvested once at the stage for it. Narrow roads, shared laneways, no lorry turning areas, no stacking areas. Why shouldn't local people object to the granting of forestry permission or felling licences. Felling licences were granted locally for the last 20 years and forest owners and transport companies were not held liable for the damage that they did to small local roads. There were serious faults with the forestry service from the start and there was a lot of land planted in this county that shouldn't have been allowed to be planted and a full compliment of non native trees were planted when they were doing very little for the environment only lining the pockets of investors that were buying land in order to increase their wealth.

It isn't as big an issue for every county, but the fault lies with the forestry service and their push to plant regardless of whether it was/is suitable or not.

They are still granting permission to plant cut away bog and blanket bog on mountains - so nothing has changed.
Very valid. Tbh I never really thought of that.

Months, years, what's the rush?
Are you serious, After getting kicked around since 2018 while watching any hurley butt value all but disappeared through 3 different schemes I applied under and didn't even get acknowledgment for the unappointed minister who failed to turn up to the conference earlier in the year sets up this with ex Irish water and EPA knobs.

Is this what happens when Ash gets dieback or is it usual enough colouration?
Ash Dieback.jpg

Back