Ash dieback

They should be cut down while the timber is still useful as firewood,once they rot much it's not worth cutting up
We have a lad coming in with a tree shear in early September. It's surprising at how fast they died. They were green last summer.

Last edited:
Jesus they're bad. Sadly I'm gearing up to cut a lot of them from the first of September but none as bad as pictured.

I've a few ill let stand another year because they're healthier and I love looking at Ash trees.

@diesel power importing saplings only brought it here a few years sooner, the rate it travelled from east to west across Europe it would have made its own way here 3 or 4 years after we had imported it anyway

Jesus they're bad. Sadly I'm gearing up to cut a lot of them from the first of September but none as bad as pictured.

I've a few ill let stand another year because they're healthier and I love looking at Ash trees.

@diesel power importing saplings only brought it here a few years sooner, the rate it travelled from east to west across Europe it would have made its own way here 3 or 4 years after we had imported it anyway
Was talking to a tree expert and he said it came from Eastern Europe and Russia and with the fall of communism and the accession to EU of the former soviet states it allowed it into Europe. He said no hardwood should ever be grown as a single species.
He was of the opinion that it could have been kept out but probably politically unacceptable.

@JohnBoy, how is it that they all haven't succumbed to the die back considering its here a good while now and we are only 2 mile from where it was first discovered.
alot of them dead or dying but still a good share of Ash still OK
I know it's a daft notion but could it be down to the previous health or immunity of a tree which got the disease or not

Was talking to a tree expert and he said it came from Eastern Europe and Russia and with the fall of communism and the accession to EU of the former soviet states it allowed it into Europe. He said no hardwood should ever be grown as a single species.
He was of the opinion that it could have been kept out but probably politically unacceptable.
Spores blowing on the wind know nothing of communism or the EU

@JohnBoy, how is it that they all haven't succumbed to the die back considering its here a good while now and we are only 2 mile from where it was first discovered.
alot of them dead or dying but still a good share of Ash still OK
I know it's a daft notion but could it be down to the previous health or immunity of a tree which got the disease or not

That I don't understand.

We had it on the farm in a forestry plot, probably one of the original imports. dept thought I was imagining it until I found it in a hedgerow tree putting up bat boxes for glas, so seven years ago now and that tree is on the list that'll probably be left until next year, but others that were much further from the plantation are getting the chop.

Here at some there's a lot of ash around our boundary and while a few are obviously dieing back the "healthy" ones are thinner/lighter than they should be.

All we can do is take them down before they take something else out on the way down

Spores blowing on the wind know nothing of communism or the EU
I have it in forestry, nothing in miles planted on the prevailing wind side, cant get a felling licence because of a total lack of joined up thinking in the dieback scheme, an exemption from planning needed which the council wont give because of a SAC (special area of conservation) despite having addressed these concerns in the felling licence application to forestry division with a environmental report and silt trap plans, replanting species et al at considerable expense.

I have it in forestry, nothing in miles planted on the prevailing wind side, cant get a felling licence because of a total lack of joined up thinking in the dieback scheme, an exemption from planning needed which the council wont give because of a SAC (special area of conservation) despite having addressed these concerns in the felling licence application to forestry division with a environmental report and silt trap plans, replanting species et al at considerable expense.
Lack of joined up thinking? From the Forest Service? Surely not!

Have had things come to a head with them this year over our former plot. Sick sh1t of them so I am.

I've noticed a lot of younger trees on the farm have gotten it, the old mature ash are fine, I read somewhere it's the younger trees are getting infected.

Have sawn up a few big trees that fell. They were never noticably infected. The went at the roots. When sawing I found the very centre to be black.
Could be the case here as well but the older ones are healthy out. Unless a storm knocks them I wouldn't touch them anyway. I had a beech tree on the farm my father told me it was at least 300 years old . Lighting bolt took a huge limb off it, the limb was like a tree, I'm hoping to burn it in a stove which I hope will save us money come the winter.

What are the symptoms of Dieback? This tree has branches with no leaves and some leaves seem to be dying.

Ash Tree.jpg

What are the symptoms of Dieback? This tree has branches with no leaves and some leaves seem to be dying.

View attachment 112063

Scenes like that are more and more common around here too. I was only just looking at trees in one of the lanes here today and noticed exactly the same as yourself. The place here will look very different with them gone.

Took me until now to get these trees down.

Interesting to see it inside the tree, you can see when the tree got it, the last few rings are so much narrower than the 10+ years before

PXL_20230212_124448082.jpg

Interesting the way the stain in the middle has spread in that pattern.

No idea why my text is bold all of a sudden

Anybody going to this next Saturday.. https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/woodland-owners-announce-ash-dieback-conference/ , in my case I've been trying to get felling licence for ash since 2018, several schemes announced and applied in every case and nothing but stalling, inspections and constant shifting of the goalposts, just when we thought it was sorted last December the whole thing is again up in the air because of the transition year of CAP, apparently the system is unable to accept the latest version of RUS ( Regeneration and underplanting scheme) until at the soonest next November, you couldn't make up such incompetence if you tried and into the bargain the big millions the Pippa one announced for new forestry plantings hasn't even go approval from the EU.

I might go, yes the forest service is a disgrace; probably the worst govt dept and that’s really saying something.

Some really nice people within in it; but as a regulatory body; it’s not fit for purpose.

Back