At the mart...

Yes, I am aware of that alright, I suppose they also would have cost me circa 20 euro per head between seller's commission and haulage. They were a lovely group and I would have liked to finish them but Brexit and Covid makes me more nervous than usual of beef prices. Having said all that, I hope the purchaser makes a good pound on them too and more luck to him if he does.
If he makes a few pound on them he will be back to you next year and hopefully willing to give you a few extra pound for the quality. The cost of doing business nowadays is crazy. everytime an animal passes trough a mart its taking €50 of the animals total output. assuming €15 for haulage both ways, €20 for fees and €15 for lack of thrive/sickness. Animals cant carry such costs when the average animal is killing circa €1,100

If he makes a few pound on them he will be back to you next year and hopefully willing to give you a few extra pound for the quality. The cost of doing business nowadays is crazy. everytime an animal passes trough a mart its taking €50 of the animals total output. assuming €15 for haulage both ways, €20 for fees and €15 for lack of thrive/sickness. Animals cant carry such costs when the average animal is killing circa €1,100

I was thinking about this . A man finishing his own suckler calves or sucks from dairy herd should have a slight advantage over lads buying. Theres only the one small margin in it and if you keep the animal the whole way you have a chance of getting it. Its not in it for two or three owners to make a margin and cover mart fees ect

I was thinking about this . A man finishing his own suckler calves or sucks from dairy herd should have a slight advantage over lads buying. Theres only the one small margin in it and if you keep the animal the whole way you have a chance of getting it. Its not in it for two or three owners to make a margin and cover mart fees ect
Agreed, but every farmers costs are different

I suggested that here a few weeks back and I felt that a few people were disgruntled with me for saying it. Wasn't trying to be offensive but instead was suggesting that because of the low factory prices, the margins weren't in it for to have more than one owner of an animal or 2 at the very most.

Last edited:
We have 1.5 year old bullocks to sell here would a lad want to be moving with them shortly with Brexit and all that ?..

We have 1.5 year old bullocks to sell here would a lad want to be moving with them shortly with Brexit and all that ?..
Yeah if they were mine Is be selling away, trade is very good at the minute if people get nervous about finishing cattle after Christmas it won't be long dropping 10-20 c/kg and the trade is very unlikely to rise from where it is.

The bullock trade has been crazy dear locally the last few weeks. I cannot understand the basis for it. If you have bullocks, move them sharpish would be my advice.

The bullock trade has been crazy dear locally the last few weeks. I cannot understand the basis for it. If you have bullocks, move them sharpish would be my advice.

€2.50/kg easy for any 450kg to 550kg with quality. Definitely 30c/kg ahead of where it was 6 months ago

€2.50/kg easy for any 450kg to 550kg with quality. Definitely 30c/kg ahead of where it was 6 months ago
I saw 500kg bullocks make over 2.60 per kg in ennis last Friday, now they were lovely bullocks but that was crazy to be honest. Winter finishing is a tough game at the best of times, but some people just don't help themselves either. Those bullocks will die in debt regardless of how well they do after unless someone knows something that I don't somewhere along the line.

What’s the Lamb job in Ireland doing?
Store market is absolutely crackers at the minute,near 9000 at Skipton today and they averaged over £70.

Thats a savage amount of sheep. Local mart is usually around 4000. Store lambs are a great trade at the moment. 35-40kg making €86-90 Haven't seen the factory lambs holding as well in a long time.

Where are stores easily making those prices?
From what i see €2.50/kg is only for the very best Charolais cattle.
€2.30kg or less is buying lots of U grade stores.

2.30 per kg will buy you top U grade store heifers at present, but it would not by you top U grade store bullocks from what I could see last week. And yes, I am talking about the best of charolais cattle, as that is what I was looking at in the main. There are plenty continentals trading at around the 2 euro per kg mark also, but they are not U grades!

They made it in Mohill last saturday - some of the top CH and LM bullocks made €2.60 and €2.70. 15 to 18 month CH or LM that was 500kg was making €1250 to €1350. Not a once off. Several loads went North.

I got 100 at 80 avg, they were 76 avg last year. I was expecting them to be dearer.
I usually pay around the £40 mark,sell late March,historically get £75-£105.
This spring was unreal,never fed a lamb anything only grass,sold a third of them at over £100.
I’n reality it’s not going to happen again so I’m struggling paying silly prices.

Back