At the mart...

If both farms are QA, if say 40 days on original farm would only need 30 on next farm to make the 70 days?

Not QA ourselves but thinking of getting in
Yes the animals is QA then, but the farmer selling the animal doesnt get the 20c. Has to be 70 or 60days on the final farm to collect 20c

Yes the animals is QA then, but the farmer selling the animal doesnt get the 20c. Has to be 70 or 60days on the final farm to collect 20c
I was thinking, if the buyer doesn't have to keep for the full 70 days to get QA, they might pay a bit more if say they only have to keep 30 days or less?

I was thinking, if the buyer doesn't have to keep for the full 70 days to get QA, they might pay a bit more if say they only have to keep 30 days or less?

Most factories demand the 70 days in *final herd to pay the 20c. I assume goalposts can be shifted, but when I was at the game it was rigid.

Remember one day killing the wrong pen of Angus heifers. Pen on the right were there 71 days, pen on the left 69 days. Killed the 69day ones by mistake. Cost me bones of a thousand quid.

Most factories demand the 70 days in *final herd to pay the 20c. I assume goalposts can be shifted, but when I was at the game it was rigid.

Remember one day killing the wrong pen of Angus heifers. Pen on the right were there 71 days, pen on the left 69 days. Killed the 69day ones by mistake. Cost me bones of a thousand quid.
Theres always a catch with them!

Feck, that wrong pen mistake would drive me cracked

first cattle sold for this year, wanted to give them another few weeks grass but i,m running out of grass fairly quickly so shifted 10
fr 486 kg 860
fr 408 kg 690
aa 375 kg 800
bb 455kg 1050
bb female 450 kg 950
I don't think another few weeks would have improved the price per kilo much. Good prices

At the moment I am in the process of selling cattle. They are bullocks and heifers chx suckers all around two years old. None of them would be quite fit to be killed yet. I have a man who buys for a feed lot interested in them. He is willing buy them and have them weighed here in my yard, I have a weigh bridge in the yard. My question is what weight would a 600Kg plus animal loose if it was taken and sold in a mart, the mart would be an hour away. I have been told by an experienced person that it be more than 20Kg. The mart commission and 20Kg would add up to a nice bit.

At the moment I am in the process of selling cattle. They are bullocks and heifers chx suckers all around two years old. None of them would be quite fit to be killed yet. I have a man who buys for a feed lot interested in them. He is willing buy them and have them weighed here in my yard, I have a weigh bridge in the yard. My question is what weight would a 600Kg plus animal loose if it was taken and sold in a mart, the mart would be an hour away. I have been told by an experienced person that it be more than 20Kg. The mart commission and 20Kg would add up to a nice bit.

My tuppence worth . Take them to the mart . Good stock of that weight are making mental money .
Had 6 similar type cattle to yours out last Friday , and a couple of middling dairy cross , but there no interest to you . It would have taken a couple of months to finish them .
2 nice red Lm , not 2 till june/July 565 kg €1300.
I super red lm 670 kg €1660 .
Big tall ch 710 kg €1590
Butty Ch , section birth 655 kg €1600
Bbx 610 kg €1380 .
I couldn't see your man giving that money in your yard .

My tuppence worth . Take them to the mart . Good stock of that weight are making mental money .
Had 6 similar type cattle to yours out last Friday , and a couple of middling dairy cross , but there no interest to you . It would have taken a couple of months to finish them .
2 nice red Lm , not 2 till june/July 565 kg €1300.
I super red lm 670 kg €1660 .
Big tall ch 710 kg €1590
Butty Ch , section birth 655 kg €1600
Bbx 610 kg €1380 .
I couldn't see your man giving that money in your yard .
Could be up to 30kgs lighter than weighing on site. Think I read of practice in America where they only pay for 95% of the weight from the original farm.

If your customer is sound, and price sounds right, I would say home, everyday

The weight loss during transport is one thing, but the length of time standing in pens before they are weighed is another.
I sold heifers in a big sale in February, all stock had to be penned before 9.30am (covid) Fell the wrong side of the draw, heifers weren't weighed/ sold till 6 o clock that evening.
I'd say once you move them at all ,they'd loose 20kg
20 kg x €2.2/kg + €20 commission .
You'd want to be getting 10cent/kilo + more to bring them to mart.

2 buckets of water is 20kg and that's nothing to 600kg beast.
If you are able to weigh them and agree a price you're happy with I'd be selling at home.
Everyone is different though.

Mart prices are mad at the minute. After selling yesterday I'd say that I'd need €3.25 to €3.30 flat rate in the yard to work out the same. Its an adrenaline rush watching the online sale. One minute they are going just OK and in the space of 10 seconds they jump by 150 euro - just goes to show how many are bidding.

Sure of your money too in the mart.

Weanling sales still going strong. Sold some CH bulls today and averaged just over €3/kg. Best was 380kg and made €1150. A few limousine in the mix and they averaged €2.70. Also had CH heifers (~340kg) make €2.98/kg on average and a bb heifer make €3.20.

Weanling sales still going strong. Sold some CH bulls today and averaged just over €3/kg. Best was 380kg and made €1150. A few limousine in the mix and they averaged €2.70. Also had CH heifers (~340kg) make €2.98/kg on average and a bb heifer make €3.20.
Great prices

We have sold a lot of cattle privately but weighed in marts.
On 550kg bulls,a 50min journey and short time waiting 12 to 15kgs loss.
Mart with long wait could be 25.
Have had 3hr journey overnight plus a wait around only lose 18kg
There are ways of reducing weight loss before leaving the farm.

We pulled the pin on buying store heifers a few weeks ago, more luck to whoever buys cattle at those prices, the sellers are doing very well.
There's probably €100 more per head on them this year compared to recent years. We found that there was a better thrive on cattle over winter than other years and that left cattle heavier for the sales - that would normally lead to a lower price per kg, but not this year. Its rare to be able to get a consistent close to €3 per kg on cattle over 350kg.

As everyone is saying, I don't know where lads see the return with beef prices the way that they currently are. I hope everyone gets a slice of the cake.

Will ye buy any other type of stock or will ye just sit it out for a while until ye see how things pan out?

No, we’ll buy less, we’ve a bit extra taken out for haylage, if stores are better value in a few months we’ll buy them, we can’t compete with the current buyers, who are not trying to make a living from farming, part time farming has been good for part time farmers and bad for full time farmers.

Last edited:
We pulled the pin on buying store heifers a few weeks ago, more luck to whoever buys cattle at those prices, the sellers are doing very well.
similar here, have bought very little since Christmas bar the odd day. I cant fathom the prices, but more power to the guys giving it. thankfully didnt winter finish any cattle this year either. I know a huge amount of farmers in the same boat. You would wonder were all the money is coming from:rolleyes:

similar here, have bought very little since Christmas bar the odd day. I cant fathom the prices, but more power to the guys giving it. thankfully didnt winter finish any cattle this year either. I know a huge amount of farmers in the same boat. You would wonder were all the money is coming from:rolleyes:
I think the system has changed a bit. I don't know if its a permanent change or a temporary change. A few years back we always sold most weanlings from mid april onwards - you'd get the retired lad that wanted a nice animal and cost didn't come into it. They'd be buying just to draw down their sfp. Those lads aren't around any more. They have either gone into forestry, leased, or they are buying bucket fed weanlings.

I think there's less cattle going through the marts - there's less suckler cows, more suckler farmers have cut their numbers and are holding cattle to the point where they are near finished and factories just hoover them up in the marts. I can see my icbf slaughter report and see store cattle 500 to 60kg that I sold that were killed within days of me selling them - it shows that when the pressure comes on, the factories will kill anything regardless of whether they are finished or not

Last edited:
Back