At the mart...

Might sound a funny question but is there any chance any of them are being bought for breeding? Without seeing pictures it's hard to tell, but that sounds very strong money from a beef perspective.

What per kg would she need to get in factory to make the same money

570kg to 670kg €2.57 average. Best was 670kg and made €1710 ( a 26 month old simmental heifer - I sold her comrades last September for €850 to €900.

What per kilo did you get last autumn? 2.40?

We must remember beef price has gone 40-50c since then.

It's an unusual feature of the trade at the moment that heavy animals are making the same price as lighter per kg.
There must be a perceived shortage of factory cattle for the next few months.
The people shipping to England reckon it will be happening all year but the price may change

A base price of €4.40 at least, assuming the buyer keeps the animals for 60days to get 20c QA.
I worked it out based on the 4.30 price that they quoted me on monday. 20c qa and 12c grade bonus to give 4.62/ kg.
670kg heifer will kill at roughly 350kg and be roughly 1610.

I had approximately 100 more per head than if I had brought her to the factory. Some of the heifers around 600kg left a little bit more than that extra compared to factory prices.

How many cattle are sold in the marts every week?
This time of year it's very small. There was less than 200 in the mart yesterday between cows, heifers and bullocks and a few stock/teaser bulls. Very few factory fit or near factory fit cattle there other than cull cows.

This time of year it's very small. There was less than 200 in the mart yesterday between cows, heifers and bullocks and a few stock/teaser bulls. Very few factory fit or near factory fit cattle there other than cull cows.

Plenty of big number sales still happening, seems to be allot of lighter cattle moving, but not at crazy prices like the forward cattle.

Someone was asking about ko% over the last few days, we are currently running between 50/51% for heifers of grass, half O and Rs

I weighed bullocks lately and was disappointed with the gain especially on 1.5 yo.
Older ones seem to have done better.
Group averages varied from .6to .88 kgs /day since january.no meal fed and out since the weather allowed

Plenty of big number sales still happening, seems to be allot of lighter cattle moving, but not at crazy prices like the forward cattle.

Someone was asking about ko% over the last few days, we are currently running between 50/51% for heifers of grass, half O and Rs

Still big sales around here but quality has nose dived.

What impact the ending of the first period for BEAM has remains to be seen.

I'm not convinced by the media spin that there are loads of farmers out there with fingers only too eager to get bidding.

I weighed bullocks lately and was disappointed with the gain especially on 1.5 yo.
Group averages varied from .6to .88 kgs /day since january.no meal fed and out since the weather allowed
Something not right with those weight gains, what sort of animals? Those are the best grazing months of the year.

Are they dairy bred cattle or continentals? Presume you have decent grass in front of them. In general I would have thought the weather has been kind on cattle but as you said, the scales says otherwise. Be interested to weigh them again in 6 weeks time and see what has changed by then.

Mostly r and u grade continental cattle.the few bucket reared ones are doing grand.
That is a figure since last weighed in January so only half the time at grass, presuming little or no gain in the shed the grazing time gain would be double the quoted one

Mostly r and u grade continental cattle.the few bucket reared ones are doing grand.
That is a figure since last weighed in January so only half the time at grass, presuming little or no gain in the shed the grazing time gain would be double the quoted one
I would expect such quality young cattle to be growing and putting on weight indoors if on just good silage alone.

If you have a spare hour, observe what they are up too, sounds like something is causing them issue

I have found that 14 to 16 month old cattle have done very well. They were late getting out of the shed compared to other years, but we had a good bank of grass built off and they appear to be improving every week. Grass is getting tighter with dry conditions, but they are still pushing on. I'm hoping to get rid of about 1/4 of my heavier stores in October (instead of selling the lighter heifers like I did last year), so I plan to start them on about 3kg of nuts per day from this week onwards.

We used to weigh all cattle we slaughtered. The brother who was in to maths had some very consistent interesting figures . This was before computers and was all done with calculator and pen .
Do you remember the kill out percentage?

Back