At the mart...

they might be the quitest of animals at home but if they get spooked they sometimes go biserk .I even saw a pedigree fr calved heifer lose it one day cleared a 5 foot barrier owner said she was as quiet as a mouse at home

Not sure how to put on the link to ticktock video here.if you seen the 2 heifers / cows youd have to seriously wonder
they might be the quitest of animals at home but if they get spooked they sometimes go biserk .I even saw a pedigree fr calved heifer lose it one day cleared a 5 foot barrier owner said she was as quiet as a mouse at home
Ah there's wild and wild in it though. Have seen cattle lose the head and climb walls or jump gates etc. And it could happen to anyone But there are others that attack people and from the minute the ramp drops are dangerous.

Youd have to question if the guards should be involved there. To knowingly endanger people bringing those animals to a public sale is criminal in my view. I've seen it before and owners laughing at the good of it at times

When marts are already under pressure, incidents such as this do no good to their insurance premium either.

Looks well, not too over done his head and ears don't have the "modern Suffolk" look to them.
Rams there today making 700+ and we’re coloured to the last but wouldn’t look the same in a years time as they were only soft bags shite they were for that money in my opinion.. think I got a nice bargain myself for what I paid if i do say so myself :lol:

How are weanlings selling around the country?continentals 300 to 400 kgs
Very steady in Mohill last night - good quality CH and LM 300 - 400 kg were fetching €3/kg on average. A lot of 300ks crossing €1000 and a steady €1150 for a good quality 400kg animal.

Was following store bullock trade yesterday. Lighter stores 350 - 450kg are holding their own. 450kg to 550kg were well down from the previous week. If the quality wasn't in a continental, they were down at an average of €2.10 to €2.15. Top 15% of CH and LM in this weight still sold at €2.50 average.

Very steady in Mohill last night - good quality CH and LM 300 - 400 kg were fetching €3/kg on average. A lot of 300ks crossing €1000 and a steady €1150 for a good quality 400kg animal.

Was following store bullock trade yesterday. Lighter stores 350 - 450kg are holding their own. 450kg to 550kg were well down from the previous week. If the quality wasn't in a continental, they were down at an average of €2.10 to €2.15. Top 15% of CH and LM in this weight still sold at €2.50 average.
Good have you back @muckymanor haven't seen any weanlings yet but would concur on store cattle. 2.10 to 2.20 seems to be covering a good % of average stock thst I've seen (only based off a couple of sales this week)

You are talking about the tops there @muckymanor from what I have seen the last few weeks in our area. Perhaps where lads are bringing out the best of them for their first draft. I would not think that many farmers have sold all their weanlings and averaged those prices bar a few maybe or those with smaller, more select herds of cows.

You are talking about the tops there @muckymanor from what I have seen the last few weeks in our area. Perhaps where lads are bringing out the best of them for their first draft. I would not think that many farmers have sold all their weanlings and averaged those prices bar a few maybe or those with smaller, more select herds of cows.
I did say good quality animals. It's quite difficult to encompass all of the animals in the mart in one price.
Top 25% is what I'd be quoting.
We're on the road back down the hill in this part of the country. Last night would have been the biggest sale. Most farmers would have moved their better animals in September at similar prices. Sales will only get smaller from here on. We do have the advantage of being close to the border so we get more Northern Buyers than other areas and much of the bidding last night appeared to be online.

My store quotes are from a West of Ireland mart that wouldn't have Northern buyers per say.

Good have you back @muckymanor haven't seen any weanlings yet but would concur on store cattle. 2.10 to 2.20 seems to be covering a good % of average stock thst I've seen (only based off a couple of sales this week)

It's hard to put averages on them because sales are bigger and there's more plainer types. Some of the marts closer to bigger dairy areas where a lot of the continental animals would be bucket fed really bring down the average prices that we see published in the media. At the end of the day, a good animal is still in demand and will fetch a good solid price.

3e a kg is big money for weanlings.
2.10 or 2.20 for a store would not leave much in between.im going to ballymahon today hopefully to observe

3e a kg is big money for weanlings.
2.10 or 2.20 for a store would not leave much in between.im going to ballymahon today hopefully to observe

Ah no, a 300kg 8 to 9 month €900 weanling bought today won't be plain. He will double his weight in 12 months on good ground and at 20 to 22 months, even on the worst of years gone by, he'd make a min of €2.30/kg. You'll buy plain ones at less than €3/kg that'll come into 2.10 as stores.

Last edited:
A bull weanling won't double his weight if castrated.200 KGS is a realistic gain from around now til next September.
Unless you are feeding a lot of meal for the first few months in which case that's a different problem to pay for.
I have bucket reared spring 2020 born bb and Herefords out performing suckler bred stock consistently this year.
The continentals were bought around 400kgs in early November 2020 and squeezed after turnout

A bull weanling won't double his weight if castrated.200 KGS is a realistic gain from around now til next September.
Unless you are feeding a lot of meal for the first few months in which case that's a different problem to pay for.
I have bucket reared spring 2020 born bb and Herefords out performing suckler bred stock consistently this year.
The continentals were bought around 400kgs in early November 2020 and squeezed after turnout
I dont quite follow, did you buy weanlings at 400kgs in November 2020 and castrate them in spring 2021?

Back