At the mart...

jay gatsby

There is quite a substantial market for commercial stock genetics in both Ireland and the UK. Id say that theres more commercial "show breeders" now than pedigree breeders. A doner cow can produce between 30 and 60 viable embryos in her lifetime so in the right hands, a heifer of this one's breeding could be quite valuable. She was well advertised before the sale and the buyer would have had her well checked out.
Thanks, I didn't realise that. Is there a lotnof emphasis on icbf figures then or do lads just follow back the bloodlines of both breeds

muckymanor

Thanks, I didn't realise that. Is there a lotnof emphasis on icbf figures then or do lads just follow back the bloodlines of both breeds
Its a mix and match really depending on the breed. Some of the more muscle types wouldn't have great maternal scores. But on the other side, they'd have high terminal scores.

The big sellers yesterday were the limousins. They were all high scoring for maternal.

Some lads wouldn't be big fans of the star system. Its more down to them not understanding it than there being a serious flaw with the system. I see that the proposed new bdgp scheme for the new cap will have more of a focus on terminal indexes with a view to finishing cattle at a younger age. I can only say that the old bdgp scheme was good to us. We didn't try to cut corners by bringing in dairy bred animals but rather tried to breed all round better animals from the cows that we had. It brought big changes to the type of cows we have but also brought very positive changes to the quality of the animals going out the gate.

Bot.exe

Its a mix and match really depending on the breed. Some of the more muscle types wouldn't have great maternal scores. But on the other side, they'd have high terminal scores.

The big sellers yesterday were the limousins. They were all high scoring for maternal.

Some lads wouldn't be big fans of the star system. Its more down to them not understanding it than there being a serious flaw with the system. I see that the proposed new bdgp scheme for the new cap will have more of a focus on terminal indexes with a view to finishing cattle at a younger age. I can only say that the old bdgp scheme was good to us. We didn't try to cut corners by bringing in dairy bred animals but rather tried to breed all round better animals from the cows that we had. It brought big changes to the type of cows we have but also brought very positive changes to the quality of the animals going out the gate.
There are many legacy issues with the star system, mostly around reliability and the lack of data on non Irish bulls. Not an issue for your average farmer but it's not a perfect system at all

nashmach

Heard a thing or 2 today about them auctions.wouldnt be just enamoured by the setup going by a sale that took place last spring....
Can't beat the proper sales ring , animal paid for before it leaves the mart and seller gets his money in a few days.

Most of those sales are organised by marts and follow the same process, they are all regulated by the PRSA anyway. Like it or not online auctions are here to stay.
The Angus bonus sure.

Won't be got on P grades or O-.