At the mart...

Numbers back, attendees back, prices ???

The weather of the last few days is having an impact.

I still do not know where the yearling cattle are, they are very scarce.

Numbers back, attendees back, prices ???

The weather of the last few days is having an impact.

I still do not know where the yearling cattle are, they are very scarce.
I think they're gone Nash. Marts were busy in November, December, January and February because prices were strong. Numbers today were about half of what they were this time last year. Attendees small in number but online really active. Sold store bullocks last Saturday in the same mart and a haulier that I know brought 4 of them to meath where he was met by a lad from louth who had bought them and a few more online.

Weather has been poor but lads are buying now because they don't know I cattle will be available when they want them for grass I weeks to come.

Some fat heifers and bullocks out today, would have said the yard seemed quiet when I was leaving shortly after 9 after washing out and the lad infront of me in the washout said the same.

€3-€3.37 was the run for both bullocks and heifers that we put through, but didn’t pay much attention to anything else

I think they're gone Nash. Marts were busy in November, December, January and February because prices were strong. Numbers today were about half of what they were this time last year. Attendees small in number but online really active. Sold store bullocks last Saturday in the same mart and a haulier that I know brought 4 of them to meath where he was met by a lad from louth who had bought them and a few more online.

Weather has been poor but lads are buying now because they don't know I cattle will be available when they want them for grass I weeks to come.

I don't think that is the case around here, we are talking about very different type of stock. Export market may have taken some but unless lads have changed system after last year then I think they are being held back: a bit like the fertiliser market,, how long for will be the next blindmans bluff.

It's been very noticeable the last few days the amount of bales that are shifting whereas the week before it was cattle trailers.

You would imagine if farmers had cattle to sell they would be inclined to move them with the strong prices .I know if you get bad weather prices for yierlings will only have one way to go .It seems there will shortage of fat cattle in april and may

We must cancel the order for sexed semen! It’ll be Torino and Lapon straws all the way on the dairy cows

Attachments

• 1215BDA7-2031-4889-A9FA-AD8B8D036341.jpeg
    1215BDA7-2031-4889-A9FA-AD8B8D036341.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 92
  • A0D38F03-B8F1-42FF-9152-8CC5777F9F71.jpeg
    A0D38F03-B8F1-42FF-9152-8CC5777F9F71.jpeg
    358.2 KB · Views: 93
That black animal sold very well unless he is wider in reality than the picture shows.
Would I be right in thinking 4-500 more than two years ago

That black animal sold very well unless he is wider in reality than the picture shows.
Would I be right in thinking 4-500 more than two years ago
Apologies for lack of clarity. Price and weight etc refers to the Charolais. That Angus was ours as well 400kg, 12 months €1070. That animal is up about €200 on two years ago. Tbf two years ago we sold a 565kg Charolais in June for €1400 so it’s a nice jump up alright

Marts bigger around here and prices tougher. More Buyers around the ring but very cautious bidding especially on dairy offspring. Some small coloured cattle still a very hot trade.

This week's sales
Yearling heifers
Hex 360 kgs.. 890e
Aax 335kgs.. 870e
21 born fr (slipped the embryo at some stage) 565kgs ...1500e

And for the white vermin lovers/haters
Cull ewes 81kgs..155e. 61kgs.. 101e
Ewe hgts 52kgs.. 155e.

finished beasts here are 495ppk for R4
he would need to have killed out 460 and no slaughterhouses like beasts over 430...

Are you sure they are talking about the same animal?

If so, he is 705kgs live and if he is a minter could kill 460kgs + @ £5 gets him out.

I wouldn't call him a store, but a beef bullock

@mixed fleet , good lot of stock going into the mart this evening, but when I was heading to the creche for the cutie ,about 400m our side of the mart , met 3 of the mart staff walking back towards the mart with there sticks ,looked as if there was an escapee ,no sign of anything on way back though.....seemed to be alot of stock going in compared to other nights I thought

@mixed fleet , good lot of stock going into the mart this evening, but when I was heading to the creche for the cutie ,about 400m our side of the mart , met 3 of the mart staff walking back towards the mart with there sticks ,looked as if there was an escapee ,no sign of anything on way back though.....seemed to be alot of stock going in compared to other nights I thought
It's getting lots of stock, not any bigger tonight, 80ish heifers, 40 bullocks, 20 sucklers, 60 cull cows, few bulls + sheep

Sold the last 9 on Saturday I suppose you could call them the bottom of the barrel. 280kg to 350kg. A few smaller heifers calves, an Angus, one off a heifer that was bulled by a neighbors weanling. Averaged 3.90/kg. I sincerely hope that buyers make money but it gives scope for an awful scalding too.

I was checking prices in sales catalogues last night for a number of marts that were on yesterday and while heavy cattle were low in numbers, the majority of suckler bred continental bullocks over 600kg made €3/kg. I have cattle that I was planning to have finished in the next 2 months, but if it's likely that we will see 40c to 50c off base price in that time then I may be better to sell off half of them in the next week or 2 and have a good amount of grass (hold off on the planned spreading of fertilizer or reduce the amount) and get away with feeding no or a lot less meal for the last few weeks.

Back