At the mart...

ā‚¬1,000 for a decent weanling? Iā€™m out. Youā€™d want to be guaranteed some money to finish that one.
They are freely making it lads. I wouldn't buy them, because I think they are overpriced, but there are obviously lads that will and are doing so. They must know something I don't know.

Always killed ours as young bulls but at current prices you would be mad. And sell the grain at a decent price too.

ā‚¬1,000 for a decent weanling? Iā€™m out. Youā€™d want to be guaranteed some money to finish that one.

I'm well out at that too, don't worry. The grassland here has very little road frontage so I don't have to worry on that score!

In saying that, reading reports, lighter stock are not up as much as near finished cattle at the moment.

sold eighteen weanlings last Thursday

got cheque today so only working out figures now

heifers averaged 2.38 per kg with average weight of 278 kg

bullocks 2.16 with average weight of 299 kg

they were all out of a Saler bull i kept for one season and extremely wild , bull himself was quiet but the Saler genes come through , got no creep at grass , just a kg of rolled barley for two months prior to sale

happy enough considering everything

they were all out of a Saler bull i kept for one season and extremely wild , bull himself was quiet but the Saler genes come through , got no creep at grass , just a kg of rolled barley for two months prior to sale

Very solid return. Your heifers came in at higher ā‚¬ figures. Were they breeding type animals? They weighed well compared to the bulls

Very solid return. Your heifers came in at higher ā‚¬ figures. Were they breeding type animals? They weighed well compared to the bulls

I suppose Saler X are more saleable as heifers as they are reasonably popular for breeding, the males can be long strings of misery, both were only average cattle in truth

I bought the bull they were out of in 2019 for 1210 and sold last July for 1720, just found a dairy farmer who needed a very easy calving bull in a hurry for cleaning up and he didn't quibble about price

Don't like Saler so that's me finished bar three weanling bullock's who wouldn't fit in trailer

Last edited:
I suppose Saler X are more saleable as heifers as they are reasonably popular for breeding, the males can be long strings of misery, both were only average cattle in truth

I bought the bull they were out of in 2019 for 1210 and sold last July for 1720, just found a dairy farmer who needed a very easy calving bull and he didn't quibble about price
That worked out well. The temperament would be a big worry with them though obviously.

How strictly are the regulations being enforced in marts. Are there places letting in a few lads or are they adhering to regs

How strictly are the regulations being enforced in marts. Are there places letting in a few lads or are they adhering to regs
No one let in around the ring in any of the marts around here. Sometimes a few up on the gantrys over the pens. People sitting in there own jeeps or cars outside.

Had one Saler here before and never ever again between wildness and hard to finish. Always had your eye on him.

Maybe they are worse when crossed.

i think they are just plain wild , knew a man ( sadly died in his fifties with cancer ) who had a superb herd ( imported from France and built it up ) , bred a bull that was in Dovea for a good few years , this man did everything right and yet his cows were still mad , if you pulled up at the gate and they saw your car , they would take off to the other end of the field in a shot

probably why they never took off properly , the cows can calve an elephant so they have their qualities but its outweighed by temperament

As mentioned above, Saler and Saler X bull / bullock weanlings are hard sold. You did well to get the 2.16 per kg for them. They can make big tall bullocks alright but they are very hard to put flesh on, and as noted, can be wild too. Out of interest, what did you replace the Saler bull with?

As mentioned above, Saler and Saler X bull / bullock weanlings are hard sold. You did well to get the 2.16 per kg for them. They can make big tall bullocks alright but they are very hard to put flesh on, and as noted, can be wild too. Out of interest, what did you replace the Saler bull with?

nothing , im getting out of sucklers , increasing sheep numbers and simply buying cattle ( wont need to buy until next autumn ), i didnt put the cows in calf last summer , they will be worth as much after a month at grass as a cow with calf at foot , that might sound strange but its the case as far as i can see , a cow more or less fit to kill is worth as much as with a calf a month old

ive twelve two year old heifers ( out of a limousin bull ) as well who i didnt put in calf last summer , they will be fit to kill in the autumn hopefully

i think they are just plain wild , knew a man ( sadly died in his fifties with cancer ) who had a superb herd ( imported from France and built it up ) , bred a bull that was in Dovea for a good few years , this man did everything right and yet his cows were still mad , if you pulled up at the gate and they saw your car , they would take off to the other end of the field in a shot

probably why they never took off properly , the cows can calve an elephant so they have their qualities but its outweighed by temperament
Would that man be from Bailebora we bought purebred charolais heifers, he was selling all the charolais cattle and showed us the French Salor bull he had going to ai station he had massive horns not something I'd like around. There is a man not far from us has about 50 cows and bull fantastic and quite cattle but don't like the idea of not dehorn them.

Would that man be from Bailebora we bought purebred charolais heifers, he was selling all the charolais cattle and showed us the French Salor bull he had going to ai station he had massive horns not something I'd like around. There is a man not far from us has about 50 cows and bull fantastic and quite cattle but don't like the idea of not dehorn them.

He didnt have Rio ( bulls name ) when i was there , unless he got him back from the AI station afterwards ?

Last edited:
Back