At the mart...

Sold the last of the spring 2019 heifers last Thursday, April 2019 born out of the late calvers, store heifers, might have been one of the pen that could be butchered as she was a low type, I had 2 dairy cross blues mixed in with them as well, averaged 510kg and 2.21 euro per kg. Was happy enough with that, but they were definitely back 30 to 40 quid a head I thought on the previous week's sale.

Mart prices for forward stock back a lot this week in the midwest anyways, I am presuming that a lot of that is purely down to the factories pulling the quotes. Calf prices not as high as the papers would have you believe either now that the supply of them has increased, the calves they are showing that are making big money are 6 weeks old in general. Your average dairy bred bull calf is no dearer than last year from what I see locally and talking to the dairy men, they aren't charging any more than usual to their usual customers at home either.

Big pull back this week by the few buyers. Is this a sign of what's going to happen when the competition is eliminated.

Mart prices for forward stock back a lot this week in the midwest anyways, I am presuming that a lot of that is purely down to the factories pulling the quotes.

Its what I said above a few weeks ago.

Allot of very hot stores in marts over the last week or so, I wouldnt like to be buying them online by weight, without seeing them

Mart prices for forward stock back a lot this week in the midwest anyways, I am presuming that a lot of that is purely down to the factories pulling the quotes. Calf prices not as high as the papers would have you believe either now that the supply of them has increased, the calves they are showing that are making big money are 6 weeks old in general. Your average dairy bred bull calf is no dearer than last year from what I see locally and talking to the dairy men, they aren't charging any more than usual to their usual customers at home either.

Surprise surprise so the papers are back to the usual tricks of talking up calf prices!!

Surprise surprise so the papers are back to the usual tricks of talking up calf prices!!
I'd say that the marts have more to do with it than papers. Marts only report the top priced animals. Only a few marts actually publish every animal price. Media takes the mart reports and twists them. Its the same reason why we see fat cattle going for more in the mart than in the factory. If you got to see the full sale sheet I suspect you would see that only a small % go above the factory price while a good % go below it in order to balance out the books.

I'd say that the marts have more to do with it than papers. Marts only report the top priced animals. Only a few marts actually publish every animal price. Media takes the mart reports and twists them. Its the same reason why we see fat cattle going for more in the mart than in the factory. If you got to see the full sale sheet I suspect you would see that only a small % go above the factory price while a good % go below it in order to balance out the books.

I thought calves were different though with the ICBF involved in but I could be wrong on that.

Big heifer sale in @muckymanor country yesterday (Mohill)
Around 600 head, 550 of which were sold in single lot's. Looked a solid trade overall. Most common entry was spring 19 born charlois around 500kg making €2.50/kg
I had 5 in it, 3 blacks, 1 wh, 1 shorthorn. Average 460kg € 2/kg
Had an eye on it for a good part of the day and was watching weanlings in dowra and ballinasloe too. A 24 month feeding heifer was a great trade. Anything out of spec or nearly out of spec was considerably cheaper. A lad up your way @mixed fleet got big money for a black breeding heifer. There were breeding heifers in dowra too that made wild money - I can't understand how lads can justify €3000 for an unknown heifer just by the look of her. And I wonder what % of these €3000+ heifers actually breed a calf that's worth more than a normal weanling?

We have a a dozen weanling heifers for mohill on wednesday morning so hoping the strong trade will continue.

Had an eye on it for a good part of the day and was watching weanlings in dowra and ballinasloe too. A 24 month feeding heifer was a great trade. Anything out of spec or nearly out of spec was considerably cheaper. A lad up your way @mixed fleet got big money for a black breeding heifer. There were breeding heifers in dowra too that made wild money - I can't understand how lads can justify €3000 for an unknown heifer just by the look of her. And I wonder what % of these €3000+ heifers actually breed a calf that's worth more than a normal weanling?

We have a a dozen weanling heifers for mohill on wednesday morning so hoping the strong trade will continue.

Here lads, It's hard enough to keep up with one mart let alone 3!! :laugh:

Cracking weanling heifer sale in Mohill today - one of the best that I have ever seen. We had 10 Charolais in it ranging from 295kg = €940, 365kg = €990, and one very fancy one 420kg = €1240

There must be different factories up around that neck of the woods compared to down here in the not so sunny south east....

There must be different factories up around that neck of the woods compared to down here in the not so sunny south east....
We are a long way from a factory in these parts. There would only be a handful of farmers in the county that would be fattening cattle for slaughter. Traditionally weanlings from around here would go to counties Meath, Longford, Westmeath and Offaly and some to the north of Ireland because we are only 20 miles from the border.

Although this year its hard to tell. At the bullock sale 2 weeks ago, a couple or article loads went to Carlow and one to Limerick.

The best of luck to them. I hope they get the factory prices that they are anticipating.

We are a long way from a factory in these parts. There would only be a handful of farmers in the county that would be fattening cattle for slaughter. Traditionally weanlings from around here would go to counties Meath, Longford, Westmeath and Offaly and some to the north of Ireland because we are only 20 miles from the border.

Although this year its hard to tell. At the bullock sale 2 weeks ago, a couple or article loads went to Carlow and one to Limerick.

The best of luck to them. I hope they get the factory prices that they are anticipating.
At that kind of money, for the fancy one anyways, I would expect they might be hoping to breed those heifers.

Calves seem to be a good trade . From looking online at various calf sales , quality seems to be good this year with very little rubbishy calves.

Back