At the mart...

anyone around calf sales at them minute?..caught a few minutes of a few online this week,..calves seem to be back a bit on the same date last year?
I made a big purchase today of 4 friesian bull calves. The price? "Sure you might give me a couple of days spreading fert and drawing in the silage"

I fear I have set an unsustainably high base in the market. Never was "let the buyer beware" more apt

I made a big purchase today of 4 friesian bull calves. The price? "Sure you might give me a couple of days spreading fert and drawing in the silage"

I fear I have set an unsustainably high base in the market. Never was "let the buyer beware" more apt

A couple of days spreading fertiliser,
And maybe a couple more days drawing silage

They could turn into a handful of dear enough calves...

Be interesting to see how the calves will go, with powder and other inputs taking a big jump will buyers hold off and see if they can buy reared ones throughout the year. Another thing is part time farmers who are working will be busier this spring compared the previous 2 because of covid so will they may be thinking the same also.

Show Sale at Sixmilebridge to day, only saw a very little on and off , good entry and some quality stock on offer.

Great to see the mart going well and well done to the people that got it back up and running.
I left early, great to see it going well. Got paid well for our two. The new mart manager is keen

Be interesting to see how the calves will go, with powder and other inputs taking a big jump will buyers hold off and see if they can buy reared ones throughout the year. Another thing is part time farmers who are working will be busier this spring compared the previous 2 because of covid so will they may be thinking the same also.
How much of a jump has powder etc taken?

Show Sale at Sixmilebridge to day, only saw a very little on and off , good entry and some quality stock on offer.

Great to see the mart going well and well done to the people that got it back up and running.
What sort of numbers is it getting now? Haven't stood in it 10yrs. Never understood why Clare marts didn't buy it 20yrs ago before it was reopened

The way the finishing model has gone now, marts are flourishing. No farmer will be sending cattle direct for slaughter for the foreseeable

What sort of numbers is it getting now? Haven't stood in it 10yrs. Never understood why Clare marts didn't buy it 20yrs ago before it was reopened

The way the finishing model has gone now, marts are flourishing. No farmer will be sending cattle direct for slaughter for the foreseeable
Clare Marts have Scariff on Saturdays, buying the Bridge would have meant closing Scariff which probably would have been the right thing to do but wouldn't have been very patatable to the east Clare farmers, Bridge wouldn't be getting huge numbers either

Clare Marts have Scariff on Saturdays, buying the Bridge would have meant closing Scariff which probably would have been the right thing to do but wouldn't have been very patatable to the east Clare farmers, Bridge wouldn't be getting huge numbers either
It would have made sense to buy out the competition especially with the pull SMB should have from the limerick side. For SMB, its the nearest mart for a huge area in Limerick which only has one mart in Killmallock

I sold stock in SMB a couple of weeks back , the day suited and I got on okish (hard to tell)

I thought the sellers fees were fairly high there. but haven't sold in any other mart since last april so don't know

I sold stock in SMB a couple of weeks back , the day suited and I got on okish (hard to tell)

I thought the sellers fees were fairly high there. but haven't sold in any other mart since last april so don't know

Going by sheet emailed to me from Central Auctions Roscrea, €2 odd entry fee , and €15 Commision for the seller.

Yours was hardly any more than that ?

Going by sheet emailed to me from Central Auctions Roscrea, €2 odd entry fee , and €15 Commision for the seller.

Yours was hardly any more than that ?
Just checked there and it was about that, (just under €17) I thought it was more for some reason,

must make a note of not to post without checking the facts

You'll get it down to 55, push the boys abit harder.

25e for fr bull calves in carnew yday. Not great at all.
is that for light holstein bulls e.g. heifers calves.its small money when the commission comes of them.feckers wont even cover the AI straw never mind what they drank

Most marts now getting €30 per big animal through the ring. If animal is sold 3 times, that 10% of the animals net worth gone on mart fees/contractor fees

Back