At what point do you say f* it I'll just buy the kit and do it myself.

Fuel, machinery cost increases, parts have increased, the cost of hiring labour legitimately has increased, steel, oil, grease, plastic, net, between a 10% and 40% increase in all those items
What is stoping you putting up the price ,you will hardly be able to stay in business if you are working at a loss .I am sure if you treat your customer fairly with a good service they will gladly pay

Fuel, machinery cost increases, parts have increased, the cost of hiring labour legitimately has increased, steel, oil, grease, plastic, net, between a 10% and 40% increase in all those items
I presume you reduced charges when diesel more than halved in price so you would be well justified increaseing charges now giving how everything has gone up.

What is stoping you putting up the price ,you will hardly be able to stay in business if you are working at a loss .I am sure if you treat your customer fairly with a good service they will gladly pay
I never said I was working for a loss I said prices should be 20% more than what they are.

I presume you reduced charges when diesel more than halved in price so you would be well justified increaseing charges now giving how everything has gone up.
Why would you presume that? I have the price of fuel last year was no where near as low as it was since the euro came in as that's the only place you can accurately benchmark prices against.
Diesel price drop was shorted lived it only lasted for the summer, machinery prices rose in the last number of years too, the cost of employing lads also went up.

I never said I was working for a loss I said prices should be 20% more than what they are.

Why would you presume that? I have the price of fuel last year was no where near as low as it was since the euro came in as that's the only place you can accurately benchmark prices against.
Diesel price drop was shorted lived it only lasted for the summer, machinery prices rose in the last number of years too, the cost of employing lads also went up.
Sorry but I don't follow what the price of fuel 20 years ago has to do with today. Anyway if you have calculated that your charges need to increase by 20 percent what's stopping you from doing it

Had a bad experience with builders in the last year where I was unable to do a job myself as I didn't have the kit, looking back I think I should have just bought it and done the job myself.
With regards to farming at what point would buying the kit and doing a job yourself instead of hiring a contractor start to make sense?

I know its a very general question but would love to hear your about your decision making process.
I know we've moved on a few pages but one answer is probably when contractor charges rise to what is sustainable and lads think for what the contractor is charging I could do it myself as I have the tractors and a few other bits and with another bit of kit I could bring the job in house so to speak and have full control over the timing of the operation, join up with Joe or Tom down the road and share the workload.

I know we've moved on a few pages but one answer is probably when contractor charges rise to what is sustainable and lads think for what the contractor is charging I could do it myself as I have the tractors and a few other bits and with another bit of kit I could bring the job in house so to speak and have full control over the timing of the operation, join up with Joe or Tom down the road and share the workload.
Isn't that how a lot of contracting outfits start, there's a row then and one lad goes out on his own........

How would you cull the numbers, out of interest? What criteria would you use?
I think a good idea would be the farmer would be able to claim back the vat on contracting working would be a good idea.
It's probably unworkable but a good starting point.
Proper insurance would be another thing to look into.
Its an industry that's very hard to regulate and everyone is entitled to try and make a living.
It the lads that don't need it to make a living are the issue imo.

I think a good idea would be the farmer would be able to claim back the vat on contracting working would be a good idea.
It's probably unworkable but a good starting point.
Proper insurance would be another thing to look into.
Its an industry that's very hard to regulate and everyone is entitled to try and make a living.
It the lads that don't need it to make a living are the issue imo.
I think I said it on here before, there are a lot of farmers who do a bit of contracting and a lot of contractors who do a bit of farming. The people who depend solely on contracting to make a living are getting scarcer and scarcer, and the system doesn't seem to recognise them at all.

Back