At what point do you say f* it I'll just buy the kit and do it myself.

I think a good idea would be the farmer would be able to claim back the vat on contracting working would be a good idea.
It's probably unworkable but a good starting point.
Proper insurance would be another thing to look into.
Its an industry that's very hard to regulate and everyone is entitled to try and make a living.
It the lads that don't need it to make a living are the issue imo.
I agree regarding the vat suggestion .

Crux of it as you say is everyone is entitled to make a living and noone is in any position to say whether someone else needs it to make a living or not.

I'm sure you were in a similar position to a lot of these lads you claim are ruining the industry when you were starting out. The fact you've been able to establish yourself is down to the quality of service you provided but everyone has to start somewhere

I dont see how allowing the farmer to reclaim the vat would make much difference.
Most contractors be they 'glory' or not are vat registered anyway, and it would be easy for those that werent to register if such an incentive were offered.
Also, it is perfectly legal for a smaller contractor to do €37,499 worth of work each year without being registered for, or charging vat.

I think a good idea would be the farmer would be able to claim back the vat on contracting working would be a good idea.
Its an industry that's very hard to regulate and everyone is entitled to try and make a living.
There was an article I read somewhere of a 2000acre tillage farmer who started milking 150 cows lately as a new entrant. Does he need them cows to make a living? That’s the way it is. I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

How much work are you losing because you're too expensive?

A good rule of thumb is that if you're not losing about a third of what you quote on price then you're probably not asking for enough.

Not contracting specific, but as a general rule of thumb for pricing work

That's the same in everything though. Hardly anyone lives off a farm income anymore, and even the ones that seem to in reality live off government subsidies. Its a sad state of affairs that suckler and sheep farmers are hobby farmers and are being persuaded to become paid environmentalists to offset German steel emissions, but that's the way of the world.
Hell half the yanks make their money on investments rather than farming it seems. And the guys like Bill Gates and Warren buffet are in the farming game too.
I don't think it's possible to say to someone to choose one income stream and that's it, in a way its like what mixed farming used to be, at any one point something was very profitable be it pigs potatoes beef milk sheep or grain, it was always safer to spread you assets across different income streams so you wouldn't lose everything.
Then the 90s hit and now everyone want to do one thing for as little as possible.

Back