Bale Shear.

13spanner

Anyone any experience of a bale shear that holds onto the plastic and net? How would they work with third cut or after grass bales that have been stacked 3 high and squashed into all sorts of shapes.

Anyone any experience of a bale shear that holds onto the plastic and net? How would they work with third cut or after grass bales that have been stacked 3 high and squashed into all sorts of shapes.
I bought a Rossmore one two years ago. With misshapen bales, I have to push up against a wall or two other bales to push the plastic back far enough for the holder to grab the plastic. No bother after that

No issue, If you look at the video Tanco have on their Youtube channel, they're using just the bales you're talking about.
I actually prefer not to grab the plastic and net. I split the bale in too, flip it over so the net and plastic can be removed by hand.Net and wrap easily separated then. I always find it holds on to silage if you grab plastic and net together.

No issue, If you look at the video Tanco have on their Youtube channel, they're using just the bales you're talking about.
I actually prefer not to grab the plastic and net. I split the bale in too, flip it over so the net and plastic can be removed by hand.Net and wrap easily separated then. I always find it holds on to silage if you grab plastic and net together.
Same here cut the bale in half and sit it down so you sort the net and plastic,sometimes the nets fairly wrapped up.

Anyone with any experience of using a bale shear to load silage bakes into a diet feeder. On the wish list for next year but I wouldn't bother with one if they can't be guaranteed to hold onto the plastic and net. The Keltec looks well built and I like that it doesn't use the tines to shear against.

Anyone with any experience of using a bale shear to load silage bakes into a diet feeder. On the wish list for next year but I wouldn't bother with one if they can't be guaranteed to hold onto the plastic and net. The Keltec looks well built and I like that it doesn't use the tines to shear against.
Use a shear bucket here that grabs the plastic & splits the bale. Split on the floor and reload into the feeder, sounds like time wasting, but it’s a quick way of doing it. If you had a bale shear over the feeder there might be a slight chance of a bit of plastic dangling into the feeder and getting caught.

Done it here with the tanco the wrap sometimes fell into the feeder or would get caught in the second half of the bale. Might work better with a teleporter. But I eventually just split the bale on the floor and loader it then. Slow work. Don’t use a feeder anymore thank god. They are a pain in the hole

Using a Cashels bale shear here works perfect for every sort of a bale only problem with it is the chunk of silage it holds onto while retaining the plastic , no bother really though because you have to seperate the netting and plastic after you get down anyway.
Know a lad with a teleporter and tanco bale shear loading bales straight into a diet feeder and never any bother Theres a nack to it too

Yes it can be used but Its not the handiest. it's quite hard to explain but the way the tanco shear works is it splits the bale in half and the bottom half falls down, then you move forward and the wrap on the cut half flips the half over so the cut face is on the floor. Then you can release the other half of the bale. When it's over the feeder you can't flip it over that easily and you could get stuck with the cut half hanging in the wrap like a fella lying in a hammock for want of a better description. It'll work away fine with normal first cut bales that hold their shape, But for bales taken off paddocks, you could be very unlucky.

The short version of above is it can work but it's not ideal, you're better off splitting on the ground and loading it after.

Tanco bale shear here, bought new in 09, works very well in 3rd cut wet bales that are squeezed to hell. Would definitely recommend one. Once I start feeding I never leave the cab til I’m finished.

After trying a keltec I am wanting to try a tanco. Trouble is the dealers don't seem to want to 😡

I know a guy who bought a keltec and doesn't use it now as was to heavy along with bale on the tractor

Is it not very hard on the blades and flights on an auger letting a bale in with a splitter into it more or less in the one go compared to a shear grab where it is being opened and all the silage isnt falling on the auger in one big heavy lump.see lads just dumping full bales in the one go.

Back