Bale Shear.

Is it not very hard on the blades and flights on an auger letting a bale in with a splitter into it more or less in the one go compared to a shear grab where it is being opened and all the silage isnt falling on the auger in one big heavy lump.see lads just dumping full bales in the one go.
Splitter is splitting the bale in 2 so it's not going in in one go. Besides 90% of silage comes off in one go with the sheargrab at work anyways, So one could argue a sheargrab is worse. Although a grab of silage would be easier broken up than a bale of course

Anyone with any experience of using a bale shear to load silage bakes into a diet feeder. On the wish list for next year but I wouldn't bother with one if they can't be guaranteed to hold onto the plastic and net. The Keltec looks well built and I like that it doesn't use the tines to shear against.
Have an oce one here that will split bales work on pit silage and it has a bucket on it for meal and I wouldn't be without it definitely the best machine that ever came into the yard. Tried splitting bales over the diet feeder but sometimes ended up with plastic in the feeder so I just split the bales on the ground now and then load them into the feeder. It's easier on the feeder and tractor on the feeder than throwing in a full bale. And it's a hell of a lot easier than having to separate plastic from silage if plastic and netting get in

Is it not very hard on the blades and flights on an auger letting a bale in with a splitter into it more or less in the one go compared to a shear grab where it is being opened and all the silage isnt falling on the auger in one big heavy lump.see lads just dumping full bales in the one go.
I wouldn't think so. The auger is built for serious hardship. Mixing dry bales puts more pressure on it.

Anyone ever used the McHale one, think it’s called RS4 or something like that?

it’s like their bale splitter but for the loader and holds the plastic

After trying a keltec I am wanting to try a tanco. Trouble is the dealers don't seem to want to 😡
Bought a keltec there a few weeks ago. Happy with it. Have it on a 140hp tractor and 2 bales on the back for weight. Keltec called to our yard before I bought it and worked it on my tractor and bought it off the lorry. In saying that I'm near keltec. What part of the country are you?

I use a keltec and you can tip the silage out gently from it rather than in two halves, net and plastic is held well up away from the silage.

Anyone with any experience of using a bale shear to load silage bakes into a diet feeder. On the wish list for next year but I wouldn't bother with one if they can't be guaranteed to hold onto the plastic and net. The Keltec looks well built and I like that it doesn't use the tines to shear against.
Neighbour has a keltec on a mf 860 and uses it to load into diet feeder. He is very happy with it, I was in a yard recently and they had a Tanco. They were happy with it but I thought that the keltec seemed to be better built but they were using it on a tractor loader so Tanco might be more suitable for that situation.

Have an oce one here that will split bales work on pit silage and it has a bucket on it for meal and I wouldn't be without it definitely the best machine that ever came into the yard. Tried splitting bales over the diet feeder but sometimes ended up with plastic in the feeder so I just split the bales on the ground now and then load them into the feeder. It's easier on the feeder and tractor on the feeder than throwing in a full bale. And it's a hell of a lot easier than having to separate plastic from silage if plastic and netting get in
Neighbour has the OCE as well, it's on a JCB 310, big enough lump of metal and with the straight edge takes something decent to push it a foot into a pit of grass or maize silage, a tine grab would be in twice the depth but the OCE opens very high so still gets a decent bite of stuff, nothing worthwhile gets lost on the yard and the fact that it can handle pit, bales, maize, brewers and concentrate without any changes is a massive timesaver particularly if you are doing a number of or different mixes.

Would a cheap narrow shear grab not do the job for a fraction of the price? I’ve seen lads often opening bales with one and keeping the plastic and net separate, load it up then again off the wall and into the feeder. All you need is a good edge on the shear grab

Would a cheap narrow shear grab not do the job for a fraction of the price? I’ve seen lads often opening bales with one and keeping the plastic and net separate, load it up then again off the wall and into the feeder. All you need is a good edge on the shear grab
The shear grab would be perfect for what your saying where your feeding bales into a diet feeder..but when your feeding out bales on their own along a feeding barrier..the bale shear is well worth the extra money just for how much easier it makes feeding in my oppinion

Bought a keltec there a few weeks ago. Happy with it. Have it on a 140hp tractor and 2 bales on the back for weight. Keltec called to our yard before I bought it and worked it on my tractor and bought it off the lorry. In saying that I'm near keltec. What part of the country are you?
Co. Down

The shear grab would be perfect for what your saying where your feeding bales into a diet feeder..but when your feeding out bales on their own along a feeding barrier..the bale shear is well worth the extra money just for how much easier it makes feeding in my oppinion
I don’t have either here but I’ve seen a fella feeding bales along a passage with a shear grab like I say and he seemed to be getting on very well

If you are using a chopper baler with 12 or 25 knives would the advantage of using it still be there or not?

Anyone else want to answer this one as i have no clue

If you are using a chopper baler with 12 or 25 knives would the advantage of using it still be there or not?

The number of knives you use won’t make much if any difference in slicing a bale with a bale slice. I use the Keltec on bales of hay and it makes it easy to take a few forks of hay from a bale afterwards.

I couldnt tell you that now, as we dont run knives in our baler so none of our bales are chopped, but to me, the main advantage is simply not having to get on and off the tractor constantly during feeding..the only small downside is having to separate plastic and net afterwards

Anyone ever used the McHale one, think it’s called RS4 or something like that?

it’s like their bale splitter but for the loader and holds the plastic
Looks a good job to be fair. Net could be seperated easily with a fork afterwards. Wouldn't suit in a double shed though.

Prodig shear genius here since 2013. On a Volvo bm l30. Works well with both bales and pit. Poor build quality in my opinion. Cracks started after little use. Plenty of welds on it now but still working. I think they have improved the design and strength since..

Tried a tanco multi shear for a week last year. It wasn't great in pit silage couldn't cut a block in one go and cut poorly, I sharpened it even though it was nearly new with little done and it improved slightly but still wasn't great found the little bit of silage in the net and plastic annoying and most of the time it left a piece of net on the bale so didn't load straight into feeder. The build didn't impress me either, one problem I saw was one of the rams was getting damaged from where the bracket had been welded on at the wrong angle and when the grab was opened right up it contacted the rod

Went with a 1.9m NC sheargrab instead and split the bales with it and find it every bit as good. Very easy split 7/8 bales along the passage hop down and gather the wraps, if it's just a few bales it's easy to sort the net and plastic from the seat with the tines

Got a tanco i70. Secondhand €2100.
If your feeding a lot of bales there a great yoke once you get used to it. Didn’t try it in ring feeder yet but I’d imagine with the bale dropping from a height you wouldn’t want cattle’s heads under it.

have a tanco one for years, good tool, if bales saggy when picking up I just squash them in against the pile of bales with the tractor and loader and that brings the plastic close enough to the little claw to get a hold of it, when filling a feeder i would drop the first half in and try and reverse abit till the hanging plastic is back over the side of the feeder, then move forward again and drop in rest..

Anyone here using a Cashel bale shear . Lad we do baling for has bought one and it’s struggling to shear bales of dry silage. Brought it to the yard here and tried different types of grass . Sheared dry grassy silage but a struggle failed to shear dry slightly stemmy silage . Only stuff it chopped with ease was wet 4th cut grassy silage . ?

I was talking to a lad the other day with a Keltec, he said it wouldn't cut a bale of hay which it probably wasn't tried on or intended for by the manufacturer, whats the cutting edge like, a light rub of a flap disc might do wonders for it.

Back