Bale Shear.

My keltec struggles to cut very dry silage.
I wouldn't have very stemmy stuff as a rule.average dry silage is ok not very dry

I was talking to a lad the other day with a Keltec, he said it wouldn't cut a bale of hay which it probably wasn't tried on or intended for by the manufacturer, whats the cutting edge like, a light rub of a flap disc might do wonders for it.
I’ve a Keltec and it’ll cut hay no problem. Have it on a digger so higher pressure than a tractor.

@Mf 7715 is using one on a tractor I think
I’ve a tanco bale shear on a tractor it’s on a 5712 now but has been on a 4255, I have 1 ton of weight on the back tho. Have taken 2 bales of silage from the stack with it, very strong machine. Never struggled to cut anything with it.

Anyone here using a Cashel bale shear . Lad we do baling for has bought one and it’s struggling to shear bales of dry silage. Brought it to the yard here and tried different types of grass . Sheared dry grassy silage but a struggle failed to shear dry slightly stemmy silage . Only stuff it chopped with ease was wet 4th cut grassy silage . ?
Have a Rossmore bale shear here and it's grand on normal silage but it does need regular sharpening if used on dry or stemmy silage.

Anyone here using a Cashel bale shear . Lad we do baling for has bought one and it’s struggling to shear bales of dry silage. Brought it to the yard here and tried different types of grass . Sheared dry grassy silage but a struggle failed to shear dry slightly stemmy silage . Only stuff it chopped with ease was wet 4th cut grassy silage . ?
Cashels bale shear here on a massey 6613/5455 and no bother ever with any bales chops them with ease I find

I’ve a tanco bale shear on a tractor it’s on a 5712 now but has been on a 4255, I have 1 ton of weight on the back tho. Have taken 2 bales of silage from the stack with it, very strong machine. Never struggled to cut anything with it.
Tanco here too and it never refuses to cut anything. Opened a haylage bale this morning that was frozen solid

I’ve a Keltec and it’ll cut hay no problem. Have it on a digger so higher pressure than a tractor.
Just picked up a keltec 2nd hand over the summer thought it was sharp enough only half got though the bale doubt it fully cut the plastic. Gave it a clean up and sharpen with a file, it was better but going try and sharpen it more how sharp need they be ?

The lad was on to cashel`s . They reckon it should go through hay no hassle so silage should be a doddle . Suggested a rub of a file and were to get back to him . Not great advice on a new machine

The lad was on to cashel`s . They reckon it should go through hay no hassle so silage should be a doddle . Suggested a rub of a file and were to get back to him . Not great advice on a new machine
I wonder what more they could do really like, I presume the rams and angles and what not are all the same and made on some class of jig and can't really mess much up

Just picked up a keltec 2nd hand over the summer thought it was sharp enough only half got though the bale doubt it fully cut the plastic. Gave it a clean up and sharpen with a file, it was better but going try and sharpen it more how sharp need they be ?
I would sharpen it using a flap sanding disc on a small angle grinder, it takes a lot of bales to make it blunt though.

How is the tractor managing lift wise with heavy bales? Hardly that the pump is struggling to build enough pressure in the system for the shear? I can’t say our shear grab would always be razor sharp and never shys away from chopping a bale.
Would be worth sticking it on a different tractor and trying to chop the same bales

That was the first thing we tried no difference .
How is the tractor managing lift wise with heavy bales? Hardly that the pump is struggling to build enough pressure in the system for the shear? I can’t say our shear grab would always be razor sharp and never shys away from chopping a bale.
Would be worth sticking it on a different tractor and trying to chop the same bales

Are they all a bit heavy for just a tractor. Youd definitely need a weight on back

The keltec is definitely a heavy lump. I tried one last spring on my tractor (mf 5713S).

No dealer wants to demo any of them at least not to me 😂.

Currently borrowing a Hustler bale feeder and for us I reckon it's a much better job

There’s massive rams on the Keltec for closing the shear, if the oil flow and pressure is there they’d give some push.

There’s massive rams on the Keltec for closing the shear, if the oil flow and pressure is there they’d give some push.
If the Tanco can do the job with the rams in the closing stroke to do the work the others like Keltec and Cashels should have no bother as they use the opening stroke which would give more power.

I ordered a Keltec a couple of weeks ago. A shortage of hydraulic rams is causing a delay. A dealership that sells both claims that the Keltec is only 50kg heavier than the Tanco which I found surprising.

Back