Bale trailer length

Need to get a flat trailer for bale transport. Mainly for fusion bales in the summer and other general haulage in winter so a Wilson type is not suitable. I know it's just a simple matter of 4 foot multiplied by the number of bales but in practice what length works well for either 5 , 6 or 7 bales along the floor? Don't have soft hands so bales will be loaded/unloaded the way they leave the baler and probably 1 row down the middle on the top row to avoid strapping

For 5 along the floor ,I think it 22.5 feet so if you had straight rack at back you would maybe give it 23 feet

Reactions: CCS
Need to get a flat trailer for bale transport. Mainly for fusion bales in the summer and other general haulage in winter so a Wilson type is not suitable. I know it's just a simple matter of 4 foot multiplied by the number of bales but in practice what length works well for either 5 , 6 or 7 bales along the floor? Don't have soft hands so bales will be loaded/unloaded the way they leave the baler and probably 1 row down the middle on the top row to avoid strapping

Would be drawing bale here made with a fusion have two trailers one is 27.5 foot other is 23 can bring 12 and 10 o the floor anyone we bale for with their own trailers cant get a bale per 4 foot eg no way 10 on floor of a 20 ft . For hay ,straw or bales in the winter time it might be ok at 4 foot as you can push and squeeze then in but wraps off the field id say minimum 4foot 4 or 4foot 6 to give room for different handler types i never reget the space your not catching the racks and can fly the bales on and off

26ft trailers in work . Drawing with the soft hands handler put 10 on the floor and 6 on top . For hay and straw and silage bales for the winter 12 on the floor and 7 / 14 bales on the second row .

If drawnig Mchale silage bales trailers will have to be a bit longer , 28 ft for 6 comfortably and 33 for 7. We have a 37 ft trailer and they would have to be perfect to get 8 Mchale bales on the floor, that’s with straw racks on, if you remove the back rack and put on a bar that slants back and comes up maybe 16 inches it allows a bit more room on the floor.

28 foot here, 6 along the floor and 7 on top, with gates angled at the top. You would get away with 27 but no harm to have the extra foot. Picture 1,000 words etc.
View attachment 87707

A brother in law bought a single axle cut down artic trailer about 4 years ago . Its 23 ft long, a lovely trailer to use , and holds 5 bales long on the floor perfectly .

My 26ft trailer holds 6 long comfortable but has no back rack which makes it easier and for drawing silage racks are no use imo.

I think the red one is 26’6” or there about a now, I had to cut the back rack off it as it was under 26 and was too loose for 5 and way to tight for 6. I left it removable when I re did it and it’s been off a few times drawing wrapped bales that may have sat a bit. DF4FAB25-1191-447F-8851-34C1EDA3F926.pngThe green we cut at 30’ but then extended the back bar out probably a foot, generally shove the last straw bale on from behind to get it in, but 7 wrapped will sit in ok normally46129E7D-0FF8-41D6-823C-E0FD193D934C.png

Big bale trailer we have is 27ft and goes 6 bales back. Want every bit of it to help not year bales. The small trailers are 18ft and go 4 bales back. Same reasoning again. General rule of thumb is multiply 4ft by amount of bales and add a couple of feet is what my old man used to build them and it worked a treat

I think the red one is 26’6” or there about a now, I had to cut the back rack off it as it was under 26 and was too loose for 5 and way to tight for 6. I left it removable when I re did it and it’s been off a few times drawing wrapped bales that may have sat a bit. View attachment 87776The green we cut at 30’ but then extended the back bar out probably a foot, generally shove the last straw bale on from behind to get it in, but 7 wrapped will sit in ok normallyView attachment 87777

The green one is a York trailer anyway!

flaming-river-steering-rack.jpg
:postpics:
This what you have in mind :flappytounge:

Have a 27ft and 24ft here loaded with a trunk handler. The 24ft is just that bit easier to get in and out of fields and yards, faster to load and empty so I find no difference in output between the two. I always end up hitching up the 24ft

The green one is a York trailer anyway!
Spot on bought it as a 45ft flat probably over 10 years ago at this stage, it was cut down from a curtain sider originally and is a bit twisty but not to bad. Not half as bad as the single axle 26’ the red one replaced😳

Back