Banger issue

Buddylove88

What are the laws with crow banger’s? I’m aware they have be use but our neighbours have one going off really early in the morning- 7.55am. Have a new born baby & a toddler & dog who won’t go outside the door since they started using it. Doesn’t stop till 7pm & shakes the windows every time it goes off. Wakes the baby in the morning too. Should I have a word with the neighbours? My 5 year old boy will not set foot out the door & the dog is the same.

What are the laws with crow banger’s? I’m aware they have be use but our neighbours have one going off really early in the morning- 7.55am. Have a new born baby & a toddler & dog who won’t go outside the door since they started using it. Doesn’t stop till 7pm & shakes the windows every time it goes off. Wakes the baby in the morning too. Should I have a word with the neighbours? My 5 year old boy will not set foot out the door & the dog is the same.
I have a number of bangers going in fields here.

Im unsure of the exact laws (if there are any) but there’s no way I would have it going before sunrise or after sundown.
I have mine timed to start at 8:30 and stop at 17:00.

Donegal County Council have a guide here https://www.donegalcoco.ie/services/environment/pollutioncontrol/noise pollution/nuisance caused by bird deterrents & scarers/

Edit: if it’s actually shaking your windows, it must be very close to you.
Is it a built up area and a small field? If not, surely they could move further away from your house?

Last edited by a moderator:
Work have had both the guards and the county council call over the banger going off in a yard . 8am to 10pm is the time aloud to run them as far as I know . Council only interested if above a certain decibels. Unless the banger is outside your window doubt very much it’s shaking it . Have a gentle word with the farmer be polite be confrontational about it and there’ll be no winners . He might be able to point it in a different direction / move it slightly which could lessen the disturbance on you . But countryside living comes with countryside noises . That you have to get used to .

Last edited:
I'd start by finding it and making sure it's not pointing at your house, if it is point it away from your house (and not at other houses!) hs probably doesn't realise how loud it is in your house.
If it's one if the ones on a tripod that moves around then have a word with the owner about the times, there really should be laws about the usage of these things, a neighbour here could have I going off every 5 minutes 24x7, it's too far from use for it to wake you but it can be heard and I'm sure the crows have got used to it after a few days.

Have a chat and explain the issue. Unless your neighbour is a proper bollix he or she will have no problem switching it off or pointing it a different direction. From what you say it sounds like it's very close to you and pointing directly at your house.

Have a word with the farmer before you go moving it yourself . You have no rights to touch it and there are laws governing there use . Moving it yourself and your on the the wrong footing with the farmer straight away . Talking is the only way to come to a solution for this .
I'd start by finding it and making sure it's not pointing at your house, if it is point it away from your house (and not at other houses!) hs probably doesn't realise how loud it is in your house.
If it's one if the ones on a tripod that moves around then have a word with the owner about the times, there really should be laws about the usage of these things, a neighbour here could have I going off every 5 minutes 24x7, it's too far from use for it to wake you but it can be heard and I'm sure the crows have got used to it after a few days.

Have a word with the farmer before you go moving it yourself . You have no rights to touch it and there are laws governing there use . Moving it yourself and your on the the wrong footing with the farmer straight away . Talking is the only way to come to a solution for this .
No harm asking I guess, it depends what sort he is, the one thing I'd say is that as someone who uses these (with timers and not near houses!) farmers should remember there is absolutely nothing you can do if your banger goes missing or develops sudden failure as the chances of catching someone it the act are zero so its best to work with your neighbours, there are other options if houses are very close.

I agree.
Most farms are approachable enough as long as your not going in all guns blazing!

Back