Bank text scam

massey 6480

Got a text message from my bank reporting suspicious activity from my bank card . Click on a the link to authorize or cancel request . Clicked the link only to be asked for my login in details . Thought something wasnt right . So googled and found you can email security of bank with the details of the text for them to check . Got email back stating it was fake . What made me think it was real was it came from the same number bank uses to send out text`s about offer`s and such . Another one to keep an eye out for .

Got a text message from my bank reporting suspicious activity from my bank card . Click on a the link to authorize or cancel request . Clicked the link only to be asked for my login in details . Thought something wasnt right . So googled and found you can email security of bank with the details of the text for them to check . Got email back stating it was fake . What made me think it was real was it came from the same number bank uses to send out text`s about offer`s and such . Another one to keep an eye out for .
Had 3 of those last week, put them in the nuisance phone calls thread. https://www.forum4farming.com/forum/index.php?threads/nuisance-phone-calls.7472/post-781190

Anyone get a txt from BOI looking for you to do a 2 min survey ? Friday , and a reminder today .
Main banking is with AIB . Think I've 150 odd in BOI ..

Contributions gratefully received .

Anyone get a txt from BOI looking for you to do a 2 min survey ? Friday , and a reminder today .
Main banking is with AIB . Think I've 150 odd in BOI ..

Contributions gratefully received .
I got the same texts on Friday and today, but they came in on the same number that BOI always text me on and there was a survey about a transaction in the local branch the week before. Never clicked anything as I reckon they have far too much information about their customers as it is.

exact same thing happened me about 3 years ago,was on the boat to uk and i booked my accommodation for the following night on the phone and within 10 minutes of booking it i got a text from aib through a number that aib had sent me several messages and aib still use to this day to text me,but the text stated there was irregular activity on my account and to log in throught the link,studied back through the texts and presumed it all genuine so like an eejit i logged in and went into my account and could see nothing wrong,
next day got two text messages from same number to say congratulations for activating apple pay on my debit and credit card accounts.so how they did it was,add their phone to my account with apple pay(which iv never used) and were able to have my cards registered to their phone and swipe the phone to pay.
bank contacted me the next day when the scammers spent near 2k on one card and over 1k on the other,
got all back but was just the hassle of it,and the annoying thing was they text me through a number that aib text me still to this day

Last edited:
exact same thing happened me about 3 years ago,was on the boat to uk and i booked my accommodation for the following night on the phone and within 10 minutes of booking it i got a text from aib through a number that aib had sent me several messages and aib still use to this day to text me,but the text stated there was irregular activity on my account and to log in throught the link,studied back through the texts and presumed it all genuine so like an eejit i logged in and went into my account and could see nothing wrong,
next day got two text messages from same number to say congratulations for activating apple pay on my debit and credit card accounts.
bank contacted me the next day when the scammers spent near 2k on one card and over 1k on the other,
got all back but was just the hassle of it,and the annoying thing was they text me through a number that aib text me still to this day

We were in the UK for a a cousins daughters wedding 5 yrs ago in 6 weeks time . My cousins partner booked us a pair of train tickets , and we were ate in a Thai restaurant. Not sure which transaction , or even if it was , but AIB card services rang me when I went to pay for a B&B , and card was stopped, but not before £3000 was gone . 1st iffy take was for $5 .
Like you , got it all back , but we were damn lucky that my wife had her card , and on her account . Would have been difficult otherwise .

We were in the UK for a a cousins daughters wedding 5 yrs ago in 6 weeks time . My cousins partner booked us a pair of train tickets , and we were ate in a Thai restaurant. Not sure which transaction , or even if it was , but AIB card services rang me when I went to pay for a B&B , and card was stopped, but not before £3000 was gone . 1st iffy take was for $5 .
Like you , got it all back , but we were damn lucky that my wife had her card , and on her account . Would have been difficult otherwise .
Card got done again about a year after that,never knew where but they bought phone credit,an ipad for €12/1400and some clothes for €600, but the bank rang me as I hadn’t noticed it,but they went back through all the recent transactions and asked me to say the ones I authorised,but i asked how did they cop the activity ,she said it was the phone credit that drew them to it,the seen i had a bill pay phone and a monthly direct debit for it and why would i be buying credit for a different network and that i never had bought credit before.

I got a text from the usual boi number last week too.from experience though once there Is a link to click on its time to get very careful.
A Google search told me it's now common.got caught once years ago so always suspicious

Had my credit cards done a couple of times ,got full refunds,and the reason I never use my debit card,my bro said “it’s alright,won’t happen to me because I’ve never any money in the bank”
The main thing to watch is never follow the link off the text,email etc,if in doubt ring the bank.

A huge one is invoices being intercepted through email.
Everything is the same but they change the bank details.
Know a lad that got caught for a 50 grand tractor

A huge one is invoices being intercepted through email.
Everything is the same but they change the bank details.
Know a lad that got caught for a 50 grand tractor
With a wire transfer?

I think a few computing classes might have been a good investment for that lad

Had my credit cards done a couple of times ,got full refunds,and the reason I never use my debit card,my bro said “it’s alright,won’t happen to me because I’ve never any money in the bank”
The main thing to watch is never follow the link off the text,email etc,if in doubt ring the bank.
Exactly this. I nearly got caught myself late one night but rang the banks helpline instead and was told to ignore it and check with them first.

Bank transfer.
If you are expecting an invoice you get said invoice but the bank details are different how would you know
I ring and verify the bank details, you probably have to get done to learn that lesson. I was once upon a time but I think it was only a hundred quid or so. It's a shite thing to happen

I ring and verify the bank details, you probably have to get done to learn that lesson. I was once upon a time but I think it was only a hundred quid or so. It's a shite thing to happen
It a very easy thing to happen even for people that consider themselves smart.

@johndeere6920s the best thing to do if using new bank details is to transfer a tiny amount today and check with the company if they received it, after that transfer away. On saying this, I transfered 4k to a new lad yesterday, without doing this

It a very easy thing to happen even for people that consider themselves smart.

@johndeere6920s the best thing to do if using new bank details is to transfer a tiny amount today and check with the company if they received it, after that transfer away. On saying this, I transfered 4k to a new lad yesterday, without doing this

Any of the transfers I've done lately I have got a phone call from the bank to say that I am transferring money to such and such and is it legit.
They can tell if its say a dealership by the bank details but they get you to confirm the person's details if its a private individual.
Some going to intercept and email from say a garage to me and change just the bank details and resend the email and make it look legit.

It's still easy happen if you were talking to someone and they said they are sending you an invoice tonight.
You get the invoice tonight you'd never imagine the details had been changed

It's still easy happen if you were talking to someone and they said they are sending you an invoice tonight.
You get the invoice tonight you'd never imagine the details had been changed
It is, it's just something you have to be proactive about in general unfortunately

Any of the transfers I've done lately I have got a phone call from the bank to say that I am transferring money to such and such and is it legit.
They can tell if its say a dealership by the bank details but they get you to confirm the person's details if its a private individual.
Some going to intercept and email from say a garage to me and change just the bank details and resend the email and make it look legit.
I'm told its pretty simple to these thieves.

I have made a few transfers to first time suppliers in the last few days and they went through as normal

One thing I will encourage people to do, is if you are no longer trading with someone you have their details stored online or once off transfers, to delete these contacts.

Fat fingers here was transferring money, half asleep about a month ago. Selected the company to transfer too and didn't notice I hit the supplier above who I wanted. Was swiping the "verification" notification and just as I saw my mistake I had transferred a big amount into a independent phone shop in Dublin that i bought a phone off for €150 a few months back. Thankfully they were 100% sound and had the money back in my account within an hour. I had visions of lads heading for Dublin Airport

My mrs once paid a part time helper £14k by accident,he wanted to take a screenshot of his account before he paid us back because he’d never had £14k before.😂
I once paid a roof sheet supplier £12k twice by accident,the internet dropped out and I didn’t get confirmation of the 1st payment,took 10secs to go but took a full 24 hrs to come back.

Our bank won’t let you pay into an account unless all the details match,correct account name etc

Back