Bargain basement reliable runaround

Yes mike I am over thinking this big time .I am set on a 08 1.8 diesel focus now but was told that they have a wet belt as well as a dry belt I wonder would all these belts be troublesome ?..

Yes mike I am over thinking this big time .I am set on a 08 1.8 diesel focus now but was told that they have a wet belt as well as a dry belt I wonder would all these belts be troublesome ?..
They're no trouble at all. These have the old duratorq engine, they're a great engine. I put 350k km on one and it was still going like a new one. The belts are good for 160k km.
How many km's on the one you're looking at?

Do they not like to lie down unless they’ve been given the big wheels and spacers treatment?

I was working out what mileage I do a year which is about 6,000 miles a 1,000 of this is pulling a cow box so with that kind of mileage would I be better of sticking with a petrol I wonder ?..

I was working out what mileage I do a year which is about 6,000 miles a 1,000 of this is pulling a cow box so with that kind of mileage would I be better of sticking with a petrol I wonder ?..
I wouldn't bother with diesel for those miles. Diesels don't like short journeys and not reaching there full operating temperature either.
Petrol engines have come on an awful lot in recent years and tbh thanks to the snow flakes diesel engines are a dirty word now. Chances are inside the next few years the taxing of such vehicles might make them very unattractive to own.

I wouldn't bother with diesel for those miles. Diesels don't like short journeys and not reaching there full operating temperature either.
Petrol engines have come on an awful lot in recent years and tbh thanks to the snow flakes diesel engines are a dirty word now. Chances are inside the next few years the taxing of such vehicles might make them very unattractive to own.

I wouldn't be worrying too much for the future years and what is going to happen, if you did that, you would take little action.

I'd agree with the rest of your points though but finding a petrol in the years that podge seems to be on about will be tough going.

Ya it’s hard to find a 1.6 petrol in the 08/09 bracket that would suit me ,
It’s easier to find a diesel in that bracket alrite,but if I am not doing the mileage will I run into trouble with the diesel I wonder ..

Buying a car 13/14 years old is a real lottery, if you are happy enough with what you have I see no reason to change especially doing those miles.

Devil you know and all of that.

I’m with mike on this one, I’ve a 12 2ltr diesel golf that gets plenty of short runs, most of the week it’s only doing 1-3 miles. Used to get a run of 50+ miles each way once or twice a week but not the last nearly 3 years, gets a bit of a longer run of a Sunday but not by much. But it does get driven hard now and again and it hasn’t thrown up any problems so far thankfully. It’s just clocked 140 and I think I bought it just barely over 90 and other than a few oil changes the only thing it’s got is tires, front pads and the timing belt around the 100k mark

I am/was happy with what I had only I have it with 10 years now and I wouldn’t mind a change,I would have to put a €1,000 or more into it now to put it back on the road ..

I am/was happy with what I had only I have it with 10 years now and I wouldn’t mind a change,I would have to put a €1,000 or more into it now to put it back on the road ..

You could have to spend that on anything you are looking at too.

What's the 1k on?

At that age, you have to be very picky on condition and pick something that has a good reputation to begin with.

So the car I had all along a 1.6 petrol avensis which never gave me any bother a great car, but I am thinking of going diesel now and was wondering could there be problems with dpf filters and stuff ?.. I was looking at a 08 1.8 diesel focus I think they dont have a dpf is that a good or s bad thing ....

More capable than pretty much anything in that regard.

My avensis is 01 mixed fleet !

What you have at the moment would have a legendary status for reliability, the "Ultimate Farmers Car " , possibly only surpassed by it predecessor The Carina.

At that age, you have to be very picky on condition and pick something that has a good reputation to begin with.

The 1k is for tyres,nct,tax which is (€514) .

Realistically , you are ot spending anything on the car itself.
Tax , not tyres will be needed on any car , on a continuous basis.

You will be the luckiest man alive , if you buy a 12 or 13 Yr old car , and dont end up spending money fixing the broken bits , before , having to tax not and tyre it too.

Drive on what you have

Until there is nothing left only the drivers seat.

What you have at the moment would have a legendary status for reliability, the "Ultimate Farmers Car " , possibly only surpassed by it predecessor The Carina.

Realistically , you are ot spending anything on the car itself.
Tax , not tyres will be needed on any car , on a continuous basis.

You will be the luckiest man alive , if you buy a 12 or 13 Yr old car , and dont end up spending money fixing the broken bits , before , having to tax not and tyre it too.

Drive on what you have

Until there is nothing left only the drivers seat.
Bang on there @jf 850 , that era of Avensis is the perfect match for the thread title.

Back