Bargain basement reliable runaround

What you have at the moment would have a legendary status for reliability, the "Ultimate Farmers Car " , possibly only surpassed by it predecessor The Carina.

Realistically , you are ot spending anything on the car itself.
Tax , not tyres will be needed on any car , on a continuous basis.

You will be the luckiest man alive , if you buy a 12 or 13 Yr old car , and dont end up spending money fixing the broken bits , before , having to tax not and tyre it too.

Drive on what you have

Until there is nothing left only the drivers seat.

Well said and the 300 in tax saving from a newer car is peanuts compared to what it could cost.

4 new tyres, you dont need top of the range Michelins for what you are driving as you are unlikely to wear out this set.

I'd be all for change if you were coming well up in the years but this change just seems to be for changes sake.

So I am between 3 cars
1.a 06 1.6 petrol Ford Focus €514 tax €1,300
2.a 07 1.6 petrol Mazda 3 €514 tax €1,400.
3.a 09 1.6 diesel Ford Focus €200 tax €3,600.

I only do about 100 miles a week at most so that is why I am looking at the petrols would I run into trouble with the Diesel engine only driving it once or twice a week ?

So I am between 3 cars
1.a 06 1.6 petrol Ford Focus €514 tax €1,300
2.a 07 1.6 petrol Mazda 3 €514 tax €1,400.
3.a 09 1.6 diesel Ford Focus €200 tax €3,600.

I only do about 100 miles a week at most so that is why I am looking at the petrols would I run into trouble with the Diesel engine only driving it once or twice a week ?
What sort of mileage is on these 3, TBH I'd go for the diesel focus, It'll do the best part of 20 more miles to the gallon and petrol is at least 10 c more a litre than diesel

I'm the opposite, I'd buy 1 or 2 based on condition, they're first cousins under the skin, both fine cars.

One diesel related repair will wipe out years of fuel savings at the miles you're doing

About 160 thousand miles on the 3 of them or there abouts .

Whats on your own Avensis ?

I'd take the Avensis , if its under 200 k.

A friend had a Mazda 626 years ago . A great car . But parts were a scandalous price for it.

170 miles on the avensis I know she is good for another 30k but I am sick of it a change at this stage would be no harm I reckon !

Was looking last week,a focus not far away 290000 miles,the current owner bought it with 140000 on the clock then found out via the web it had been clocked,in fairness it looked sub 100k miles,they do wear it well.

Was looking last week,a focus not far away 290000 miles,the current owner bought it with 140000 on the clock then found out via the web it had been clocked,in fairness it looked sub 100k miles,they do wear it well.
A friend of mine has an avensis with 360k on it and to look at the car you'd think it had sub 100k done. Apart from the fiesta I've never owned a car with less then 100k miles on it.

A friend of mine has an avensis with 360k on it and to look at the car you'd think it had sub 100k done. Apart from the fiesta I've never owned a car with less then 100k miles on it.
Mileage is just a number dp
My daily drive an 07 caddy.
20201105_111823.jpg

That’s the danger.
So will I go for the petrol or diesel do ye think ?..
I think the mileage your doing I wouldn’t be worried if it’s diesel or petrol being honest!

I completely get the feeling you have of wanting to change the car after having it so long and being just fed up of it, and for that reason I’d honestly say sit into them all and see what you like the most, it may not even be one that you’ve found yet, we only get one life, might aswell get to enjoy it as best we can so buy the car you’d like to be in rather than the one that’s necessarily the most suitable.

I had it in my head for a while that I wanted to change the car for a jeep just for the handiness of being able to tip in to check stock or do anything then I realised I’m really not arsed to drive one day in day out yet and that this may be my last chance to buy something a bit more just sorta fun. Still haven’t decided what I want but have found myself looking at coupe BMWs, merc A class, Audi A6 black editions and a few other random yokes on dd after getting stuck behind them on the road thinking hmm they don’t look to bad a car 😂

I think the mileage your doing I wouldn’t be worried if it’s diesel or petrol being honest!

I completely get the feeling you have of wanting to change the car after having it so long and being just fed up of it, and for that reason I’d honestly say sit into them all and see what you like the most, it may not even be one that you’ve found yet, we only get one life, might aswell get to enjoy it as best we can so buy the car you’d like to be in rather than the one that’s necessarily the most suitable.

I had it in my head for a while that I wanted to change the car for a jeep just for the handiness of being able to tip in to check stock or do anything then I realised I’m really not arsed to drive one day in day out yet and that this may be my last chance to buy something a bit more just sorta fun. Still haven’t decided what I want but have found myself looking at coupe BMWs, merc A class, Audi A6 black editions and a few other random yokes on dd after getting stuck behind them on the road thinking hmm they don’t look to bad a car 😂
Better the devil you know!

My brother has had more cars in a single year than I’ve had in 28years of driving,he just gets bored of them.

Better the devil you know!

My brother has had more cars in a single year than I’ve had in 28years of driving,he just gets bored of them.

A friend of mine , and @diesel power late father , sadly deceased, was a great Toyota man.
I remember well him telling me " I wonder will them Avensis do 300k ? (Miles ).
Bear in mind he rarely bought a car under 200k , and his outgoing at that time Carina2 had 325 on it , and was probably doing 30k miles a year , it was some faith in the product.

Usually if doing low miles in a car, its hard to get fed up of it, some get fonder of a car the longer they keep it. I had a car once for around 14 years, but have great memories of being in the back seat in the early days...:tt1:

If anyone in the North Wales area is after a good car for handy money I have a Citroen C3 Picasso for sale.
34k miles
Just had, and flown its MOT.
Few scratches from my Grandmother's poor parking choices (she used to blame everyone else in the car park!)
12 plate

Usually if doing low miles in a car, its hard to get fed up of it, some get fonder of a car the longer they keep it. I had a car once for around 14 years, but have great memories of being in the back seat in the early days...:tt1:
I had a fondness for our 504 pickup,the front bench seat meant I didn’t need to climb in the back.👩‍❤️‍👨💋😍

Landed back at girlfriends one night and parked up on the drive,climbed in the back and was getting jiggy when her parents landed down the drive in their motor,feck it was embarrassing getting out to get back into the driving seat.😮😁

Back