Bargain basement reliable runaround

josh

Moderator/IT Guy
Need to get a second car as a runaround. Want something super reliable, cheap to run and under €3k. Not going to be doing big mileage so fuel type isn't a big concern. What would you go for?

Most of the popular car models from 00 to 08 would be bulletproof if well serviced but if you go looking for a particullar model I would think the skoda octavia would take beating the vw golf and toyota coralla .I suppose the one thing to look out for is the price for taxing car as some pre '08 cars were pretty expensive to tax

The tax is the one - happy to keep it small enough to keep the tax lower. Anyone any experience of the Honda Jazz/Fit?

The tax is the one - happy to keep it small enough to keep the tax lower. Anyone any experience of the Honda Jazz/Fit?
Only know of one Honda Jazz and it didn't last long. Uncomfortable was the reason it was booted for a Polo.

Most of the popular car models from 00 to 08 would be bulletproof if well serviced but if you go looking for a particullar model I would think the skoda octavia would take beating the vw golf and toyota coralla .I suppose the one thing to look out for is the price for taxing car as some pre '08 cars were pretty expensive to tax

Anything before the end of June 2008 is the high tax, from 1st July 2008 on is the low tax.

Fiesta or Yaris if that's the size that suits candor.

Jazz are a decent car but not many about and parts tend to be dearer.

I christened it the festy :Thumbp2:
Aye and it stuck :Thumbp2:. To be fair I've done a good bit of going with it since getting it and it's only cost me 65 euro for a maf (mass air flow) sensor. Just routine servicing after that. 2 of the sisters had fiestas as well in their time and they were flawless cars.

How about Mazda 2 similar car to a fiesta
Here’s a 09 one for 2800
https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-2/23829630
upload_2020-1-11_8-15-57.jpeg

I actually saw a Yaris “commercial” in Cork the other day.....!!

Saw this yesterday, Porsche Cayenne. It was 161. From the green on it I don’t think it may have ever been washed. There genuinely was moss growing on the drivers window cill. Green under the door handles.

I suspect it was a Carlow barley barons runaround/farm vehicle.

EAFE87B5-CB2A-4B78-A92A-E45BCC2A2C02.png

Saw this yesterday, Porsche Cayenne. It was 161. From the green on it I don’t think it may have ever been washed. There genuinely was moss growing on the drivers window cill. Green under the door handles.

View attachment 73439
Tasty bit of parking.

Fiestas always did me fine first one came new in 79 , the only reason for going to a Fusion was more cargo space.

View attachment 73439
A motorbike would be big enough for that driver if that's the best they can do parking wise. Some folks have weird ideas, spend a fortune on a car and never wash, clean or service it. They probably reckon they've spent enough on it already. A salesman said to me once that the amount of people looking at €80k cars still ask what sort of mpg it does. His answer is if they're willing to spend €80k then mpg is not that important really.

There are a lot drivers who are not good with spatial awareness insist they need a SUV.
Parking an oversized vehicle with over sized doors in an ordinary car parking space is difficult.
I have seen way worse attempts, at least they didn't use 2 spaces or a special space and they didn't make it difficult for anyone else.

View attachment 73439

One of your lads in a hurry for his dinner at the elm tree ?

I had to buy a car in exactly the same category a little over a year ago. In a hurry. Ended up with a 07 1.6 petrol Jetta in top condition inside, good condition outside apart from peeling clear coat (why's it always red cars do this?) and a small dent on a fender. 150000 ish km. Sore on fuel. Can't remember what the tax was but it was enough. Came with fresh tyres and ended up needing a recon rear brake caliper at around €80. It came from an independent dealer but I knew the previous owner. My brother's driving it now. It cost a grand.

I might have a 03 Volvo S60 2.0 T petrol in test if you're interested.

I have a 00 avensis here but tax is out with a couple of months and was just thinking of changing it not sure whether it go for something similar or maybe smaller ..
I was also thinking I dont really need a car,only drive it 1 day in the week ..

I have a 00 avensis here but tax is out with a couple of months and was just thinking of changing it not sure whether it go for something similar or maybe smaller ..
I was also thinking I dont really need a car,only drive it 1 day in the week ..
You'd miss not having your own car if you let it go. A small and cheap to tax and insure car bought for handy money will cost very little to have.

I suppose I proabley would ! The only thing is my car wuld be pulling a cow box now and again so not sure wuld a small car be able for that ?..

The box is 8 by 5, no not a van neway .. was thinking of a Ford fiesta or maybe a focus would be better ....

Back