Beginning farming

Hi all,
I am about to begin sheep farming on my own. I have previous experience working with animals.

My plan is to buy 10 hoggets- probably mules What should I look out for/check when buying.

Also what essentials should I have for treating common illnesses.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

My advice is DONT DO IT!
Ha just kidding.

Hoggets will be an easier buy. Although a weather (two tooth we call them or 2yr old) that has reared might be easier as they will be better mothers.

Pointers will generally be the same as any animal.

Look for good size. If the hoget isn't over 45 kg by a year walk away.
Feet. Don't buy anything lame or looks like the foot isnt turned in, out or flat.
Teeth. Make sure they aren't over or under shot or crooked

General look of them I suppose. Bright eyed with a good fleece and perky in general.

Have a word with some local farms ask would they at least point you in the direction of a reputable breeder. Or give you some (socially distant) pointers. Hard to explain on a forum! Might be some breed society videos to watch?

As for essentials. If you can get some spare Heptavac and other vaccines from someone it is recommended. But might get expensive to buy for 10. Saying that you'll have few enough of them that it isnt vital.
Don't worry to much about anything else. A bottle of antibiotics if needed, but a chat with the vet is best there.

I'm becoming quite keen on Easy care sheep at the moment. They can look a mess but you needn't worry about shearing them or maggots. Wiltshire horn sheep are good dependable sheep and wool shedding too.

Where in the world are you?

My advice is DONT DO IT!
Ha just kidding.

Hoggets will be an easier buy. Although a weather (two tooth we call them or 2yr old) that has reared might be easier as they will be better mothers.

Feet. Don't buy anything lame or looks like the foot isnt turned in, out or flat.

General look of them I suppose. Bright eyed with a good fleece and perky in general.

Have a word with some local farms ask would they at least point you in the direction of a reputable breeder. Or give you some (socially distant) pointers. Hard to explain on a forum! Might be some breed society videos to watch?

As for essentials. If you can get some spare Heptavac and other vaccines from someone it is recommended. But might get expensive to buy for 10. Saying that you'll have few enough of them that it isnt vital.
Don't worry to much about anything else. A bottle of antibiotics if needed, but a chat with the vet is best there.

I'm becoming quite keen on Easy care sheep at the moment. They can look a mess but you needn't worry about shearing them or maggots. Wiltshire horn sheep are good dependable sheep and wool shedding too.

Thanks for all the advice just what I was looking for.
I know some local farmers so will have to ask their advice also.
I am located in the west of Ireland

My advice is DONT DO IT!
Ha just kidding.

Depends what your wanting to do,in Lancashire a Whether is a castrated male,we’d call anything with 2 teeth a shearling,male or female.

I have experience working with sheep on other farms. Just decided to give it a go mainly as a hobby

Are you wanting to lamb sheep,fatten them or grow them on?

If lambing you’re better off with a decent amount because watching 10 is as hard as watching 100.

A friend of mine, who farms a good few sheep says of them,
"Sheep have 2 aims, to brake out and to die, and if they can do the 2 together they really think they have achieved something".
Dad always said they have 3 aims in life. Get out, get lame and die but not necessarily in that order.

Sorry SHEARLING not weather! @young farmer 135 !!
Too many variations on the same thing!! And being Welsh means I have twice as many to pick from!!

As for the aims in life
We can controll the getting out
We can try to prevent the lameness or at least cure it.

But if she wants to die she will!!
When I gave up on sheep one of the biggest bonuses was not having to worry when away. I have yet to get a phone call from a neighbour that my wheat has broken out.

Depends what your wanting to do,in Lancashire a Whether is a castrated male,we’d call anything with 2 teeth a shearling,male or female.

Are you wanting to lamb sheep,fatten them or grow them on?

If lambing you’re better off with a decent amount because watching 10 is as hard as watching 100.

I intend to lamb them next spring. While I would like more sheep, I only have about 5/6 acres with good grass and fenced. I will have to out winter them as I haven’t many sheds and don’t want to have to buy lots of feed-atleast for the first year.

Thanks my plan for this year- what do ye think. Hope it makes sense

In your situation it might be best to run 12 or 15 dry ewe lambs. You get used to the sheep around the place plus if you can save a bit of grass up to outwinter them it won't take a lot of feeding to keep them

I may tell to add that one, but in fairness he has zero tolerance for lame ewes, they can do anything else but no lame ewes allowed.
Would be 50 odd years since he kept sheep. Reckons he only had them because it was "the done thing" to keep sheep on a traditional mixed farm.

If buying older ewes that have limbed have a good feel of the dugs (udders) . Don’t go near anything with lumps or enlarged teats ,no matter how cheap.It might sound obvious , but make sure the sheep is actually female and not a male castrated with a rubber ring. Also avoid anything with a very short or no tail as they are more prone to prolapse, or is that an old wives tale! Best of luck, you’ll either love them or hate them.

In your situation it might be best to run 12 or 15 dry ewe lambs. You get used to the sheep around the place plus if you can save a bit of grass up to outwinter them it won't take a lot of feeding to keep them

Are u saying to buy store lambs in autumn?? Or to stick to my plan and buy 10 hoggets to start lambing next year

Would it be simpler to buy the bit of winter feeding?

Back