Berthoud sprayer

FIAT 450

Well lads here's one for yas. Got the sprayer tested last year, and ever since the guys left the yard she hasn't been right. I used to be able to keep her at 2.5 bar putting out 100 liters to the acre and she would be spot on but now I have to drop pressure back and I find her all over the place now. Tis driving me up the fucking walls ere. I've over 100ac of band spraying to do for maize and I can't get her right. Just wondering if anyone had any issues after testing.

Well lads here's one for yas. Got the sprayer tested last year, and ever since the guys left the yard she hasn't been right. I used to be able to keep her at 2.5 bar putting out 100 liters to the acre and she would be spot on but now I have to drop pressure back and I find her all over the place now. Tis driving me up the fucking walls ere. I've over 100ac of band spraying to do for maize and I can't get her right. Just wondering if anyone had any issues after testing.
By any chance did you or they change the nozzles?

Nope nozzles weren't touched. They didn't have to change anything but wot ever they done she hasn't been the same

I'd check the pipework to and from the pump lad, sounds like she's drawing air somewhere

Here's a thing I had her set this morning at 2.5 bar spot on and when I came back to her now she has dropped pressure without me doing anything

Here's a thing I had her set this morning at 2.5 bar spot on and when I came back to her now she has dropped pressure without me doing anything

Take off all the filters and check the seals, they may have twisted one of the seals or they may be getting old.
A small bit of grease on the seals is a big help.

I'd check the pipework to and from the pump lad, sounds like she's drawing air somewhere

I'm with 6600.

Do these have the big diaphragm like a Hardi? Could be a split in it either have it was subjected to higher pressure during the test?

I thought you'd be on 80l/acre by the way!

No she's a oil based pump. Ya they up the pressure by twice wot you spray I think I stand to be corrected on that now. No like to keep volume up.

No she's a oil based pump. Ya they up the pressure by twice wot you spray I think I stand to be corrected on that now. No like to keep volume up.

Bit of an amateur mistake there on my behalf!

Do you notice the pressure dropping if you have certain sections off or does it matter?

Might help to isolate the area of your problem.

No have her all set that way set her with the control valves on the backs of she's all good that way.

Got to the filters today. Found 2 o rings were bet on the filter it's self now if that was causing the trouble iam not sure have it sorted now so will see how things go

Got to the filters today. Found 2 o rings were bet on the filter it's self now if that was causing the trouble iam not sure have it sorted now so will see how things go

Good man hopefully that will sort it for you.

I was going to suggest if the gauge was working properly but looks like you are there with it :Thumbp2:

An old thread here but the title is relevant to my question.
I bought a new Berthoud in 2018 and at this stage it has covered about 450 Hectares, with 21m booms @200lt per ha.
The nozzles were starting to give poor spray patterns when finishing crop spraying in June so I took them off and cleaned them with compressed air and viewed them through a magnified glass to make sure they were all clear. Then yesterday while spraying off stubble they were again very poor. I turned them all to the second option I have on which is low drift and finished off the job.
My question is would it be possible that after approx 2,140ltrs of water being put through each nozzle is it likely to be worn out or what kind of life should I expect from them? I would not be well up on nozzle types but it is REX red ones that they are.

I bought a new Berthoud in 2018 and at this stage it has covered about 450 Hectares, with 21m booms @200lt per ha.
The nozzles were starting to give poor spray patterns when finishing crop spraying in June so I took them off and cleaned them with compressed air and viewed them through a magnified glass to make sure they were all clear. Then yesterday while spraying off stubble they were again very poor. I turned them all to the second option I have on which is low drift and finished off the job.
My question is would it be possible that after approx 2,140ltrs of water being put through each nozzle is it likely to be worn out or what kind of life should I expect from them? I would not be well up on nozzle types but it is REX red ones that they are.
The Rex nozzles are ceramic so should not be worn, but could be damaged.
When you cleaned them did work correctly for a while?

I'd say the jets are bet

It would take a heck of a lot of spraying to wear out jets, I’d fit a pressure gauge on the end of the line to see what pressure you’re getting there. Low drift nozzles wouldn’t be affected as much by low pressure, my guess is pressure is escaping back to the tank after the gauge and valve chest/control box.

The Rex nozzles are ceramic so should not be worn, but could be damaged.
When you cleaned them did work correctly for a while?
I only cleaned them when finished in June so yesterday was my first day checking them out properly after a thorough cleaning.

l would say your problem could well be the filter. I have seen them Berthoud filters fail in a peculiar way a few times. The fibres in the filter can spread apart slightly. It’s very difficult to see it because there will be none of the fibres thorn but if look very carefully you will spot it. If the filter is damaged like that it will allow very small bits of dirt through, nothing big enough to block a nozzle but it will reck the spray pattern.

It would take a heck of a lot of spraying to wear out jets, I’d fit a pressure gauge on the end of the line to see what pressure you’re getting there. Low drift nozzles wouldn’t be affected as much by low pressure, my guess is pressure is escaping back to the tank after the gauge and valve chest/control box.
Thats what I was thinking, my acres are small and covering them 5 or 6 times a year would be all I am doing. It is DP tronic control so adjusts the pressure itself to suit ground speed, I have it working at around 2.2 to 2.4 bar. Isnt that how the DP tronic works that it allows excess pressure back to the tank I think.
I would not use the low drift nozzles much so when I changed over to them the spray pattern was almost perfect. So I don't think its a pressure or control issue.
Put another way, after what acreage would any of ye lads spraying big acres think of fitting a new set of nozzles?

I only cleaned them when finished in June so yesterday was my first day checking them out properly after a thorough cleaning.

I would be more inclined to think it is residue sitting in the lines, but would agree it is very unlikely that ceramic tips are worn.
Also it is very unusual to be able to see wear damage in the spray pattern.
I would take off end caps off all the boom sections and blast clean water through each section individually, then take off all the offending nozzles and all the filters, (replace any filters that look odd in any way or if over 2 years old) and leave to steep in a 10% solution of All-Clear for 10 minutes and the wash with a good washing up brush, then refit and 1/4 fill your sprayer add the rest of the can of All-Clear circulate through all the lines and leave circulating for about 10 minutes, the wash out with clean water.
The above should be done once a year at least.

l would say your problem could well be the filter. I have seen them Berthoud filters fail in a peculiar way a few times. The fibres in the filter can spread apart slightly. It’s very difficult to see it because there will be none of the fibres thorn but if look very carefully you will spot it. If the filter is damaged like that it will allow very small bits of dirt through, nothing big enough to block a nozzle but it will reck the spray pattern.
Thanks for that tip, I cleaned both of them when finishing in June but I will check again. I presume its the pressure filter you are referring to.
Its bloody hard to see anything wrong with the nozzle orifice with the naked eye, I had to use a magnified glass to check them in June and all looked clear so I blew them out and cleaned with a plastic tooth pick type thing for nozzles. Thing is they seemed much worse yesterday than before I cleaned them in June.

Thats what I was thinking, my acres are small and covering them 5 or 6 times a year would be all I am doing. It is DP tronic control so adjusts the pressure itself to suit ground speed, I have it working at around 2.2 to 2.4 bar. Isnt that how the DP tronic works that it allows excess pressure back to the tank I think.
I would not use the low drift nozzles much so when I changed over to them the spray pattern was almost perfect. So I don't think its a pressure or control issue.
Put another way, after what acreage would any of ye lads spraying big acres think of fitting a new set of nozzles?
I depends on the width of the sprayer, but in general, I would replace Polymer nozzles like Amistar/Guardian Air nozzles or most Teejet nozzles every 3rd year or each nozzle has done over 50Ha, (3,000ha on the 28M boom), with Ceramic nozzles I would replace them every 10 years, or 150Ha+ on each nozzle, (near 10,000 ha on the 28M boom).

Back