best dairy breed

so know you're blaming the vet?? why? what's wrong with our vet who has been completely fine in diagnosing all ailments except what is mysteriously wrong with our holstein cows. why shouldn't i listen to his advice that we need a different breed, he will gain nothing out of it?
maybe he is hoping the problem will go away if you change your breed, i dont know him so i cant say what kind of vet he is, but i do know there are vast ranges of the spectrum when it comes to vets.
im not totally blaming your vet, a second opinion never hurt anyone imo.
but any vet that would tell me there is nothing more you can do isnt doing his job imo.
like i say, i know nothing about milk cows, im just looking at it from the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry David
Held cleanings, Das, feet are a result of poor nutrition especially pre calving, get in a good nutritionist, test all the forage and get a concentrate and mineral to suit your farm. Feeding 2.5 ton for 6500 litres is crazy, how good is your grass and your silage? Whats in the meal, most of the standard dairy mixes are just filler.

Have you done tests for lepto, ibr, bvd and salmonella ? Have you done bloods for mineral status?
Having 3 good MRI out of 180 cows doesn’t mean much.

Earlier in thread
only for ya.:001_rolleyes:

if ya notice he didn't say if the tests came back as deficient in anything.

only for ya.:001_rolleyes:

if ya notice he didn't say if the tests came back as deficient in anything.

we had ibr but that was when things were really really bad, don't have ibr now. tested for the rest no mineral deficiencies found either although after changing from bag minerals to bolluses we have seen better results, no lepto, and can't remember if we had bvd too or not, but we vaccinate for all of those annually after we had ibr.

so know you're blaming the vet?? why? what's wrong with our vet who has been completely fine in diagnosing all ailments except what is mysteriously wrong with our holstein cows. why shouldn't i listen to his advice that we need a different breed, he will gain nothing out of it?

Sounds like erm, well if I heard my vet saying something similar, reading between the lines, he would be insinuating that he thought the herd manager wasnt capable of looking after a Thoroughbred and was more suited to a Shetland pony.

But neither would my vet ....
f it's not feet, it's twisted stomachs or holding the cleanings or cysts on the ovairies or just a lack of a will to live(had a heifer last year just was stubborn and wouldn't get up to come in for he evening milking, got the vet out to see if it was anything serious, couldn't see anything, left for another call and called in on his way back at two o'clock in the morn and she was dead vet had no explanation
),

Just stubborn:001_unsure::001_unsure: :no:

No matter what suggestions anyone has put forward, it sounds as if you have fallen out with the breed. So, yep, like the vet says, replace it.
Good luck

Sounds like erm, well if I heard my vet saying something similar, reading between the lines, he would be insinuating that he thought the herd manager wasnt capable of looking after a Thoroughbred and was more suited to a Shetland pony.

But neither would my vet ....
),

Just stubborn:001_unsure::001_unsure: :no:

No matter what suggestions anyone has put forward, it sounds as if you have fallen out with the breed. So, yep, like the vet says, replace it.
Good luck

yes we have fallen out with the breed, i think too many bad experiences has done that, maybe it is our management but short of putting in heaters and aircon to control temperature, dig out the passages and put in slatted tanks with automatic scrappers aswell or put in a washing system for the dung passage there isn't much else we can do. For us it's going to be an easier managed cow, maybe if we had maize silage and wholecrop they would do better but that isn't really and option for us as land is limited, and maize doesn't grow well in our area. thank you for your post though.

Narrow chests,lack of the will to survive,poor locomotion and a need for pampering beyond belief.Your not alone jcb411abuser around us the man making the most is the knacker man.And we have been Holstein for over 30 years 10000 litre average I'm just sick of seeing weary looking cows in the showring they are just not robust enough for a herd that work for a living.I just felt I had to post so joined.

Narrow chests,lack of the will to survive,poor locomotion and a need for pampering beyond belief.Your not alone jcb411abuser around us the man making the most is the knacker man.And we have been Holstein for over 30 years 10000 litre average I'm just sick of seeing weary looking cows in the showring they are just not robust enough for a herd that work for a living.I just felt I had to post so joined.

Welcome along:thumbup1: I am sure JCB411 will welcome a person to console, and any input:001_smile:

I've milked a few different herds in the last few years and have to agree on this one. The healthiest cows I've had experience of working with were MRI crosses but they looked like Belgian Blue X suckler cows and simply didn't give enough milk.

all these things have been looked into, when we had the vet out to sick cattle and asked him what to do better he said that there wasn't much else you could do, he saw the same problems as we have had all over the area he works in, and says that this is just a growing trend in the breed. and foot bathing is useless by the time all the cows are out the bath is so dirty they might aswell be walking in slurry, now we spray their feet in the parlour. and what are your results with AI?

Non dairy herd avg this year is 73% *autumn calving herd* in calf first service(lowest we have had for a long time). Vacecto with a paint dispenser thing under his chin running with them.

Non dairy herd avg this year is 73% *autumn calving herd* in calf first service(lowest we have had for a long time). Vacecto with a paint dispenser thing under his chin running with them.

i always liked the idea of the vasecto bull with the cows, if they are running he'll definitely see them.

i was going to say thank god we aren't the only ones but i know how tough things are especially now and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Back