Best low cost firewood setup

Around 20ft long give or take. I'm building it in Co with my turf cutting partner. He has a seemingly endless pile of the sort of chains on a destoner in the garden, so that's the conveyor itself sorted. I'll put two rams I took off a jcb 3c he has scrapped in the garden under it to lift it up or down. He has nice rollers to suit for the drive he got from a lad on BNM one time, they were throwing them out.

Ill use new metal for the chassis of the conveyor, probably 3 inch or 4 inch channel. I have to do a few calculations to see if the 3 inch is heavy enough.

I have an old axle off a car trailer I bought for 30 euros one time here. I'll. Put that under it for towing it around. The only thing I haven't thought about is the means of propelling it. We have hydraulic motors in stock but don't want to use them, id rather a mechanical drive of some description.

So not much more than a few hundred euros all in šŸ˜‚

Did you make a start yet , @Kieran97 ?

I have a foot deep of concrete on that same road .
Yesterday involved putting down 3 fence posts to replace broken ones, delivering timber, and going to a neighbour to adjust the cables in his hedge cutter for him

Next week on the cards so far

Service my car
Service the fathers car
Service the 9880
Service the 35
Change the Pto seal on the 35
Weld a crack in the shoring bucket of the digger
Look at an electric fence box to see why it's not working
Cut down two trees beside the hay shed before the wind brings them
More than likely timber to be cut and delivered
Give a lad a hand take the cab off his digger to refurbish it
Change tines in the reel of the baler

And then ill get to the conveyor

I'd want about 3 weeks holidays from work together to get all done

Yesterday involved putting down 3 fence posts to replace broken ones, delivering timber, and going to a neighbour to adjust the cables in his hedge cutter for him

Next week on the cards so far

Service my car
Service the fathers car
Service the 9880
Service the 35
Change the Pto seal on the 35
Weld a crack in the shoring bucket of the digger
Look at an electric fence box to see why it's not working
Cut down two trees beside the hay shed before the wind brings them
More than likely timber to be cut and delivered
Give a lad a hand take the cab off his digger to refurbish it
Change tines in the reel of the baler

And then ill get to the conveyor

I'd want about 3 weeks holidays from work together to get all done
What you doing Tuesday?

Got one of these log holders a couple of years ago, great job šŸ‘

This one isn't the same but is very similar https://www.donedeal.ie/otherfarmmachinery-for-sale/log-holder/22483873

log holder.jpg

log holder 2.jpg

What's everyone's feeling about the wanting to ban burning timber? Smokey coal is one thing but we've been burning timber since beginning of time. I was considering putting in a stove but I'm unsure how this will turn out? Is it only for towns/cities?

Hadn't.heard of.this.maybe the.boom.in stove sales will end?
Would there be anything.left allowed to burn at all.then?

Where did you see that John? They'll have some job trying to stop country people burning timber.

Where did you see that John? They'll have some job trying to stop country people burning timber.
They surely would, what would you do if a tree fell, leave it to rot ? what about all the ash plantations that have dieback ?

I was chainsawing with a neighbour the other day and he was telling me how the greens want smokey coal and unseasoned timber banned. Google it up and see..

I was chainsawing with a neighbour the other day and he was telling me how the greens want smokey coal and unseasoned timber banned. Google it up and see..
That's no bad thing if it is true, so long as they don't reach any further. Unseasoned timber gives low heat and results in a lot of creosote going up the flue or chimney.

It's hard to think of any other energy source that is truly sustainable and friendly to the environment compared with well seasoned timber. I'm talking about the total life cycle.

How do you 'police' unseasoned timber though, are they going to give the Tv licence inspectors moisture meters?
They will probably tax coal out of existence
It would take a special kind of stupid to ban normal dried timber while saying the wood ESB imports from America to burn in power stations is renewable.

Back