Best place to buy stakes and wire

I bought a lot of stuff of Jim at Dunne's sawmills drangan co. Tipperary, so far a Few years in and no complaints. Sound to deal with and delivered after hours too. All kiln dried with a guarantee apparently 087 211 4996 if that helps.
A friend of mine uses the steel stakes with the clip on insulators and reckons they are the best thing ever

Have you ever had to cut one? how far in is the creosote.

Does any one know if there is talk of a ban on creosote posts?
Yes,was in frs other day & it was said that after next February creosote posts won't be available to buy.may be some bundles knocking about after that, but production & sale to cease.

No concern though as another 40 year product is being developed by pdm, don't know what it is but as salesman put it " they say you'll be able to lick that post with your tongue & no bother on ya"

Aside to that i came across 6 foot posts, creosote pdm, 3 inch diameter, €7 inc vat they were. 60 in a bundle €400, also have them in 5 foots. Traditionally buy 4 to 5 inch 6foots here, they are shy of €9 each now, vat inc.

Still, as a uncle of mine once said to me, "an oul bullock twill buy a goodill of posts & wire yet & all"

Now now, creosote is being banned because it's carcinogenic, just think of the thousands of lives that will be saved every year, those poor unfortunate people who cannot contain themselves from licking fence posts.

It's laughable when you think of it, if "we " could still use creosote, fence posts would last longer and we'd not need to cut down so many trees to make new ones.... Or am I being too simplistic.....

Same as stubble burning if you left it too green up a bit you got a nice burn of off all your weed seeds on the surface etc thus using less glyphoste and potentially not having troubles with black grass n sterile brome etc but no no get the chemical match out.... Thenwe can ban that as well.....

Now now, creosote is being banned because it's carcinogenic, just think of the thousands of lives that will be saved every year, those poor unfortunate people who cannot contain themselves from licking fence posts.
My mother used to paint the floor boards with creosote and paraffin and then put us to bed in the room. Even at five years of age I often wondered. There was a wooden chicken house that used to get the treatment as well . It was in the way of a roadway my father was putting into a yard so was taken down and the timber burnt . I could never understand why they did not burn it where it stood and save the labour of taking it to pieces.

I wouldn’t recommend scanpole after my experience testing poles for the ESB.
Ask anyone in the ESB about scanpole and see what they say. Too big to fail is the scenario.

Out of all the poles I tested, new Scanpole poles failed. Nothing from PDM or going back to the 60s failed.
Interesting. What was the failure mode?

Ask anyone in the ESB about scanpole and see what they say. Too big to fail is the scenario.

Out of all the poles I tested, new Scanpole poles failed. Nothing from PDM or going back to the 60s failed.
Was it there poles were being pulled down chopped into 2ft lengths and containered to ship them to china to be disposed of properly(ie probably burnt in a power station)

Are octoposts ok?

James Geoghegan contacted me and showed me photos of PDM stuff.
So I’m removing myself from this. I have no interest or bias towards any company selling stakes or poles.

James Geoghegan contacted me and showed me photos of PDM stuff.
So I’m removing myself from this. I have no interest or bias towards any company selling stakes or poles.

That's laughable really, the same lad who loves to run down this place as much as possible elsewhere and couldn't behave himself on here so he ended up being banned.

I'm reminded of the saying a bad salesman always runs down the opposition instead of focusing on their own product.

Lads. I have no interest in what stakes anyone buys. It’s not my game or business. My original comment was made on my experience testing poles.

In ways and I hope people can see my sentiment; that my experience is not really relevant to stakes or poles sold now, from any provider.

What’s important is that a pole or stake is selected, preferably with tight grains, dried pressure treated and vacuum treated; using heat in the process; along with quality tests. Time will certainly prove who’s producing good stuff. And I’m in a situation where I might have to eat my words.

Cut any stake and pole and this is where you will quickly sort the wheat from the chaff.

What I said previous is water under the bridge. I could dig in and say my comments are valid, but they are as relevant as discussing a ship that has sailed.

I mentioned names and maybe I shouldn’t. It has little bearing.

What I can say is this; if you look at stakes being offered today; and cut them; it makes my initial statement as not really relevant.

This is why I removed my comments. Because it was not relevant.

If anyone wants to bother; I would be happy to bring my equipment and test poles or stakes. Not for any individual but for a group. Time would have to suit me, but I’d do it free of charge.

I’m not saying this would have any real relevance but it would be interesting if the forum wanted to approach this topic with more than hear say.

Lads. I have no interest in what stakes anyone buys. It’s not my game or business. My original comment was made on my experience testing poles.

In ways and I hope people can see my sentiment; that my experience is not really relevant to stakes or poles sold now, from any provider.

What’s important is that a pole or stake is selected, preferably with tight grains, dried pressure treated and vacuum treated; using heat in the process; along with quality tests. Time will certainly prove who’s producing good stuff. And I’m in a situation where I might have to eat my words.

Cut any stake and pole and this is where you will quickly sort the wheat from the chaff.

What I said previous is water under the bridge. I could dig in and say my comments are valid, but they are as relevant as discussing a ship that has sailed.

I mentioned names and maybe I shouldn’t. It has little bearing.

What I can say is this; if you look at stakes being offered today; and cut them; it makes my initial statement as not really relevant.

This is why I removed my comments. Because it was not relevant.

If anyone wants to bother; I would be happy to bring my equipment and test poles or stakes. Not for any individual but for a group. Time would have to suit me, but I’d do it free of charge.

I’m not saying this would have any real relevance but it would be interesting if the forum wanted to approach this topic with more than hear say.
That's fair enough. Don't mind that other man.

How long do they have to be in the ground for you to have a representative test?

I can test poles fresh; it will only detect decay. Nothing to do with treatment.

Pole testing is a tad hit and miss as most rot I occurs at ground level. And non of the sonic stuff tests below ground level; drilling is at an angle.

But what I was suggesting was if anyone wanted to compare different stakes ; we cut cut them but also drill and using ultrasonic waves; test the stakes for decay. No stakes or poles should have anything about I think 3-5% . It might be 8. I can’t remember the threshold.

Tbh I don’t think I can bring much to the table; a chainsaw will be better. But I’m just offering an option.

Cut a 5ft 6" scan pole today, here's what it looks like anyways. 11 euro each now, their getting very dear now although they all are. 6ft octo is 11.50 so much of a muchness.

Attachments

• IMG_20221122_161552.jpg
    IMG_20221122_161552.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 76
Back