Best way for sharpening chain

aidank

How does everyone sharpen the chainsaw chain ?

Are any of those edges your get to clamp on the chain and pull the trigger to sharpen the chain any good ?

Whether it’s a file or a chain grinder, they both take practice, sharpen with what you have
and take a new chain out on the saw, try your own half an hour before you want to quit
and see how it goes, that way you can take it home if it doesn’t work so good, have another
go at sharpening and try it again next time out.

Some chains are harder to file than others, their metal is harder, the original factory profile
can be very difficult to reproduce as it’s not the shape of a file, some chains are easier than others
because they are not too far off shape to get close to with a file.
It takes time to build up a picture of all the cutter shapes angles and hard or soft material used.

Good files are a must, Stihl or Pferd are good, Oregon too, there are diamond files but expensive,
you need a depth gauge too to set the rakers, a chain well sharpened will still not cut if the rakers
are too high.

Make sure you use the right file size too.

Last edited:
Whether it’s a file or a chain grinder, they both take practice, sharpen with what you have
and take a new chain out on the saw, try your own half an hour before you want to quit
and see how it goes, that way you can take it home if it doesn’t work so good, have another
go at sharpening and try it again next time out.

Some chains are harder to file than others, their metal is harder, the original factory profile
can be very difficult to reproduce as it’s not the shape of a file, some chains are easier than others
because they are not too far off shape to get close to with a file.
It takes time to build up a picture of all the cutter shapes angles and hard or soft material used.

Good files are a must, Stihl or Pferd are good, Oregon too, there are diamond files but expensive,
you need a depth gauge too to set the rakers, a chain well sharpened will still not cut if the rakers
are too high.

Make sure you use the right file size too.
A lot of good advice there, hard to beat a good quality file ,the right size to suit the chain.
Takes a bit of practice to get good at it but you get appreciation of what a good edge looks like and how to maintain it.
I have one of those fixed grinders that you remove the chain and feed it through, sharpening one tooth at a time.
It was hard on chains .I quit using it .

A lot of good advice there, hard to beat a good quality file ,the right size to suit the chain.
Takes a bit of practice to get good at it but you get appreciation of what a good edge looks like and how to maintain it.
I have one of those fixed grinders that you remove the chain and feed it through, sharpening one tooth at a time.
It was hard on chains .I quit using it .
Was thinking of getting a Tecomec same as Oregon 620, they shouldn’t be sore on a chain if
you only take a shade off, diamond stone runs way cooler and helps a lot.
What did your grinder do that was bad.

I only want a grinder because the boy who currently straightens up my
chains after a few hand sharpening takes too much off, wastes the chain,
and it’s too hard to sharpen after because of the heat.

I use a file tool like in the video above and it's easy to get a good edge if u dont let it get bad.have a lidl electric sharpener that you feed the chain through and it does the job.
Have gotten cheap chains from northern arb services in the uk and they seem perfect, great value and handy to have a supply.

I use a file tool like in the video above and it's easy to get a good edge if u dont let it get bad.have a lidl electric sharpener that you feed the chain through and it does the job.
Have gotten cheap chains from northern arb services in the uk and they seem perfect, great value and handy to have a supply.

Northern Arb have great chains and bars. I have gotten Wartek 20" chains for £10 each from them and they last longer than any main brand chain.

I use the stihl 2 in one sharpener its brilliant. It files the depth gauges as well as sharpening the teeth. One or 2 files and the saw is razor sharp.

Back