Bog Mans Archive

If not too personal what’s the plan in the future,next generation etc?
The younger generation have careers and I never expected them to do what I do . They are happy enough to let me muddle along for a few more years. I have no fear for the future because they have management skills that are way above managing a farm. Working out the tax implications of transferring everything would melt your head. Capital taxes are what will be used to pay off the covid debt and my fear is what is a problem now will be a bigger problem in five years. A lot of money left the UK after the Second World War when capital taxes were increased to pay war debt. There is a plan in place.

The younger generation have careers and I never expected them to do what I do . They are happy enough to let me muddle along for a few more years. I have no fear for the future because they have management skills that are way above managing a farm. Working out the tax implications of transferring everything would melt your head. Capital taxes are what will be used to pay off the covid debt and my fear is what is a problem now will be a bigger problem in five years. A lot of money left the UK after the Second World War when capital taxes were increased to pay war debt. There is a plan in place.
You'd wonder what they're doing with all the money. I heard on the radio the other day there are politicians with pensions of €100k a year that we're all paying for.

My grandfather and his brother had 250 acres between them but probably did not inherit until late in life .This farm was divided 4 ways between father uncle and 2 cousins .I always taught it was a pity it could not have been left together in that they were well off good farmers and should have come to some agreement in that they could have bought land elsewhere to set up the family .I suppose back in the late sixties when divided there was too much hardship in managing a big farm as well and fairest way was 4 way split .It is interesting the way farms are handed down .you would be wondering sometimes is there any planning or sense the way they are left

I’m not sure of the exact truth of it but I was told at one point that the German system was that if a farm was being left to 2 or more parties then each got their share of each bit. So if there was 10 fields of ten acres being divided in 2 each person would get 5 acres of each field rather than just dividing it straight down the middle and taking 50 acres each from each side

I’m not sure of the exact truth of it but I was told at one point that the German system was that if a farm was being left to 2 or more parties then each got their share of each bit. So if there was 10 fields of ten acres being divided in 2 each person would get 5 acres of each field rather than just dividing it straight down the middle and taking 50 acres each from each side
German fields don't have the same physical boundaries we do. So much easier to work.

I do remember being on an Austrian farm which had a patchwork of owners. Wooden stakes in the corners of each plot.
They pointed out each patch, made my head hurt!😂

I think you are underestimating the skills needed to manage a modern decent sized farm.whether someone with other options chooses to do it is a different debate but judging by your input here you have applied a high level of management on the farm in your own direction and without being anyone elses slave.
Maybe your skills would have been better rewarded elsewhere but that will never be known and you don't seem like a person with regrets

I would have 30 first Cousins and in general they have had successful careers with different outcomes. . There does seem to be a trend towards the legal profession for the more successful and working with animals for the least successful but probably the happiest. One cousin was President of a Bank with 1.6 Trillion in Assets and he seemed fairly happy. Another was an international lawyer involved with Oil exploration rights. Countries would shudder when the company he worked for turned up as the legal team. His sister has a small farm and teaches. In general my cousins have had very few marriage breakdowns and most are married for more than forty years.
One person’s success is another person’s what the feck was he thinking of .

My mother met my Canadian soldier father in 1942 and they got married and he got transferred back to Canada with her following him out there to Patawawa Camp. He then got transferred back to Europe for the invasion. Here are over 70 letters she wrote to him over two years. Would their marriage survive the separation. She speaks of how well she got on with his family and how her mother in England sent letters saying how nice her husband was to visit.

Attachments

• 9F9F6399-4D81-4C36-84E4-5D497B8804C2.jpeg
    9F9F6399-4D81-4C36-84E4-5D497B8804C2.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 27FC4E29-48AE-4634-87EC-8DE8B5FBB041.jpeg
    27FC4E29-48AE-4634-87EC-8DE8B5FBB041.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 36AD9B93-434D-4C6E-B163-45226613F908.jpeg
    36AD9B93-434D-4C6E-B163-45226613F908.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 24
  • A4D8D212-C7C1-438A-958B-1849AFDD23FF.jpeg
    A4D8D212-C7C1-438A-958B-1849AFDD23FF.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 27
  • FDA878E1-28FE-4E64-AEB1-B9378575CFDC.jpeg
    FDA878E1-28FE-4E64-AEB1-B9378575CFDC.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 29
She mentions people that had a brother and a fiancé killed the debacle at Arnhem and the Battle of the Bulge. She was working in a Bank and working with blind soldiers in a Red Cross hostel. Her friend did a course to teach Braille One soldier put his arms around her and then asked why she was blushing. She reckoned he had some sight .

My mother met my Canadian soldier father in 1942 and they got married and he got transferred back to Canada with her following him out there to Patawawa Camp. He then got transferred back to Europe for the invasion. Here are over 70 letters she wrote to him over two years. Would their marriage survive the separation. She speaks of how well she got on with his family and how her mother in England sent letters saying how nice her husband was to visit.
What became of your parents?

Where did they end up? I know you once said your father went back to Canada in 1970.

What became of your parents?

Where did they end up? I know you once said your father went back to Canada in 1970.
My father and mother reunited in England and moved to Ireland to a farm my Grandfather had inherited. Because my grandfather thought my father was going to be killed ( Death Duties ) or because he had fallen out with him the farm was left to my Uncles and Aunts. There was a complicated family settlement and my father ended up with the farm . He always said the Canadian army owed him a trip back. He finally went back to visit in 1970 . His sister is still alive and with it at 102 and a half. She was a radio operator in Newfoundland talking to planes hunting submarines in the North Atlantic while her husband did 65 daylight raids over Germany as a navigator gunner. In civilian life he was a Bank Manager in Guelph Ontario.

My father and mother reunited in England and moved to Ireland to a farm my Grandfather had inherited. Because my grandfather thought my father was going to be killed ( Death Duties ) or because he had fallen out with him the farm was left to my Uncles and Aunts. There was a complicated family settlement and my father ended up with the farm . He always said the Canadian army owed him a trip back. He finally went back to visit in 1970 . His sister is still alive and with it at 102 and a half. She was a radio operator in Newfoundland talking to planes hunting submarines in the North Atlantic while her husband did 65 daylight raids over Germany as a navigator gunner. In civilian life he was a Bank Manager in Guelph Ontario.
I know in this thread someone said you should write a book,if you don’t it’s great that there’s so much info written here,shame the earlier photos have the photobucket water mark.

I love history,I never did it at school because the teacher was an arse.

It’s great to see the letters and first hand information has survived this long, so much stuff got thrown out for various reasons including so many wanted just to forget about the whole rotten war. Travel, communication and survival back then was so different from today that not many realise it. My mother travelled to Montreal in the 50s on the Cunard Line, the trunk she carried her belongings in is still here somewhere and the trip took a large number of days. 5 hours on a plane now and you’re there. Different times.

My great grandfather and 3 of his kids went over to Canada on the cattle boat,I’m sure it took 3 weeks and conditions were grim,one fell off his horse while in Canada and my great grandfather went and brought him home and put him in the local mental hospital,he never told a soul and visited every week till he died.
They got to owning 3500 acres and in 2000 I was going out to help harvest but they sold the farm,since then the only surviving daughter has married another woman so that branch looks to have died out.

I know in this thread someone said you should write a book,if you don’t it’s great that there’s so much info written here,shame the earlier photos have the photobucket water mark.

There's the makings of a couple of books in the family history of @Bog Man .

Unfortunately for future generations, the likes of those letters , photos etc won't be there from present happenings .

Because we all phone or text one another , instead of writing letters .
Photos are taken on your phone , and rarely printed or saved.

The Netflix series would be great starting off with the Faulkner papers In 1786 Buck Whaley and the Final Faulkner marrying a Tribal chief daughter and getting killed fighting for her tribe. CPK buying the farm and leaving it to his niece who left it to Grandad . My mother’s Uncle jumping ship in Buenos Ares at 15 years of age and spending 10 years out there and coming home and walking up the street with a monkey on his back and running away to New Zealand with his brothers fiancé and his father drowning off Cape Finisterre . The 1930’s and WW2 the love and losses and dad’s part in the fall of Hitler 🧑‍🚀🧑‍🚀 helped by 1M Americans .a bit of romance in the 1970’s and throw in a few Ford 7600 and a TW . The present Generation are very sedate and would never keep up with the Kardashian’s.

Reading one of the letters and a cousin of my fathers was blown up in a tank and had to have plastic surgery. He then was in a Hotel and got blown out through the window by a V2 . I think he survived. Jim Fenlon is in Belgium and other people are in Holland. Jim Fenlon and Johnny Green and my father all signed up together. Johnny Greene was killed in Italy and Jim Fenlon fought all the way up Italy and then went to Belgium and into Germany and met the Russians. His first cousin owned the Salmon Pool in Thomastown and he had two cousin’s at the Fighting Cocks .

Fascinating stuff, times and people were tough then compared to now

As always I go looking for something and get distracted and three hours later I still have not found it. My father was buying a computer in 1987 .

Attachments

• A3DAA527-67CD-4F2A-98FE-061710905A66.jpeg
    A3DAA527-67CD-4F2A-98FE-061710905A66.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 73
  • 87F7CD1D-7D87-4678-A219-DEA2C7F6FBC0.jpeg
    87F7CD1D-7D87-4678-A219-DEA2C7F6FBC0.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 74
  • BD2236FB-DA83-402B-B576-B5086DE8EC0A.jpeg
    BD2236FB-DA83-402B-B576-B5086DE8EC0A.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 67
  • DF42595C-C997-4A57-B65C-72B26D569737.jpeg
    DF42595C-C997-4A57-B65C-72B26D569737.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 68
  • B5BDF609-77DA-4D61-9AA3-11123F77D2DE.jpeg
    B5BDF609-77DA-4D61-9AA3-11123F77D2DE.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 67
  • BF73BA1D-ECEC-40C1-8DD0-6F9D861ACD3A.jpeg
    BF73BA1D-ECEC-40C1-8DD0-6F9D861ACD3A.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 1BB098B8-A6CB-4085-ADE8-2C0F2224576E.jpeg
    1BB098B8-A6CB-4085-ADE8-2C0F2224576E.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 74
The Amstrad PC1512 was something of a breakthrough machine in the European market, an IBM compatible pc at a much lower price than the competition.
The development of the machine is described in entertaining detail in Alan Sugar's autobiography.

As always I go looking for something and get distracted and three hours later I still have not found it. My father was buying a computer in 1987 .
Isn’t that gas, he got a written quote. If you were doing the same today you would go into a computer place and have some young lad wearing a pants above his ankles with no socks bamboozle you with bullshite about terabytes and trot out a figure and ask you are you taking it and expect you to produce the credit card.
I must be getting old, I preferred the good ole days.

Isn’t that gas, he got a written quote. If you were doing the same today you would go into a computer place and have some young lad wearing a pants above his ankles with no socks bamboozle you with bullshite about terabytes and trot out a figure and ask you are you taking it and expect you to produce the credit card.
I must be getting old, I preferred the good ole days.

I found your description of the salesperson in the shop highly amusing .

And sadly very accurate 😕.

This journal is from 1957 and they were making bale silage in Dublin.
I wonder is Dardis and Dunne purveyors of seed related to @Crops .

Attachments

• 65469E99-00D0-4B5F-B619-96AE34099627.jpeg
    65469E99-00D0-4B5F-B619-96AE34099627.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 52
  • FBA8A38F-233F-44DB-9989-7767C13C13B2.jpeg
    FBA8A38F-233F-44DB-9989-7767C13C13B2.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 9AC7435A-A8AC-4B8C-9369-6BFD982849B3.jpeg
    9AC7435A-A8AC-4B8C-9369-6BFD982849B3.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 392EA16C-62E1-4037-B68A-CD6953896ACB.jpeg
    392EA16C-62E1-4037-B68A-CD6953896ACB.jpeg