Bord Bia inspection

bk1991

Will be haveing our bord bia quality assurance inspection soon what is looked at ? And what needs to be done ? This will be my first year been inspected .

How do you go about applying for it do u know. Haven't been in it since I got the herd number but have a few cattle to kill and it makes it easier to get them away wen ur qa

Medical records, feed records, meal storage. Medicine storage, ( clean out and dispose of anything out of date, and make sure you have a record of anything in it. The less the better) quick look around the yard. Is your herd register online?

Medical records, feed records, meal storage. Medicine storage, ( clean out and dispose of anything out of date, and make sure you have a record of anything in it. The less the better) quick look around the yard. Is your herd register online?

Use tonne bags of feed here. Are they acceptable?

Make sure you have something obvious wrong.
Inspectors over here are instructed to dig hard if they can't find something!!

Farm Safety notice and a footbath create a good impression on entry, Safety statement will be looked for. Animal remedies kept under lock and key.

Make sure you have prescriptions for any medicines you used and make doubly sure you've accounted for every cc of those medicines. The animal remedies book is the number 1 thing they will comb through. If you've lost any animals make sure you've the knackers receipt. After that have the yard fairly tidy and machinery and such neatly parked. The last lad that inspected me here didn't care one jot for the outside stuff but by God he went through the books with a fine tooth comb. Fert used and where it went, spray records and of coarse the animal injections and treatments. He took the most pathetic look around the yard that it was almost laughable and I think he only did that because I asked him "are you not going to look around outside as well"?. In fairness he was friendly enough but brand new at the job so I suppose he was doing it by the book. At the end of the inspection he said all was well and did I want to make any comments on bord bia or the inspection. Never got asked that before but I just said I couldn't help but wonder at the actual usefulness of Bord Bia as I couldn't see any extra money in my pocket because of it rather a way for the factories to pay less for any number of reasons. He did note it down but I suppose that got the shredder back at the office.

At the end of the inspection he said all was well and did I want to make any comments on bord bia or the inspection. Never got asked that before but I just said I couldn't help but wonder at the actual usefulness of Bord Bia as I couldn't see any extra money in my pocket because of it rather a way for the factories to pay less for any number of reasons. He did note it down but I suppose that got the shredder back at the office.
Good man.

I'll look forward to being asked that question the next time and my response will be much like yours. QA is such a total waste of time.

The last lad that inspected me here didn't care one jot for the outside stuff but by God he went through the books with a fine tooth comb. At the end of the inspection he said all was well and did I want to make any comments on bord bia or the inspection. Never got asked that before but I just said I couldn't help but wonder at the actual usefulness of Bord Bia as I couldn't see any extra money in my pocket because of it rather a way for the factories to pay less for any number of reasons. He did note it down but I suppose that got the shredder back at the office.
That would be the generic answer, " You would be getting less if you weren't QA"

Make sure you have prescriptions for any medicines you used and make doubly sure you've accounted for every cc of those medicines. The animal remedies book is the number 1 thing they will comb through. If you've lost any animals make sure you've the knackers receipt. After that have the yard fairly tidy and machinery and such neatly parked. The last lad that inspected me here didn't care one jot for the outside stuff but by God he went through the books with a fine tooth comb. Fert used and where it went, spray records and of coarse the animal injections and treatments. He took the most pathetic look around the yard that it was almost laughable and I think he only did that because I asked him "are you not going to look around outside as well"?. In fairness he was friendly enough but brand new at the job so I suppose he was doing it by the book. At the end of the inspection he said all was well and did I want to make any comments on bord bia or the inspection. Never got asked that before but I just said I couldn't help but wonder at the actual usefulness of Bord Bia as I couldn't see any extra money in my pocket because of it rather a way for the factories to pay less for any number of reasons. He did note it down but I suppose that got the shredder back at the office.

We were in bord bia a few yrs now but since the father passing i have not been the best at the records but i have most of it i can get that iv jotted down is this all in the bord bia green book ? Or is there other books to be filled ? The hears register is paper not gone online yet . All the doseing and pour ons iv used iv kept reciepts and same for feed and its all in half tonne bags . All bait points are drew out on a little map . The dogs worm dose has prescription .

Have you a consultant that helps you with your area aid etc? Ours put our herd book online, seemingly it's a 2 minute job.

How do you go about applying for it do u know. Haven't been in it since I got the herd number but have a few cattle to kill and it makes it easier to get them away wen ur qa

Try here I think:
https://farm.bordbia.ie/Support.aspx

What do they want to know about your fertiliser usage for, thats nothing to do with the animals???

or is it for this Origin Green idea and looking at the Greenhouse gas contributions etc??:scratchhead:

Try here I think:
https://farm.bordbia.ie/Support.aspx

What do they want to know about your fertiliser usage for, thats nothing to do with the animals???

or is it for this Origin Green idea and looking at the Greenhouse gas contributions etc??:scratchhead:
Have been asked for the details of my fertilizer usage a few times plus when you spread slurry and the length of the grazing season then you get back a letter showing your performance in percentage terms of efficiency for the various aspects relative to output.

We were in bord bia a few yrs now but since the father passing i have not been the best at the records but i have most of it i can get that iv jotted down is this all in the bord bia green book ? Or is there other books to be filled ? The hears register is paper not gone online yet . All the doseing and pour ons iv used iv kept reciepts and same for feed and its all in half tonne bags . All bait points are drew out on a little map . The dogs worm dose has prescription .
Once you've the bord bia book filled in or your own records your perfect. If you've an idea of what fert you used it would be no harm to write down in case your asked. They seem to ask me every time anyway. Just on your dog's worm dose, write that into your remedies book. What it was and when he got it.

Had a bord bia inspection last week, when asked have you a working dog? I replied I used to.. poor basterd was poisoned deliberately we think, handsome red setter only 2 years old, heartbroken......

We are getting ready to make the application for Bord Bia QA for the first time.
We have the check list from bord bia and have most of the stuff in order.
However, can anyone give us some guidance on our records?
How far back do we need to show animal remedy records for? Seeing as it is our first application, will 12 months be sufficient?
The same for medicine purchases? How far back do we need to go - will 12 months be ok?
Do we need to show receipts for medicine purchases? Or is the batch code enough?

Feed purchase records - we have receipts for all rolled barley purchased for the last 12 months, they show weight, but these receipts do not have our name on them - will we need to show these receipts and should they have our name on them?

How do we get a record book for recording all of this information? Is there a book or should we just record it in excel and print it for the inspection?

You should have gotten a bord bia pack delivered by registered post. The books for records are in it. One thing they look at is treatments and that withdrawal date clearance is noted. They will then look at an animal that was sold and check the withdrawal was up. Had my inspection on Monday. Was pulled up on no eye wash in medical kit and the dairy floor. Got 96%

You should have gotten a bord bia pack delivered by registered post. The books for records are in it. One thing they look at is treatments and that withdrawal date clearance is noted. They will then look at an animal that was sold and check the withdrawal was up. Had my inspection on Monday. Was pulled up on no eye wash in medical kit and the dairy floor. Got 96%

Haven't applied yet, so I don't expect to get the pack. I wonder how long I will have between receiving the pack and the inspection?

I got the pack in April and the lad rang me in May. I put him off until Monday. With the weather the way it was I wasn't ready for the inspection. I am in the dairy scheme . This was my 3rd inspection

I got the pack in April and the lad rang me in May. I put him off until Monday. With the weather the way it was I wasn't ready for the inspection. I am in the dairy scheme . This was my 3rd inspection

Got the pack around the same time with renewal in a few weeks time but not a dickeybird since :scratchhead:

Mucky,on the remedies you are meant to be recording those for cross compliance purposes, That's why it has a section in the older blue herd register.

Back