Brexit, Covid, War, and crazy prices

It's pure profiteering, no reason for the level of increases, I was looking at this earlier.

Seems everything is going up, and steeply.
Timber, Steel, Plastic, all building materials, Parts etc etc.
Where will it all end?
Id hate to be starting a house now.
Quantitative Easing.
If you keep pumping free money into all the world's economies Inflation is the only guaranteed outcome.
Add to that Envirofasists stopping timber processing.
Add to that the €80,000.00/€100,000.00 the government has added to the cost of building a house.
As you say a tough time for 1st time builders.

A builder said to me last week that if it was costing you €300k to build a house 12 months ago you could add another €40k to it now.

A builder said to me last week that if it was costing you €300k to build a house 12 months ago you could add another €40k to it now.
A builder told me that he priced a house in September and the materials were now €30k extra.

A builder told me that he priced a house in September and the materials were now €30k extra.
That's a problem now, people expect it to go up, also the government is going to start pumping money into housing to buy the next election, given the amount of unemployment prices should be dropping, tams hasn't helped with machinery price increases.

its not just houses. every piece of machinery for sale seems to be going up. i think there is extra demand for machinery too which only makes it worse.
I was talking to a machinery dealer earlier this year and he was saying that a lot of the factories are only doing half what they would normally due to social distancing and lack of parts to make the machinery. Many manufacturers are experiencing difficulties sourcing supplies and sourcing transport and shipping to get them to their factories.
It'll be a good while before supply lines are coming back near to normal and that's before you add in Brexit.

Young lad up the road is doing up a house and he has to wait three weeks for insulating . It is like decimalisation all over again .

Quantitative Easing.
If you keep pumping free money into all the world's economies Inflation is the only guaranteed outcome.
Add to that Envirofasists stopping timber processing.
Add to that the €80,000.00/€100,000.00 the government has added to the cost of building a house.
As you say a tough time for 1st time builders.
Meant to start my 2000sq foot bungalow in july. Builder rang last week he has to go through the figures again as there is more costs with increased price of material🙈 i initially wanted 1700sq foot but put on another room just incase . Mite take it off yet

Meant to start my 2000sq foot bungalow in july. Builder rang last week he has to go through the figures again as there is more costs with increased price of material🙈 i initially wanted 1700sq foot but put on another room just incase . Mite take it off yet
Had you a price agreed with him?

Had you a price agreed with him?
Yea had priced agreed. Look i understand the price increase and hes still coming in under 7 other builders prices . A lad wud get sum fright in the variation in prices . Yad want to be sure of ur job lasting 35 more years🤣 i will not go direct labour as im way too busy myself to deal with that hardship

Know of lad that priced a parlour last year with dairy master and only confirmed the deal recently and they honoured the quoted priced from last year . Neighbour has put in a rotary and was told the rotary alone would be 30% dearer if he was to be going at it now .

We would almost always be asked for a main contractor discount on Irish jobs by the big Irish contractors. Never yet been asked by an English contractor for work in the UK. Leading Irish company on today looking for the usual discount and boss man tells them there's no such thing anymore but we would honour our quoted price (job priced a few months back) which was fair enough i thought.

I was talking to a machinery dealer earlier this year and he was saying that a lot of the factories are only doing half what they would normally due to social distancing and lack of parts to make the machinery. Many manufacturers are experiencing difficulties sourcing supplies and sourcing transport and shipping to get them to their factories.
It'll be a good while before supply lines are coming back near to normal and that's before you add in Brexit.

It's not just agricultural machines either. A relative works on industrial machines and inputs are hard got but getting containers to ship product is proving difficult.

Anyone that I've talked to all say It's going to take a year plus to sort this out so you have go weigh up additional rent over that period or if you are in need for storage or animal housing.

With the delays I'm seeing and hearing about on products, any project would want to be started soon to get it done before 2022.

Back