8. Toby Falateau
9. Gareth Davies
10. Dan Biggar
11. Duhan van der Merwe
12. Robbie Henshaw
13. Jonathan Davies
14. Louis Rees Zammit
15. Stuart Hogg

I think the hardest selections are at loosehead and no.8, no one was a standout in either position for me. I'm picking Mako on past form and Falateau because he's Welsh and he's likely to be a starter in reality.
I think that midfield of Henshaw and Davies coupled with Hogg at fullback is a very dangerous inventive and defensively sound. Adding the raw power of van de Merwe and the exuberant Rees zammit on the wings that's an exciting backfield.
Ken owens is reliable as hooker, furlong is world class by any measure. Henderson is hard and steady and a real leader far exceeds his reputation from the media and is always rated higher by coaches evident by his consistent irish and lions selection. Itoje the trickster with a point to prove after that 6n. Those 2 really compliment each other imo. It's that contrast personalities with similar high level physical and leadership ability that I think will be inspiring for the whole team.
Tom Curry solid, good ball carrier hard working, beirne incredible poacher and inventive with game vision to see space when it appears close to the ruck.

So what do you guys think and who would you choose?

I don't know who would lose out from your selection but there is no way gatland is not going to start alun wyn Jones, itoje hasn't played well in the 6 Nations but we all know his capabilities, so I'd say Ian could miss out

I don't know who would lose out from your selection but there is no way gatland is not going to start alun wyn Jones, itoje hasn't played well in the 6 Nations but we all know his capabilities, so I'd say Ian could miss out
May for van der merwe, farrell for Biggar and like you say Mako if he got back to form but not on recent showings. I think Wyn Jones will be in and captain too.

I'm not sold on henshaw unless there's a creative player with him but he was great defensively last week

British & Irish Lions squad for South Africa

PROPS​

Mako Vunipola (England), Wyn Jones (Wales), Tadhg Furlong (Ireland), Andrew Porter (Ireland), Zander Fagerson (Scotland), Rory Sutherland (Scotland)

HOOKERS​

Ken Owens (Wales), Jamie George (England), Luke Cowan-Dickie (England)

SECOND ROW​

Maro Itoje (England), Alun Wyn Jones (Wales), Iain Henderson (Ireland), Tadhg Beirne (Ireland), Jonny Hill (England), Courtney Lawes (England)

BACK ROW​

Tom Curry (England), Hamish Watson (Scotland), Toby Faletau (Wales), Justin Tipuric (Wales), Jack Conan (Ireland), Sam Simmonds (England)

SCRUM-HALVES​

Conor Murray (Ireland), Gareth Davies (Wales), Ali Price (Scotland)

OUT-HALVES​

Dan Biggar (Wales), Finn Russell (Scotland)

CENTRES​

Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), Owen Farrell (England), Bundee Aki (Ireland), Elliot Daly (England), Chris Harris (Scotland),

BACK THREE​

Liam Williams (Wales), Stuart Hogg (Scotland), Louis Rees-Zammit (Wales), Anthony Watson (England), Josh Adams (Wales), Duhan van der Merwe (Scotland)

i just copy/paste there

Its some back three even without Johnny May!

I'd say Sexton is like a bull today. In fairness to Gatland, it would be risky to bring him given his injury profile. He'd definitely be a target.

Might be some call ups yet though if theres any injuries

Typical Gatland squad, big units to take on the SA big units. Feel sorry for Ryan as it was a major career development experience potentially for him and his future captaincy. This could be the dwindling out of sextons career as it’s unlikely his body will survive to next World Cup, he may get an injury call up but that brings interesting issues too with quarantine, bubbles etc. Conan was lucky to get in having played little and Aki another surprise due poor form, them boys just there for tackling. I think Ireland and Scotland got more players included than i expected.

looking forward to it though 👍

Back