Broadband router thingy

tm120

when am out in the garage can't get wifi. Is it as simple as running a phone wire from that router to another one in the garage ?

Not quite, you could get a wifi repeater but if the the distance is too far you might need to run an ethernet cable and put in a wifi access point.

How far are we talking here?

It's best if you can put the existing router you have in the centre of the house upstairs as that should give you best coverage in the house and surrounding area.

It's under the stairs at the min centre of house p. Garage about 45 steps from router

Am gonna run a tv Aerial cable out to garage at weekend what kind of wiire I need to run in case router upstairs doesn't work. Better looking at it than looking for it

Am gonna run a tv Aerial cable out to garage at weekend what kind of wiire I need to run in case router upstairs doesn't work. Better looking at it than looking for it

You need to run a heavy duty Cat 5 ethernet cable from the existing router to where you plan to put the new access point in the garage

I use Nova broadband, have been very happy with the service over the years.

In recent months however, it’s seemed to have really slowed down. Had been getting only about 3mbs despite paying €45/mth.
Numerous service calls/emails. They came out and replaced the satellite receiver but still no joy.

Met a neighbour who is on the same package, he recommended changing the router as the one they supply isn’t much good.

Well, bit the bullet and spent a few bob on a new one from amazon. It’s like night and day. Reliably up to 20mbs now when in line of sight of the router so happy days. I’ve put a plug in extender upstairs which works a treat.

Just posting this in case anyone else is having similar issues.

9081E429-6AE9-47B9-ADFB-2CEE911D09DF.jpeg

I use Nova broadband, have been very happy with the service over the years.

In recent months however, it’s seemed to have really slowed down. Had been getting only about 3mbs despite paying €45/mth.
Numerous service calls/emails. They came out and replaced the satellite receiver but still no joy.

Met a neighbour who is on the same package, he recommended changing the router as the one they supply isn’t much good.

Well, bit the bullet and spent a few bob on a new one from amazon. It’s like night and day. Reliably up to 20mbs now when in line of sight of the router so happy days. I’ve put a plug in extender upstairs which works a treat.

Just posting this in case anyone else is having similar issues.

View attachment 78998
What type of plug in extender did you get and how far does it send a signal? When we had a wired landline I have the workshop wired for a phone and had a handset in it for ordering parts etc as the mobile coverage is very poor in the workshop. 1mbs was the speed. Now we have wireless broadband and cordless house phone and we get 40mbs constantly. But the phone line along with old handset I used can’t be used with wireless broadband and the house phone or broadband won’t transmit outside thick walls. The workshop is 30 meters away, would your extender go that far do you think?

What type of plug in extender did you get and how far does it send a signal? When we had a wired landline I have the workshop wired for a phone and had a handset in it for ordering parts etc as the mobile coverage is very poor in the workshop. 1mbs was the speed. Now we have wireless broadband and cordless house phone and we get 40mbs constantly. But the phone line along with old handset I used can’t be used with wireless broadband and the house phone or broadband won’t transmit outside thick walls. The workshop is 30 meters away, would your extender go that far do you think?
It’s a TP Link extender but I wouldn’t expect it to go through the walls you describe. 30m should be no problem I’d say if it had line of sight. How about bringing a cable out from the house to the workshop and putting a wireless router at the end of it?

It’s a TP Link extender but I wouldn’t expect it to go through the walls you describe. 30m should be no problem I’d say if it had line of sight. How about bringing a cable out from the house to the workshop and putting a wireless router at the end of it?
I had thought of that and plugging it into the house router but my existing phone underground cable only has 4 wires and I think the Ethernet cable has 6 or more. It’d be difficult to route new cabling through the ducts back to the router which is in the centre of the house. It’s not a huge issue but I was getting a card reader for payment over the phone this year and I’d be making a lot of trips into the house for a signal to connect.

We bought a TPLink Powerline adapter kit here recently. 2 plugs in it. 1 plugs into the back of the router and it sends the WiFi signal across the powerline. Second one plugs in and takes the signal in the powerline and transmits a WiFi signal from it. Also has an Ethernet port to plug into if you want. It’d be ideal for your application, provided the house and workshop are coming off the same power source.
https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computin...adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10153178-pdt.html
This is the kit we got. Be wary of cheaper ones as they sell something very similar but it’s just a range extender, not a powerline kit. You can also get the powerline kit without the WiFi part which makes them cheaper too.

We bought a TPLink Powerline adapter kit here recently. 2 plugs in it. 1 plugs into the back of the router and it sends the WiFi signal across the powerline. Second one plugs in and takes the signal in the powerline and transmits a WiFi signal from it. Also has an Ethernet port to plug into if you want. It’d be ideal for your application, provided the house and workshop are coming off the same power source.
https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computin...adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10153178-pdt.html
This is the kit we got. Be wary of cheaper ones as they sell something very similar but it’s just a range extender, not a powerline kit. You can also get the powerline kit without the WiFi part which makes them cheaper too.
That sounds brilliant, thanks for the link!

That sounds brilliant, thanks for the link!
I use one similar to that but without the wifi, I can get near full wifi signal strength from the router downstairs but when your working from home the wifi will drop once or twice a day which is not great if you are on a video call etc, I got one of the powerline adapters and plug the router into one end and the laptop into the other via ethernet cable, it never drops!, great products!

I use one similar to that but without the wifi, I can get near full wifi signal strength from the router downstairs but when your working from home the wifi will drop once or twice a day which is not great if you are on a video call etc, I got one of the powerline adapters and plug the router into one end and the laptop into the other via ethernet cable, it never drops!, great products!
Good to hear positive reports on them, I’ve just ordered the one in the link so hopefully there’ll be another positive report then!

I’ve this set up also in shed about 40m from house on same power supply. Works really well-just remember to plug both ends directly into power socket and not double adapter etc. Very simple to setup and I’m not at all techie.

I’ve this set up also in shed about 40m from house on same power supply. Works really well-just remember to plug both ends directly into power socket and not double adapter etc. Very simple to setup and I’m not at all techie.
They will work through one, I have one plugged into one here working away fine.

View attachment 79210
What do i do next to get wifi out to the shed!?

Plug the lead into your router and then into the small plug. Then plug the small plug into the wall. Close by, plug in the big plug. Press the pair button on the small plug, then on the big plug. Give it a minute or two and they will pair. Then move the big plugh to the shed. |You will have wifi or you can connect by cable. The wifi code is printed on the top of the big plug

We got one a few weeks ago. Had been using a wifi booster as our router is in the attic - it had been slow. The TP Link has doubled our broadband speed. I guess it was losing strength as it travelled from the attic to the booster.

I have exactly that done here,I wouldn’t be fully up to speed on it here,but i got a friend to look to see was there anyway to get the internet in the workshop,he was going to transmit it but said its not great so decided to use a spare wire (cat5) i think that i have brought out for cameras and one of those extenders on the end of it in the shed,brilliant job

I dont have to plug anything into the shed sockets so?
You should have two pieces in the box. One plugs in beside modem and is connected to modem. Plug the second unit in wherever you want the extended network. ie the shed. I think to work, these systems must be on the same electrical circuit (fuse board)

What’s the best way of improving the WiFi around the yard / sheds . It’s across the road from the house so can’t use what’s been used above . You have signal in the yard just patchy .

Good to hear positive reports on them, I’ve just ordered the one in the link so hopefully there’ll be another positive report then!
Well it arrived, I paired the devices and it wont read it in the workshop for some reason. Tried it in far corners of the house and its working fine. Workshop is wired from the house fuseboard/meter so should be same circuit in general. B0!@@cks...

Well it arrived, I paired the devices and it wont read it in the workshop for some reason. Tried it in far corners of the house and its working fine. Workshop is wired from the house fuseboard/meter so should be same circuit in general. B0!@@cks...
Not being funny but have you got them plugged in the right way round? Only the big plug does wifi, the little one is what puts the internet into the house wires.

Back