Broadband router thingy

Getting back to this,
The question now is recommendations for a security camera in your shed or around your yard that works on wifi that you can view / operate from your phone..?
I have a DVR that works that way, I use Hilkivision app to view it on my phone. I have all the cameras hard wired to the DVR box just because I had ducting down for it anyway. For the calving period I use a few of these cameras focused on the calving unit, then when that's over I direct them around the yard. They are motion sensing also so a quick glance at the phone or IPad in the morning can show you if and what time there was action at. The installer says it's a good idea to leave all cameras on all year round as the small bit of heat generated keeps damp out and they generally don't give trouble then. A few amps is all they'd draw of power.

We bought a TPLink Powerline adapter kit here recently. 2 plugs in it. 1 plugs into the back of the router and it sends the WiFi signal across the powerline. Second one plugs in and takes the signal in the powerline and transmits a WiFi signal from it. Also has an Ethernet port to plug into if you want. It’d be ideal for your application, provided the house and workshop are coming off the same power source.
https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computin...adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10153178-pdt.html
This is the kit we got. Be wary of cheaper ones as they sell something very similar but it’s just a range extender, not a powerline kit. You can also get the powerline kit without the WiFi part which makes them cheaper too.
Just a post to how valuable a resource the forum is, I was looking to get the broadband out to the shed and I had a peek through this thread. I went and bought what @ZetorMan98 did and it works a treat.

Just a post to how valuable a resource the forum is, I was looking to get the broadband out to the shed and I had a peek through this thread. I went and bought what @ZetorMan98 did and it works a treat.
Great to hear it worked out for you. Our one is horrendously slow at the minute but it’s due to the fact it was relocated. Was working fine where it was bar you couldn’t get it in 1 room so it was moved unknown to me. You can connect to it now from anywhere in the house but good luck loading anything. I’ve tried moving it back and it works the finest until it’s moved again. There’s no talking to some people though :2guns::2guns::cursing:

Great to hear it worked out for you. Our one is horrendously slow at the minute but it’s due to the fact it was relocated. Was working fine where it was bar you couldn’t get it in 1 room so it was moved unknown to me. You can connect to it now from anywhere in the house but good luck loading anything. I’ve tried moving it back and it works the finest until it’s moved again. There’s no talking to some people though :2guns::2guns::cursing:
The one I fitted in the workshop seems to be working grand, I downloaded around 130gb of data a couple of weeks ago through it although I had the device plugged into it and it didn’t take long at all. Speed through it was around 40 mb/s.

The one I fitted in the workshop seems to be working grand, I downloaded around 130gb of data a couple of weeks ago through it although I had the device plugged into it and it didn’t take long at all. Speed through it was around 40 mb/s.
They’re a gift when set up right and left alone. Ours would have done plenty of big downloads and uploads as fast as being connected to the router. The particular socket it’s plugged into here is the issue, not a fault of the box. They’re on 2 extreme ends of different circuits and I’m suspecting a bit of interference from other devices along the way too. The fact there’s 7 of us in the house and all working and doing college/school from home it’s putting strain on it too

I have the same setup and they are ok. They can be a bit glitchy at times, and are sensitive to the power socket they are plugged into. If possible, running Ethernet cables is the best option.

I had them in the past and I found the link between the two units was perfect, but the wifi wasnt.

they have an ethernet port on them so I used keep the sky box at the time cabled via the tp links and it would never go down, but the wifi extension function might fail.

We got eir fibre broadband a bit over a year ago now, and to give credit to them the router they supply with it has a great wifi signal so we don't need the powerline adapters anymore. I use them now as an ethernet extension to an old desktop that I use for backups.

Back