Broadband

I'm not surprised... I had to deal with them recently to try and get fibre installed to the house. There is a pole 70 metres away from the house which the kn technician said would be no problem to connect to. They received the report and said they would enable it in the system. That is probably 3 or 4 months ago and nothing moved yet.

At least I hope you won't be like my next door neighbour who ended up with a pole in their garden and tracks in it and then were informed that they could not get fibre at all!

I found the performance of Eir's CEO very cocky and arrogant on PrimeTime last night and at the Oireachtas committee today. Blaming everyone but themselves for the issues came to mind.

At least I hope you won't be like my next door neighbour who ended up with a pole in their garden and tracks in it and then were informed that they could not get fibre at all!

I found the performance of Eir's CEO very cocky and arrogant on PrimeTime last night and at the Oireachtas committee today. Blaming everyone but themselves for the issues came to mind.
True, they were shite long before Covid,

Ouch, thankfully we don't have that problem.

The sooner they take responsibility the sooner the problems get fixed. As Arthur says, the problems were there long before covid.

Not sure if this is in the right thread but has any got any grief with vodaphone customer care from landline and broadband.christ there worse than eir.

I know things are not the same as a yr ago but ya could be waiting 20 mins plus to be answered, then somebody that doesn't understand transfers you to a another colleague / dept And then may be transferred again .ya could be on a hour and between transfers waiting for another " colleague " the line goes dead.
Patience is fast becoming thin

Not sure if this is in the right thread but has any got any grief with vodaphone customer care from landline and broadband.christ there worse than eir.

I know things are not the same as a yr ago but ya could be waiting 20 mins plus to be answered, then somebody that doesn't understand transfers you to a another colleague / dept And then may be transferred again .ya could be on a hour and between transfers waiting for another " colleague " the line goes dead.
Patience is fast becoming thin

my only advice is when taking out contracts, pay the little more for the ‘Business’ contract as when you do, you get better customer care, 3 for example, instead of dealing with an Indian call centre, i get someone based in Ireland, same with Vodafone, get transferred straight through to a ‘Business Support Associate’ and i honestly have no complaints over either provider.

my only advice is when taking out contracts, pay the little more for the ‘Business’ contract as when you do, you get better customer care, 3 for example, instead of dealing with an Indian call centre, i get someone based in Ireland, same with Vodafone, get transferred straight through to a ‘Business Support Associate’ and i honestly have no complaints over either provider.
I have my doubts about that statement,
I often have the Indian chap on!
Screenshot_20210122-161921_Messages.jpg

That seems very Odd, i get put through to the business unit down in Cork whenever i’ve had to call them. Can’t fault them.
I think their poor enough really with customer service, most times it would be easier to sort the error codes on a cvx than it would be to get on to them.

was watching some videos about it. seems a bit expensive with initial costs and the per month costs will burn a hole in your pocket but as long as the customer service is top notch and the connection improves, it will be a game changer

We built the house 10-11 years ago and I never bothered with a landline. Haven’t for one day missed it. We just use mobiles.

I pay Nova Networks about 45-50 euros a month and find the service excellent. It’s not what I’d call cheap but we have no line rent and I don’t bother with Sky.
The broadband comes in via a receiver on the roof.

View attachment 84381

Why do people bother with Eir or is there no other option in some places?

I haven’t had anything to do with them with almost 20 years.
View attachment 87541

Last edited:
Small few adjustments on the mobile broadband antenna, not too bad now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210808-103507.png
    Screenshot_20210808-103507.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 45
We are using 3 wireless broadband here in my part of East Cork. There is a mast 1.5miles away. It's the only option for us really as phone line can hardly handle a phone call not to mind broadband.
The one thing that was killing the signal was the wall and attic insulation. Outside speed would be 30mbs and bring the router inside and it drops to 3mbs at best. Got a brainwave lately to put the router in the attic and and put a wifi extender in the living room and it has worked a threat. 30-40mbs consistently. Maybe an option for others out there to boost their wifi speed.
I got the wifi extender in Harvey Norman and it's a TP Link AC750.

My contract with EIR is up on the 18th August for fixed line broadband. What do guys recommend, do i switch to vodaphone for next 12 months for discount or a different angle? How do you cancel with EIR if i do so?

My contract with EIR is up on the 18th August for fixed line broadband. What do guys recommend, do i switch to vodaphone for next 12 months for discount or a different angle? How do you cancel with EIR if i do so?
Vodafone do everything including the cancellation the sales man told me.
Changed to pure last year from eir and I didn't have to do anything either.

We are using 3 wireless broadband here in my part of East Cork. There is a mast 1.5miles away. It's the only option for us really as phone line can hardly handle a phone call not to mind broadband.
The one thing that was killing the signal was the wall and attic insulation. Outside speed would be 30mbs and bring the router inside and it drops to 3mbs at best. Got a brainwave lately to put the router in the attic and and put a wifi extender in the living room and it has worked a threat. 30-40mbs consistently. Maybe an option for others out there to boost their wifi speed.
That's a nice quick solution, especially if you already have a socket in the attic. For a bit more work, you'll get faster internet if you stick up an external antenna and run the cables down into your router in the house.

As a slight aside, I'm going to run some ethernet cables around the house into a few of the rooms to get the best connection to some fixed network appliances.

Thanks for the tip. We finished a new extension recently and the signal is much poorer in there than the original part of the house. Just getting too far from the router, I will give a call into Harvey’s during the week.

That's a nice quick solution, especially if you already have a socket in the attic. For a bit more work, you'll get faster internet if you stick up an external antenna and run the cables down into your router in the house.

As a slight aside, I'm going to run some ethernet cables around the house into a few of the rooms to get the best connection to some fixed network appliances.
That's a good tip that I'll keep in mind. We're okay at the moment but maybe when the kids get bigger.

We built in 2011 and it's a regret I have that we didn't put any cables like that in around the house.

12 months contract with Eir mobile broadband just completed. Cost 30 euro a month. Pretty solid 10mb download and upload. Does all we need it to do. Netflix, amazon, Disney, and now TV - can watch on 3 different TVs at the same time without it freezing. Have only had cause to call Eir once in the last 12 month and that was today to discuss renewing. It was supposed to go to 60 euro and I did a bit of bargaining to keep it at 30. Also have my phone on the contract with free calls, texts and unlimited data for 10 extra per month. All round happy.

Back