Budget 2023 - Ireland

nashmach

What are people's thoughts?

I'm.struggling to see how it will control inflation and not lead to price gouging.

That's without looking at too much detail.

Not directly a budget question, more of an inflation one....

Is there actually any good way to control inflation?

Raising interest rates seems to be the main option, which risks triggering recession. What other levers are their to pull.

It strikes me that any measures to relieve the pain of inflation will in their own way only postpone the inevitable correction. I'm not saying that we shouldn't take those sorts of measures but Im just wondering what else can be done

Not directly a budget question, more of an inflation one....

Is there actually any good way to control inflation?

Raising interest rates seems to be the main option, which risks triggering recession. What other levers are their to pull.

It strikes me that any measures to relieve the pain of inflation will in their own way only postpone the inevitable correction. I'm not saying that we shouldn't take those sorts of measures but Im just wondering what else can be done
Not sure I would recommend it, but.
Reduce government spending.
Reduce inflationary taxes like VAT, Carbon tax and this levy on concrete products.
Increase interest rates.
Increase all other taxes.

I don't remember them being bailed out, they almost went bust a couple of times.
What about Larry Goodman, bust for something like 700 million in the 90's..
The subsequent Beef Tribunal unravelled a series of complicated credit insurance schemes which pushed Mr Goodman's business into the ownership of the banks with debts of nearly €700m.

Five years later he bought back the business from the banks for €38m

What about Larry Goodman, bust for something like 700 million in the 90's..
The subsequent Beef Tribunal unravelled a series of complicated credit insurance schemes which pushed Mr Goodman's business into the ownership of the banks with debts of nearly €700m.

Five years later he bought back the business from the banks for €38m
I totally forgot the bold Larry, I hear the Crown is after him.
It is about the only time I will be shouting for the Crown.

From what I saw at work today, anyone that's not working (pensioners, unemployed, disabled) are fairly happy with yesterday's budget even though a lot of it doesn't kick in until January. Hard for a paye or self employed worker to see where they will benefit until tax credits show increased wages. One could argue that those on 30k to 40k got very little from it even though they are touted as the most squeezed due to the energy crisis.

There's a few anomalies. CE schemes. Who would do one for 23 euro a week more than dole - you can't even get fuel allowance on it which leaves you down 33 a week + 400 lump sum. But maybe they want rid of ce schemes and this is a way to get people off them.

Very little detail about farmers in it.

Back