Buying a digger for farm work

deere6320

Hi lads , thinking of buying a second hand digger for farm work to keep for 2-3 years and sell on hopefully without much depreciation, I have about 30 acres to drain and clear fur bushes from borders ,1km of roadway to build and was thinking of trying to change the slope in some of the wet fields by moving the subsoil ,I’ll have plenty of other small jobs and bits of reclamation to do , I’m guessing I’ll need a 12 or 13 ton but there’s a big price jump from the 8 ton,
I could budget from 25-40k at a stretch
Any thoughts or reccomendations welcome on size ,brand or anything’s welcome

Hi lads , thinking of buying a second hand digger for farm work to keep for 2-3 years and sell on hopefully without much depreciation, I have about 30 acres to drain and clear fur bushes from borders ,1km of roadway to build and was thinking of trying to change the slope in some of the wet fields by moving the subsoil ,I’ll have plenty of other small jobs and bits of reclamation to do , I’m guessing I’ll need a 12 or 13 ton but there’s a big price jump from the 8 ton,

Local lad bought a 13 ton hyundai this year as was do building work on the farm . Has 1000hrs clocked up on the machine and not missed a beat for him .

Well there's Hitachi, and Hitachi. Did I mention Hitachi?

Brother in law has a 8 ton machine. A great all rounder will do anything. But if you are planning on moving fields I'd be looking at a 13ton. A friend that does drainage work for me has one and is ideal. Even for loading off the ground into a trailer or digging out drains you can see into the drain better without having to stand up.

Brother in law has a 8 ton machine. A great all rounder will do anything. But if you are planning on moving fields I'd be looking at a 13ton. A friend that does drainage work for me has one and is ideal. Even for loading off the ground into a trailer or digging out drains you can see into the drain better without having to stand up.
Ya that’s the part I’m worried about, no one around here has ever tried it ,it would be a right pain if I had to get a breaker as well

You'll need to be spending closer to the 40 to get anything decent, i looked at a few recently on the lower end of your price range, they all had there issues,

Best time to buy a digger is around December,get into January and folk start thinking ahead.

like tractors they’ve lifted in value,it’s harder to find a bargain because unlike a tractor that lifts in spec every few years a digger just digs,there’s no 50kph,air brakes electric spools etc extra on them,also if you get a good one you keep it.

Reactions: AYF
I bought a late 2013 14t Hyundai with sub 3000 hrs on the clock 3 years ago,I can only fault it on the tracking speed being very fast,it’s probably worth about £25k now.

Back