Buying a plough for a 2wd

Blue Power

I am thinking of buying a plough for a ford 7610 2wd. I know nothing about ploughs and less about ploughing.

What size plough will I be buying, what do I need to look for and what is the price range? Thanks.

KV 4 sod conventional spring loaded plough. About 2k should get a reasonable one.

Or a KV 3 sod reversible but you may double the above.

I assume you are not talking about ploughing big acres.

I am thinking of buying a plough for a ford 7610 2wd. I know nothing about ploughs and less about ploughing.

What size plough will I be buying, what do I need to look for and what is the price range? Thanks.
I ploughed a lot of ground with a KV 3 F on a 2wd 76, a nice match.

KV 4 sod conventional spring loaded plough. About 2k should get a reasonable one.

Or a KV 3 sod reversible but you may double the above.

I assume you are not talking about ploughing big acres.

About 10 acres at a time. It's grassland hasn't been ploughed for 50 years.

2k, are they that much!

About 10 acres at a time. It's grassland hasn't been ploughed for 50 years.

2k, are they that much!
You’d get a round beam conventional plough without springs for less than 1k if you had clean ground. We pulled a 4 furrow round beam Kv with a Leyland 262 for about 20 years so you’ve plenty of power to spare.

I see a 7610 with a 3f on YouTube looked a nice match for it. Was ploughing tillage ground easy turn it over.
I would have been ploughing a more varied mix of ground back then, it handled everything that was thrown at it, I only changed when I started in the machinery sharing ring when I started ploughing serious acreage, I changed to a 4F and a 4wd MF4270.

What should I look out for on a second hand plough? What are the signs that a plough has a lot of work done?

There's a 3 sod round beam kv bomford here that's done a mountain of work in it's time. I'd class it as a great plough.
Just check any you look at aren't strained.

I sold a 4F one of those round beam KV 4 years ago for €750, it was in need of all new wearing parts though.

Great the tips will help when I go looking. Donedeal is the only place to go looking I guess

There is other places but finding them is the problem. There was one near me with a guy selling machinery and he didn't have it advertised, he has it sold but they never came to collect it yet and wants to check with him first if he still wants it.
There was a guy I work with put me in contact with a plough man that does a wee bit of buying and selling as a pastime, I think he gets them in England. he was telling me you won't get much for €750 and €1400 would get you a good one. I told him to keep a look out for one and he asked me how much of a hurry I was in, he told me he would ring me in a week which I thought was a bit quick, I'll see if he gets back to me

There’s a fella in mayo Brendan Mulroy, he is always advertising on DoneDeal. He had a good selection of stuff, he could be worth a phonecall

If you have stones, I wouldn't be thinking of buying one of the those KV non sprung ploughs. You'll end up doing more harm with it than anything.

Had one here for nearly 20 years, a fellow member bought it from us then.

For grassland, you could do with a full set of discs and Skimmers.

That one in your picture above is much older. Need to be more careful with the round beam ploughs too that you get one with number 8 bodies rather than number 3's or Hydreins.

An AD85 is the most modern one. This one was up yesterday on dd for 4k but it's gone now.
Screenshot_20200716-005703_DoneDeal.jpg Screenshot_20200716-005806_DoneDeal.jpg

Do you want a plough from the tractors era or one to work?

Always told buy a plough in a farm sale because it’s not sold for a reason,if you get a good plough you tend to keep it.

I used to plough with an old ransome tsr103 on our 7610,it ploughed a dream,I’m not a great fan of Kv ploughs,neighbours regular loosing his rear furrows.

Do you want a plough from the tractors era or one to work?

Always told buy a plough in a farm sale because it’s not sold for a reason,if you get a good plough you tend to keep it.

I used to plough with an old ransome tsr103 on our 7610,it ploughed a dream,I’m not a great fan of Kv ploughs,neighbours regular loosing his rear furrows.

One to work. I will have a look at the ransome. Is that a reversible model? I know nothing about ploughs. I will have to carry someone with me when I go looking.

If you have stones, I wouldn't be thinking of buying one of the those KV non sprung ploughs. You'll end up doing more harm with it than anything.

Had one here for nearly 20 years, a fellow member bought it from us then.

For grassland, you could do with a full set of discs and Skimmers.

That one in your picture above is much older. Need to be more careful with the round beam ploughs too that you get one with number 8 bodies rather than number 3's or Hydreins.

What's wrong with the number 3's or Hydreins

One to work. I will have a look at the ransome. Is that a reversible model? I know nothing about ploughs. I will have to carry someone with me when I go looking.

Don't go near a Ransome now, parts are not that easily sourced. At least with a KV a local dealer or spurious spares store will sort you out. A Ransomes will need to get parts from the UK

Back