Buying a plough for a 2wd

One to work. I will have a look at the ransome. Is that a reversible model? I know nothing about ploughs. I will have to carry someone with me when I go looking.

Yes reversible,last conventional plough used around these parts would be a 2 furrow on the 35 in the late 70s on the veg patch.

Don't go near a Ransome now, parts are not that easily sourced. At least with a KV a local dealer or spurious spares store will sort you out. A Ransomes will need to get parts from the UK

Hence why I asked if it was to use or show/own.

I regular buy parts from Eire and I see a lot on here buy from here so not really an issue.

I would be going for 4 furrow, easier to set up and pull as the plough is better balanced, also plough nearer hedgerow and wire fences..and whatever you buy make sure it has skimmers..!

And a ford 7610 2wd is able to plough grassland with a 4f? I appreciate you telling about the advantages of a 4f.

Yes reversible,last conventional plough used around these parts would be a 2 furrow on the 35 in the late 70s on the veg patch.

Hence why I asked if it was to use or show/own.

I regular buy parts from Eire and I see a lot on here buy from here so not really an issue.

Ah I'm with you scoff! Probably best Ransomes to get now is something with boards fitted to Dowdeswell ploughs too like the UCN boards.

It’s a no. 3 shin piece by the look of it but the boards look shallow enough to be Hydrein, could be the angle of the photo throwing me off.
If no.3 they’d do grand for ploughing a handy bit.

Do you think the boards are worn, need replacing, the way the bolt heads are proud of the boards?

Do you think the boards are worn, need replacing, the way the bolt heads are proud of the boards?
They could be the wrong bolts fitted, the way I’d judge a board worn is on the very end of the board where the tail piece is bolted on. I’ve seen the board ends worn down to the two holes that hold the tail on. If the boards get thin near the shin piece the holes in that area usually start to crack around the bolts from what I’ve seen. New no. 3 boards are €100+ vat each.

They could be the wrong bolts fitted, the way I’d judge a board worn is on the very end of the board where the tail piece is bolted on. I’ve seen the board ends worn down to the two holes that hold the tail on. If the boards get thin near the shin piece the holes in that area usually start to crack around the bolts from what I’ve seen. New no. 3 boards are €100+ vat each.

I presume that price is for spurious boards?
Is it true its very hard brighten spurious v genuine boards ?

I presume that price is for spurious boards?
Is it true its very hard brighten spurious v genuine boards ?
No, genuine apparently. I bought a reversible plough that came with a half set of spare Franke boards so I bought the other half set to match up. Franke boards cost €150 inc vat, I only found out afterwards that KV boards were cheaper!

Go for a KV conventional 3 furrow plough, 14". Spring loaded with disks and Skinner's. You should be ok for a land wheel. It will suit your tractor to the ground. Used to plough with a similar plough on a fiat 85-90

Back