Buying machinery in the UK post Brexit

ts115

Hi All,

Has anyone got any information on how buying machinery in the uk post Brexit will work, I know it will depend on what deal is done, but how will vat etc work.

I need to do some repairs on a shed, new gutters etc and I was looking at getting a safety cage, I rang a company up north about one but with current demand they wouldn't be able to deliver until January so I didn't order as they couldn't tell me what it would cost (girl on the phone didn't get the while Brexit thing), anyway anyone importing machinery etc get any briefing from revenue?

Hi All,

Has anyone got any information on how buying machinery in the uk post Brexit will work, I know it will depend on what deal is done, but how will vat etc work.

I need to do some repairs on a shed, new gutters etc and I was looking at getting a safety cage, I rang a company up north about one but with current demand they wouldn't be able to deliver until January so I didn't order as they couldn't tell me what it would cost (girl on the phone didn't get the while Brexit thing), anyway anyone importing machinery etc get any briefing from revenue?

I don't think anyone knows yet until there is a deal done

I don't think anyone knows yet until there is a deal done

this basically. I’ve had a few conversations with different people and as of yet, no-one is certain. I do keep hearing that there will be a zero tariff on used ag equipment. But i’m not certain of that, i’d also like to know what is defined as ag equipment, your cage probably wouldn’t be, but if right was right, every farm should have one.

If anyone knows what the story will be, could they tell me friday's euro millions numbers too.

I'm predicting a watery deal will be done, but any deal will require protocols and regulations to be put in place which will take time. and once a deal is done there's no need for grandstanding and no need to inflict unnessecary pain on the import/export sector so an extension will be agreed to the transition period that definitely wasn't going to be extended and it will all be relatively smooth.

A boy can dream right?

Is there going to be free trade between the north and south of Ireland? If so, u should be able to buy ur cage vat free with your IE Vat no. in January. At least I’m thinking that’s the case. Buying goods from mainland UK will be different tho. (Although I could be talking complete rubbish)

Is there going to be free trade between the north and south of Ireland? If so, u should be able to buy ur cage vat free with your IE Vat no. in January. At least I’m thinking that’s the case. Buying goods from mainland UK will be different tho. (Although I could be talking complete rubbish)
We'll still have to wait on the deal to see if there is going to be free trade between the North and South
I would say a lot of the goods that were bought in England before will be bought in NI in the future:wink:

this basically. I’ve had a few conversations with different people and as of yet, no-one is certain. I do keep hearing that there will be a zero tariff on used ag equipment. But i’m not certain of that, i’d also like to know what is defined as ag equipment, your cage probably wouldn’t be, but if right was right, every farm should have one.
It's a new one I was looking at, I'm not in a major rush so I'll probably wait until January and see what the situation is then, not sure I'd bother registering with EORI for something so small, nearly everything decent looking new on DD seems to be made in NI, looking for a 8x4 one.

"Economic Operators' Registration and Identification System (EORI)" https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/customs-electronic-systems/eori-system.aspx
I got a letter from revenue saying I needed an eori number if I wanted to import machinery from the UK after Brexit. Probably because I brought in a tractor. It's the same as my vat number and an accountant can register for it or you can do it via Ros as far as I know
Just looked at that video there now, you don't need the EORI number for NI, you need it for the UK excluding NI.

I really hope it doesn't become difficult to deal over there for a non dealer buyer, most things we have bought in the last 10 years has been from the UK. Have found it much easier to deal on the other side of the water, much rather their way of doing business.

I really hope it doesn't become difficult to deal over there for a non dealer buyer, most things we have bought in the last 10 years has been from the UK. Have found it much easier to deal on the other side of the water, much rather their way of doing business.
Brokers will become the norm in the worst case scenario

Im looking at a used timber machine in the UK, does anyone have up to date info.

Do I need to pay the vat to the UK seller?
Will it need that photoclean thing?
If I collect it myself, will it get held up with customs or would it be easier go via scotland and then NI?

You dont pay vat to seller but you pay to irish customs. You will need a clearing agent even if you collect yourself and even if you go through NI still has to be processed through customs
I'd say you will need clean cert if coming direct to roi.

TBh i dont mind the cleaning nor the cost; afterall its to avoid spreading pests and diseases. Im just more concerned with the collection and delivery part. Yeah I thought with the vat element, there was a change. As someone elsewhere (maybe on another forum ) said; with second hand equipment, vat was already paid into the EU if the machine was first registered prior to brexit.

TBh i dont mind the cleaning nor the cost; afterall its to avoid spreading pests and diseases. Im just more concerned with the collection and delivery part. Yeah I thought with the vat element, there was a change. As someone elsewhere (maybe on another forum ) said; with second hand equipment, vat was already paid into the EU if the machine was first registered prior to brexit.
its a joke though it doesn't stop the spread of pests really - its impossible to micro clean machinery and animals and plant material can still be moved without a clean cert.

Looking at buying a machine in the North with No Vat, seeing as Northern Ireland is still seen as an EU Member state for movement of goods does that mean it would be the very same as buying a machine with no vat down south ? Any extra information would be welcomed

Back